XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] best ROM for audiophiles?

Tip us?

alee2117
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] best ROM for audiophiles?

I don't really care what the ROM looks like although it's definitely a plus if it looks good. I'm mainly looking for a ROM that's designed specifically for music usage & playback. I'm going to download Voodoo Sound on top whatever ROM I flash unless it's included. But before I downloaded Cyanogen or something I was checking with you guys if you had seen any audiophile specific ROMS around lately? This one looked promising but it's not a Verizon model. Is there any ports around? Or would this even be worth it with the Voodo Sound on top with Neutron player?

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2174644

Thank you guys for all of your help. I appreciate it. & this may be in the wrong place but I'm not sure so if it is then my apologies.

beepea206
Old
(Last edited by beepea206; 23rd December 2013 at 06:16 PM.)
Thanks Meter 162
From a code/programming perspective, there's no difference in roms, other than the audio add-ons they offer... but those add-ons are nothing more than compression and equalizer tools. Beatz Audio, DSP Manager, Voodoo... all are just compression tools to 'beef up' sound and they give you equalizing customization, but you can do that kind of equalization with apps like Doubletwist. The digital compression those add-ons and apps use is teh evil if you're an audiophile, because it overcompensates and 'chops the head' off sound.

You're not going to get an audiophile experience on a phone, because of the hardware used; there's always going to be some signal to noise ratio loss from the headphone plug and device board. Bluetooth can reduce the S/N reduction, but most aftermarket roms aren't working well with BT for prolonged use (I've had good luck with the 4.3 roms, but not 4.4). If you want the best performance, get an AOSP-based rom, then add in all the apps you want to eqing.

I'm a music producer, so I try to avoid all that compression crap whenever possible... eqing is about all I'll do to a properly-mastered release. Case-in-point, I play older jazz FLACs all the time on Doubletwist; I use the EQ feature and it sounds about as good as you can get on an S3.
The Following User Says Thank You to beepea206 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

alee2117
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by beepea206 View Post
From a code/programming perspective, there's no difference in roms, other than the audio add-ons they offer... but those add-ons are nothing more than compression and equalizer tools. Beatz Audio, DSP Manager, Voodoo... all are just compression tools to 'beef up' sound and they give you equalizing customization, but you can do that kind of equalization with apps like Doubletwist. The digital compression those add-ons and apps use is teh evil if you're an audiophile, because it overcompensates and 'chops the head' off sound.

You're not going to get an audiophile experience on a phone, because of the hardware used; there's always going to be some signal to noise ratio loss from the headphone plug and device board. Bluetooth can reduce the S/N reduction, but most aftermarket roms aren't working well with BT for prolonged use (I've had good luck with the 4.3 roms, but not 4.4). If you want the best performance, get an AOSP-based rom, then add in all the apps you want to eqing.

I'm a music producer, so I try to avoid all that compression crap whenever possible... eqing is about all I'll do to a properly-mastered release. Case-in-point, I play older jazz FLACs all the time on Doubletwist; I use the EQ feature and it sounds about as good as you can get on an S3.
That's very helpful. So what's your favorite player then? I don't necessarily like carrying around a phone & a player for mobile listening but if I have to then so be it. I've been using Poweramp EQ'd pushing my vsonic gr07's for portable use. It was pretty good with the FLACS I have but I feel like it could be better. How much of a difference does the Voodoo mod make? Will it even work with Verizon galaxy s3 since it wasn't shipped with the Wolfson DAC? Either way I'm using a FiiO E17 with it which has Wolfson. I'm just trying to get this all figured out.

beepea206
Old
Thanks Meter 162
Truth be told, I haven't found that one player I really love. If I could mix Winamp with Doubletwist, I'd have my perfect player... DT doesn't have very good playlist support and Winamp is clunky, but I love the feel of DT.

Voodoo is really similar to CM's DSP Manager and is a more customizable version of BeatsAudio; I honestly don't know if Voodoo works with the S3, but DSP manager does. The both offer compression and EQ control, so if you have low-quality MP3s, they'll sound better than stock sound will make them. If you have a music app like Poweramp or Doubletwist, you don't need to use the EQ control in Voodoo, so what's left is just the compression feature. Personally, I stay away from compression apps/mods like the plague, because they end up altering the sound of the file and, IMO, if it's a properly mastered file/recording, you don't need compression (except for maybe some tube compression on a standalone amp for some 'warmer' sound... but that's not applicable here).

I stick to using EQ controls in the players apps. If you try that and just don't find they offer you the sound you want, then try an app like Voodoo. But be forewarned, I've seen (and experienced) some issues on other devices where apps like that can alter the audio framework of the rom permanently, so even after you uninstall it, the sound remains affected.

Naddict
Old
Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 13091
Best is in the eye of the beholder.

Users are expected to do their own research and try Roms to see what suits them best.

As xda is not a support site, this thread is closed.
Every time you don't use search, a kitten, bunny, baby turtle, and fuzzy Harp Seal are killed.

Read the Rules! -- Search Before You Post! -- Learn about XDA -- Need A Moderators Help? -- Get the Most out of XDA! -- Curious about GPL?
THREAD CLOSED
Subscribe