5,600,664 Members 37,360 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

How much does screen brightness effect battery life?

Tip us?

Mansevolver
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 91
Default How much does screen brightness effect battery life?

I normally keep my Note 3 at 50% brightness. Any idea how much more power it would draw at 100%?

Although AMOLED isn't as power efficient as LCD, the fact that each pixel is self-lit, thus no need for back lighting, I assume brightness and impact of power draw on AMOLED is very trivial?

Sent from my SM-N900P
I'm an Air cooling Editor, and News Editor, as well as moderator at Overclock.net. I plan to bring here, what we over there call a professional initiative. My news duties consist of reviewing deciding what constitutes as valid information, and if it is indeed "news". For air cooling, I simply moderate the air cooling thread. So desktop cooling, and news. I'll be glad to assist in any way I can.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mansevolver For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

micmars
Old
Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 7273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mansevolver View Post
I normally keep my Note 3 at 50% brightness. Any idea how much more power it would draw at 100%?

Although AMOLED isn't as power efficient as LCD, the fact that each pixel is self-lit, thus no need for back lighting, I assume brightness and impact of power draw on AMOLED is very trivial?

Sent from my SM-N900P
Even though there is no backlight, screen brightness is still the number one power draw for most, irrespective of screen technology. Further, the blue subpixels draw a lot more power than the reds and greens draw (might explain Sammy's godawful color palette).

Based on my own experience, I believe that the relationship between screen brightness to battery drain seems pretty linear. As the device and battery age, this may change, or just get worse but remain linear.

Once you factor in the possibility of screen burn-in, which is what you could get if having it sit on the same fixed image with brightness dialed way up over protracted periods, it's recommended that you dial it down whenever possible. Your device, battery and wallet will be pleased.

If another more knowledgeable on this than I cares to weigh in, please do.

I hope this helps.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2
"...dismiss whatever insults your own soul." - Whitman
"I have a lot of beliefs, and I live by none of them." - Louis CK

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to micmars For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Mansevolver
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 91
bump.
I'm an Air cooling Editor, and News Editor, as well as moderator at Overclock.net. I plan to bring here, what we over there call a professional initiative. My news duties consist of reviewing deciding what constitutes as valid information, and if it is indeed "news". For air cooling, I simply moderate the air cooling thread. So desktop cooling, and news. I'll be glad to assist in any way I can.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mansevolver For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

micmars
Old
Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 7273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mansevolver View Post
bump.
I just reread your question, and I believe that increasing screen brightness to max from a setpoint of fifty percent and leaving all other settings as-is would likely cut your battery life in half.

You could answer your own question pretty quickly. Put a 2 hour high definition video on your SD card, put the sound where you want it, and put the phone in airplane mode. Starting from a fully charged state, watch the video, first at 50% screen brightness (deselect auto brightness), then again at 100%. At the end of the first viewing, take a screenshot of your battery draw, and fully charge your phone.

Post the results here. I'll do the same. Perhaps others could do the same, and take this thread in a slightly different direction.

I would caution that leaving the screen at full brightness on a regular basis could lead to screen burn-in.

I hope this helps.

lesliescott06
Old
Thanks Meter 3
No idea what exactly the amount of battery will be eaten up, but more screen brightness always lead to more battery usage. I keep my mobile screen brightness at 25%. Its more than enough to operate the device.
The major aspect of productivity gain in businesses can be achieved only with the usage of task management software.
The Following User Says Thank You to lesliescott06 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

micmars
Old
Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 7273
Quote:
Originally Posted by lesliescott06 View Post
No idea what exactly the amount of battery will be eaten up, but more screen brightness always lead to more battery usage. I keep my mobile screen brightness at 25%. Its more than enough to operate the device.
I think it varies greatly by individual as to the desired screen brightness. Indoors with indirect light, I still like mine set mid way between full and zero. Any lower, and I can't stand it.