5,597,261 Members 40,539 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 Battery Life Extremely Low. How to Find Cause?

Tip us?

krashik
Old
(Last edited by krashik; 23rd December 2013 at 10:24 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Battery Low [Q] Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 Battery Life Extremely Low. How to Find Cause?

I mistakenly posted this in the wrong forum at first, so here it goes again:

I bought this Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 (GT-5110) about a year ago, it runs the original firmware with the recent Samsung update to 4.2.2.

Lately the battery life has become very short. This was not a gradual change, but something that seemingly happened over night. I charge the device with a travel adapter that claims to output up to 1 A. The battery monitor shows that charging works as expected and the device charges to 100 % .

In use the battery shows 100 % for a while, but after about 20 to 30 mins jumps to 4 % , giving me the low batter warning. I am travelling and the only change I can think of is, that mains power here in Canada is 110 V instead of the 220 V back home in Europe, not that I expect that to be a problem.

I don't notice the device getting warmer than usual, so I don't believe, that the battery really charges to 100 %. Is there anything on the software side I can do to investigate this further?

Thanks for any advice!

EDIT: I just noticed, it's actually not the battery, that is dying. It is a error in the measurement. The battery life is normal, however the charge measurement shows nonsensical behavior: It goes to below 10 % in less than half an hour and then goes back to full, repeating this in cycles, like a sawtooth wave. So I suspect either a hardware fault in the measurement circuit or a software problem.

Here's a screenshot of what the battery info looks like, mind you the device has not been on the charger the entire time:

imgur.com/i2HUQjN

aditya rathee
Old
Thanks Meter 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by krashik View Post
I mistakenly posted this in the wrong forum at first, so here it goes again:

I bought this Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 (GT-5110) about a year ago, it runs the original firmware with the recent Samsung update to 4.2.2.

Lately the battery life has become very short. This was not a gradual change, but something that seemingly happened over night. I charge the device with a travel adapter that claims to output up to 1 A. The battery monitor shows that charging works as expected and the device charges to 100 % .

In use the battery shows 100 % for a while, but after about 20 to 30 mins jumps to 4 % , giving me the low batter warning. I am travelling and the only change I can think of is, that mains power here in Canada is 110 V instead of the 220 V back home in Europe, not that I expect that to be a problem.

I don't notice the device getting warmer than usual, so I don't believe, that the battery really charges to 100 %. Is there anything on the software side I can do to investigate this further?

Thanks for any advice!
i think the problem is with the charger
drain the battery of your tab completely and then charge it fully upto 100 % with stock original charger and see if you notice any difference

HIT THANKS IF I HELPED YOU

krashik
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya rathee View Post
i think the problem is with the charger
drain the battery of your tab completely and then charge it fully upto 100 % with stock original charger and see if you notice any difference
What makes you say that? I've been using that charger instead of the Samsung charger at home for a long while now.

itsmepawan
Old
Thanks Meter 23
For me it may be the hardware issue, because software doesn't consume battery in the background so rapidly.

#If you are not sure try this options

For Hardware issues:
*Make sure your charger is working properly (Completely drain your battery and then connect your charger and charge for few half n hour and then reboot your phone and check your battery status and use your tab normally for few minutes and keep an eye on the battery consumptions)
If your battery is gradually decreasing no fault to your charger.
If your charger doesn't charge then its the time to either change or repair your charger.

For Software issues:

"GO TO BATTERY SECTION IN SETTINGS AND CHECK WHICH APPLICATION REDUCES YOUR BATTERY OVERNIGHT RUNNING ITS SERVICES IN THE BACKGROUNG AND JUST DELETE IT"

*After using your tab normally go to SETTINGS>APLLICATION MANAGER> and then RUNNING SERVICES.
If you find unnecessary services running in background NY an app which is not required just uninstall those app.
*Try to check your Sync, WiFi, GPS etc. settings to ensure that any app is consuming continuous services and draining your battery.
*Remove recently installed app which are not necessary.

Hope they help.
The Following User Says Thank You to itsmepawan For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

krashik
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Thanks so far, I just updated my original post to describe the problem more precisely.