XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Bought S4 that was rooted

Tip us?

pcglue
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Bought S4 that was rooted

I bought a t-mobile S4 and discovered it came rooted already. Is this normal? It was from an authorized t-mobile reseller. I don't mind the fact that it's rooted, but what precautions can I take that some malware/spyware isn't installed? Is running a scan with malwarebytes good enough? The reseller said it was rooted to remove some bloatware, but how can I make sure nothing bad was installed? Since the phone is rooted, that also means I can't receive OTA updates, is that right?

Thanks for any info.

baseballfanz
Old
Thanks Meter 1708
It's not normal if you got it from a T-mobile store. An independent but authorized site is different. Maybe someone rooted it but returned it or traded in. If you're really concern just Odin flashed the stock firmware.

☞ Sent from here☜🙈🙉🙊

Skipjacks
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3505
Quote:
Originally Posted by baseballfanz View Post
It's not normal if you got it from a T-mobile store. An independent but authorized site is different. Maybe someone rooted it but returned it or traded in. If you're really concern just Odin flashed the stock firmware.

☞ Sent from here☜🙈🙉🙊
Odin back to stock would deffinately work.

But you don't really have to do that. You could just put on a custom recovery, and flash any rom.

Any spyware that a previous user put on the device you have to reside in th esystem partition. Flashing any other rom would wipe out the system partition and installing a fresh one over top.
Do you want insanely better battery drain when your phone is idle? Check out this thread!
Have a question about the T Mobile Samsung Galaxy S4? Click here for the Help Thread!
The Following User Says Thank You to Skipjacks For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Misterjunky
Old
(Last edited by Misterjunky; 23rd December 2013 at 03:34 AM.)
Thanks Meter 1885

DONATE TO ME
Thumbs up re: Unrooting

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcglue View Post
I bought a t-mobile S4 and discovered it came rooted already. Is this normal? It was from an authorized t-mobile reseller. I don't mind the fact that it's rooted, but what precautions can I take that some malware/spyware isn't installed? Is running a scan with malwarebytes good enough? The reseller said it was rooted to remove some bloatware, but how can I make sure nothing bad was installed? Since the phone is rooted, that also means I can't receive OTA updates, is that right?

Thanks for any info.
Yes a rooted phone will not be able to update using OTA or KIES.

There is another easier way to Unroot the phone, just click on superSU
then click on the settings tab and scroll down til you see "Full Unroot"
"cleanup for permanent unroot" (you still will be able to re-root the phone).

That way there is no reason to flash any roms unless you don't like
what you already have, also even without root you still can use
a custom recovery if that's what you want to do.

After unrooting you will no longer be able to use any apps or
anything else which requires root access.

Good luck!
Have a great day, enjoy!

Don't forget it takes less time to click the "THANKS" button than to type "thank you".
(unless you type very fast).

pcglue
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipjacks View Post
Odin back to stock would deffinately work.

But you don't really have to do that. You could just put on a custom recovery, and flash any rom.
Would I be able to use tmobile's wifi calling if I use a rom other than stock?

Thanks everybody for the help and useful info!

Skipjacks
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3505
Quote:
Would I be able to use tmobile's wifi calling if I use a rom other than stock?

Thanks everybody for the help and useful info!
As long as it's a TouchWiz rom based on the T Mobile Stock ROM.
Do you want insanely better battery drain when your phone is idle? Check out this thread!
Have a question about the T Mobile Samsung Galaxy S4? Click here for the Help Thread!

pcglue
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipjacks View Post
As long as it's a TouchWiz rom based on the T Mobile Stock ROM.
Well, I just found out some other disturbing info. The IMEI on my S4 is 0. It's obviously different from the sticker on the back. And on 2 other S4's I bought at the same time, the IMEI's look valid, but are different from the stickers on the back as well.

I bought these from an independent tmobile store. Why would the phones I bought be rooted and have non-matching IMEI's? Do I have stolen/black market/refurbished phones? I thought I got a discount because of the quantity I bought (5 total, it was for 2 families), but now I think there's something shady about these phones. I don't have ready access to the last 2 phones I bought in this batch, but I suspect they are rooted with non-matching IMEI's as well.

What are the implications of this? I would think these phones are not under Samsung or Tmobile warranty, even though the guy at the store says they are. And in the future, would Tmobile help me (unlocking or I don't know what else) if I am using these phones? They should still help with account/plan changes, but I imagine there are probably some things they won't help with. I'm thinking of returning these phones to avoid future hassles now. Or am I being too paranoid?

Skipjacks
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3505
Quote:

I bought these from an independent tmobile store.
This is where your worries should stop.

You bought these from a store. You have a receipt. Take them back to the store and tell them to fix it.

If they won't, take the matter up with T Mobile and tell them that one of their authorized retailers (if it says T Mobile it's an authorized retailer, even if i'ts an independantly owned shop) is selling stolen phones. I promise you that T Mobile will take this very seriously, though you may have to get past the front line customer service rep to find someone who cares.

If it's not a T MObile authorized retailer and it's just a random genric cell phone shop, then T Mobile isn't going to care. But the cops will.

I'd also file a complaint with your local consumer protection agency.

It's one thing is a back ally deal from a guy in a trench coat who started the transaction with "Pssst....hey, buddy...wanna buy a cheap cell phone?" goes south. It's another thing entirely when it's a legitimate store that's ripping you off and cahrging to sale taxes and stuff on tope of your purchase.

And if they didn't know what they were doing when they sold you stolen / broken / semi-refurbished goods, well quite frankly that's their problem. It's not your problem. They told you they were selling you new phones. If they sold you not new phones, they have defrauded you. It doesn't matter if they knew or not.

The IMEI's on the stickers on the phones should match the receipt. That will be proof that you're not pulling a switcheroo on the store.

If they don't match the receipt and you left the store with them anyway, there is a certain amount of Caveat Emptor that applies. (Latin for "Let the Buyer Beware"). You might be out of luck.