5,596,235 Members 35,123 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Downgrading from JB to ICS

Tip us?

FullXion
Old
(Last edited by FullXion; 19th December 2013 at 08:41 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Lightbulb Downgrading from JB to ICS

-STILL HAS SIGNAL PROBLEMS-

Hi guys. Im not exactly new but i think this is my first post, cos usually i don't have anything interesting to post.
Bit of backstory:
Had a razr i for a few months. Upgraded to JB, hated the removal of sleep mode and the pervasive fuzziness to it all (ics just seems much more crisp to me) and so decided to downgrade. Assumed peoples of xda had it figured out, ended up with complete refusal to connect to any mobile networks about an hour after boot, which meant i had to restart a lot, which meant crappy batt life. Tried to upgrade back to JB, bricked and dead. Is now a useful and attractive paperweight.
Bought another, fully intending to keep it on ics. Experienced some issues with software bugs, figured they would be sorted in JB, which they were. However, missed ICS. Searched youtube for a decent way to downgrade, found a video describing how to downgrade with a different method than i have seen anywhere on xda - editing xml file in the fastboot files, and then using rsd lite. Looked safe, tried, now rocking fully working ics exactly as it was when i bought it, save for now having an unlocked bootloader.
Title of video is Downgrade RAZR I XT890 do JB (4.1.2) para ICS (4.0.4)
(cannot link, technically new member lol)
Some instructions, because the video goes on unnecessarily :
Get the fastboot files (it says and links to brazil in vid, but i used GB Orange, which my phone came with, and it worked fine)
Extract
Edit xml with notepad++ as follows
Delete line with getvar max-download (My rom didnt have this line anyway)
Delete line that mentions flashing gpt
delete line that mentions flashing motoboot
save file
(Guy turns back into zip, but is unneeded)
Open xml with RSD lite
Install in fastboot
HUZZAH ICS

Try at your own risk, can only say that this suggests only gpt and/or motoboot are the files that affect the service required code corrupt message (which i got on my first razr i, with and without using the unbrick files on xda)
I dont understand any of what the guy is saying, but if you need to see it in action, the vid is on youtube, shows it very well and gets points clearly across

This is just about the only place i can post this so yeah
glhf, i take no credit or responsibility, i am but a wandering do-gooder and whatnot
The Following User Says Thank You to FullXion For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

antkalaitzakis96
Old
Thanks Meter 154
have you tried it?

FullXion
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by antkalaitzakis96 View Post
have you tried it?
Yup, thought that was clear from the post worse writer than i thought
Currently posting this from my downgraded ics razr i. Hasnt even had a hiccup, good sign

antkalaitzakis96
Old
Thanks Meter 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by FullXion View Post
Yup, thought that was clear from the post worse writer than i thought
Currently posting this from my downgraded ics razr i. Hasnt even had a hiccup, good sign
keep me informed cause I want to downgrade too but I am afraid of all those bricked devices

antkalaitzakis96
Old
Thanks Meter 154
Is it still working great?

DrLamok
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Default any news ?

any news on this ?

FullXion
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Bad news
While everything worked fine for a few days, the signal problems cropped up again, so i had to flash jellybean again in order to get a fully functioning phone. Absolutely stumped as to why these problems happen, looks like ics is off limits as far as i can see.

antkalaitzakis96
Old
Thanks Meter 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by FullXion View Post
Bad news
While everything worked fine for a few days, the signal problems cropped up again, so i had to flash jellybean again in order to get a fully functioning phone. Absolutely stumped as to why these problems happen, looks like ics is off limits as far as i can see.
well, that means no ics for me :P