XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Best way from rooted ME7 to rooted MK2

Tip us?

agentmuzz
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Best way from rooted ME7 to rooted MK2

I am on rooted ME7. I defrosted all the apps I had frozen with TB. I read through all 46 pages of the thread for rooting MK2. However, I didn't see any posts of anyone currently on ME7 that migrated over (most were already on MJ7). My thoughts were to unroot my ME7 and take the OTA to MK2, then reroot again with the package k1mu posted. Is there a better method like using Odin to MJ7 first, then take the OTA to MK2?

Thanks
-Agentmuzz

k1mu
Old
Thanks Meter 1239

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by agentmuzz View Post
I am on rooted ME7. I defrosted all the apps I had frozen with TB. I read through all 46 pages of the thread for rooting MK2. However, I didn't see any posts of anyone currently on ME7 that migrated over (most were already on MJ7). My thoughts were to unroot my ME7 and take the OTA to MK2, then reroot again with the package k1mu posted. Is there a better method like using Odin to MJ7 first, then take the OTA to MK2?

Thanks
-Agentmuzz
You can't update directly from ME7 to MK2. Using that route will require you to take all of the OTAs: ME7 to MI1, MI1 to MJ7, MJ7 to MK2.

You might be better off flashing the MJ7 no-wipe ROM. It'll re-set everything to stock, then you can take the MK2 upgrade and root it.
My Android devices:
vzw Samsung Galaxy S4 stock MJ7, now rooted!
Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1, also stock but rooted.

VZ Droid Incredible 2 rooted but otherwise stock.
Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1
The Following User Says Thank You to k1mu For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

agentmuzz
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by k1mu View Post
You can't update directly from ME7 to MK2. Using that route will require you to take all of the OTAs: ME7 to MI1, MI1 to MJ7, MJ7 to MK2.

You might be better off flashing the MJ7 no-wipe ROM. It'll re-set everything to stock, then you can take the MK2 upgrade and root it.
Thanks for the help and advice. I will track down a no-wipe ROM of MJ7 and go that route. I take it that I don't need to worry about unrooting and defrosting anything if I flash to MJ7, all that will be returned to stock in the flash?

Thanks again.
-Agentmuzz

k1mu
Old
Thanks Meter 1239

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Thanks for the help and advice. I will track down a no-wipe ROM of MJ7 and go that route. I take it that I don't need to worry about unrooting and defrosting anything if I flash to MJ7, all that will be returned to stock in the flash?

Thanks again.
-Agentmuzz
Yes, that's the advantage from installing the new ROM - it'll clear the system partition and install all new software.
All of your applications and data will remain, which is usually good. However, if you don't trust what you have installed, a full-wipe (emergency recovery) install may be better. However, that'll lose all of your applications and data.
My Android devices:
vzw Samsung Galaxy S4 stock MJ7, now rooted!
Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1, also stock but rooted.

VZ Droid Incredible 2 rooted but otherwise stock.
Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1
The Following User Says Thank You to k1mu For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Surge1223
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2118

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by k1mu View Post

Quote:

Thanks again.
-Agentmuzz

I flashed the no wipe mk2 odin tar from me7, and kept my data.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to Surge1223 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

m-cat
Old
Thanks Meter 20
Quote:

Thanks
-Agentmuzz
I recently went from rooted ME7 to the OTA of MK2 and then rooted via the no wipe Odin to MJ7. Everything is pretty stable.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to m-cat For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

agentmuzz
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
I am on MJ7 now after I did a no-wipe Odin. I tried getting the OTA for MK2 and when I try to go to "Software update" in the setting, I get an message that settings have stopped working and it kicks me back to the About screen. Now I am letting the Verizon Software Upgrade Assistant push MK2 (looks like some automated shell for Odin). Will see how that goes. Will root after on MK2.

I was looking for the MK2 Odin tar file, but was having a hard time finding it.

Thanks everyone for all the help and advice.
-Agentmuzz

agentmuzz
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
MK2 is finished. Rerooted with k1mu's batch script. I figured out why my OTA isn't working. I left all my apps frozen from TB before I did the MJ7 Odin and the subsequent upgrade to MK2. They were still all frozen including the two that block OTA updates.

Thanks again everyone. Merry Christmas.
-Agentmuzz