5,604,292 Members 48,712 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] GT-i9000, how to get old kernel & CWM back?

Tip us?

Santorrr
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] GT-i9000, how to get old kernel & CWM back?

Hello, and first of all, sorry for being such a noob. I did try searching the forums but found nothing to match my situation.

I rooted my i9000 a while ago and installed a custom kernel with Odin. I'm not sure what that kernel was called, but it came with CWM recovery. Anyways, I then installed the newest CyanogenMod and after that the newest version as it came out. Everything was fine until I decided I wanted KitKat. I went onwards and flashed a new custom ROM, the Mackay ROM. It seems that Mackay came with it's own TWRP-based recovery and the Mackay Kernel. I tried flashing CyanogenMod 11 Nightlies with it but it just returned me to Mackay (factory reset, ofc). I've searched and searched but haven't found a noob-friendly guide on how I could get things the way they were.

So, my question here is that how could I get that old kernel and CWM back onto my phone? I haven't enjoyed using Mackay and want my CM back. My GT-i9505 is currently in repair due to a swollen battery and my trusty GT-i9000 is my daily driver right now, so I'd really appreciate the help. Thanks in advance and sorry if a thread like this already exists.

spitfire2425
Old
Thanks Meter 255
Recovery and kernel aren't always put together. Just find the recovery thread and read it's instructions. They can be flashed separately.

Sent from my HTC One using xda app-developers app

Santorrr
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by spitfire2425 View Post
Recovery and kernel aren't always put together. Just find the recovery thread and read it's instructions. They can be flashed separately.
Thank you, but just to clarify, do you mean the TWRP or the CWM recovery thread?

tetakpatak
Old
Thanks Meter 1113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santorrr View Post
.....So, my question here is that how could I get that old kernel and CWM back onto my phone?....
If Mackay ROM doesn't use different formatting than FAT32 or rfs (be sure of that) you can unbrick your i9000 upon my guide:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2444308

It goes step by step from flashing a stock rom with re-partition (PIT file), root, installing cwm recovery and then you can go further with CM installation.

If you've done nandroid backup of your CM you will can restore it as soon as you flash the same rom, kernel and cwm version like when you've created it.