[Q] HTC one on Straight talk?

Search This thread

selayan

Jun 15, 2011
www.android-edge.com
Hi,

Currently I have a droid DNA on Verizon with unlimited data, text and calls. I was grandfathered in. I really want to lower my bill monthly and want a new phone as well. I was thinking of getting either a Verizon Galaxy S4 or HTC One and trying out straight talk for a month. IF all works well, I may port my main number over. Otherwise, I would just keep the One/S4 on Verizon.

Has anyone used the HTC One from Verizon on an MVNO? I hear that all the 4G LTE phones are Unlocked out the box. Just wanted to make sure before I buy.

wolderiii

Dec 23, 2013
unless something has changed in the last couple of months you can only use old 3g only verizon devices on straight talk. you cannot use 4g devices. plus you have to pay them something like 50 bucks to unlock it and move it to straight talk, which usually doesn't justify the cost of buying an old VZW 3g phone. maybe, if you have one laying around then you can justify the cost.

straight talk is kind of a pain too, if you miss your payment date by 7 days then they close your account. possibly losing your number. it's not like virgin mobile where you can shut the phone off for 90-120 days before they close the account and you lose your number. not to mention straight talks unlimited data is no where close to unlimited. they will close your account after 1.5gb i believe.

if you have decent sprint service in your area i would suggest looking at virgin mobile or boost. either of those have way better phones than straight talk and you can get 4g with them if available in your area.

selayan

Jun 15, 2011
www.android-edge.com
unless something has changed in the last couple of months you can only use old 3g only verizon devices on straight talk. you cannot use 4g devices. plus you have to pay them something like 50 bucks to unlock it and move it to straight talk, which usually doesn't justify the cost of buying an old VZW 3g phone. maybe, if you have one laying around then you can justify the cost.

straight talk is kind of a pain too, if you miss your payment date by 7 days then they close your account. possibly losing your number. it's not like virgin mobile where you can shut the phone off for 90-120 days before they close the account and you lose your number. not to mention straight talks unlimited data is no where close to unlimited. they will close your account after 1.5gb i believe.

if you have decent sprint service in your area i would suggest looking at virgin mobile or boost. either of those have way better phones than straight talk and you can get 4g with them if available in your area.

The ST website says you can get an AT&T compatible 4GLTE Sim for GSM phones and plug it in, activate, then activate your airtime card. I've seen people do this with the Droid DNA so I was wondering if the One would do this also.

You don't have to pay anyone to unlock anything. All verizon 4GLTE phones are unlocked out the box. The Htc one and s4 have GSM radios in them, which means ATT or Tmobile should pick up.

wolderiii

Dec 23, 2013
i don't believe the program for ATT phones on straight talk is the same as verizon phones on straight talk.

from what i understand from researching this a few months ago was that only verizon 3g phones could be ported to ST. if it was a 4g phone then ST would not allow you to use on their network (more likely verizon won't let ST on their 4g network and are just leasing them the less used 3g network). The only way to use a verizon 3g phone was to pay for ST to unlock it.

i highly doubt you can take a 4g verizon phone and use it on ST, if you can't find the information you need on the web then call/email ST and ask them. the few times i had to email them they got back to me within a few hours.

---------- Post added at 01:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:55 PM ----------

i see you are wanting to use a ST ATT sim in the verizon one, to use on the ST network which would use ATT towers.
i'm not sure if this is possible. i would ask ST and see what they say. it could be that they say NO just because the person you get doesn't understand what you are trying to do. Perhaps the other way would be to simply try it and see what happens... but if you are currently using the phone on Verizon, then this would probably end your contract and unlimited data.

however, i still stand by my conviction that you cannot use verizon 4g devices on ST where ST uses Verizon towers.

selayan

Jun 15, 2011
www.android-edge.com

i don't believe the program for ATT phones on straight talk is the same as verizon phones on straight talk.

from what i understand from researching this a few months ago was that only verizon 3g phones could be ported to ST. if it was a 4g phone then ST would not allow you to use on their network (more likely verizon won't let ST on their 4g network and are just leasing them the less used 3g network). The only way to use a verizon 3g phone was to pay for ST to unlock it.

i highly doubt you can take a 4g verizon phone and use it on ST, if you can't find the information you need on the web then call/email ST and ask them. the few times i had to email them they got back to me within a few hours.

---------- Post added at 01:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:55 PM ----------

i see you are wanting to use a ST ATT sim in the verizon one, to use on the ST network which would use ATT towers.
i'm not sure if this is possible. i would ask ST and see what they say. it could be that they say NO just because the person you get doesn't understand what you are trying to do. Perhaps the other way would be to simply try it and see what happens... but if you are currently using the phone on Verizon, then this would probably end your contract and unlimited data.

however, i still stand by my conviction that you cannot use verizon 4g devices on ST where ST uses Verizon towers.

Yeah I don't care about ST service where ST is using Verizon towers. I was wondering if the ST ATT Sim that you can buy would work in an HTC One from Verizon. I have the DNA on Verizon now and my One will be arriving soon. I figured I will keep the DNA on Verizon so I don't loose Unlimited Data. But before I blow $51+ tax on a ST Sim card and data plan card, I wanted to know if anyone had it working on their phone?

ATT has good coverage where I live.

selayan

Jun 15, 2011
www.android-edge.com
Just as an update. The phone works with straight talk just only get edge data and I can't send mms probably because just the data is slow.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

kjdowns

Feb 11, 2014
Just as an update. The phone works with straight talk just only get edge data and I can't send mms probably because just the data is slow.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

I know this is an old post, but can you tell me how you got yours to activate. I have a Droid DNA and it keeps telling me that it is not compatible. I have not switched the SIM cards yet. Will it work once I buy an AT&T SIM Card? I do not know much about how the SIM cards work. Right now the old verizon SIM is still in there and it says the IMEI number is not compatible. Will that change once I switch the SIM cards?

selayan

Jun 15, 2011
www.android-edge.com
Just pop in the straight talk SIM it will recognize it after you buy a plan and put in the apn settings from their site.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk