5,597,397 Members 30,809 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

There is a hope for AOSP based ROMs for N3 (Details)

Tip us?

Walter.White
Old
(Last edited by Walter.White; 22nd December 2013 at 08:52 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 428
Talking There is a hope for AOSP based ROMs for N3 (Details)

Over @S4, developer @jeboo discovered an exploit that allows us to insert kernel module into stock kernel while bypassing the signature verification. So using this one could *theoretically* use kexec to boot a second kernel over the stock one.

But here is the dilemma N3 has kernel modules disabled (Big fu to ATT) while S4 can have kernel modules..so they can get kexec running without any major problems.

So us N3 people would have to modify stock kernel module (since we can't insert any new ones) and this exploit allows us to do that because we can modify stock kernel modules without triggering signature verification. All in all we have some hope of getting kexec working with our N3

I'm no kernel expert but this looks promising. Also dont update past MI9 because that kernel exploit might be patched. Only way to verify is to send boot.img to @jeboo

Here is the link to that thread http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2578566
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Walter.White For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

jeboo
Old
Recognized Contributor / Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 3746

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter.White View Post
Over @S4, developer @jeboo discovered an exploit that allows us to insert kernel module into stock kernel while bypassing the signature verification. So using this one could *theoretically* use kexec to boot a second kernel over the stock one.

But here is the dilemma N3 has kernel modules disabled (Big fu to ATT) while S4 can have kernel modules..so they can get kexec running without any major problems.

So us N3 people would have to modify stock kernel module (since we can't insert any new ones) and this exploit allows us to do that because we can modify stock kernel modules without triggering signature verification. All in all we have some hope of getting kexec working with our N3

I'm no kernel expert but this looks promising. Also dont update past MI9 because that kernel exploit might be patched. Only way to verify is to send boot.img to @jeboo

Here is the link to that thread http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2578566
Thanks for the mention. I'm not familiar with how they've removed module support, so it's not clear if it can be circumvented.

As for checking if your kernel is vulnerable, you can actually do it yourself. Just go to opensource.samsung.com and download the kernel source code matching your device/version. Then check if they implemented the following patch:
https://github.com/torvalds/linux/co...49a7991209fa04
The Binary Won. Thank you to all the donors!
Check out HomerBall, my free app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ag87.homerball
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jeboo For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Finisher1214
Old
(Last edited by Finisher1214; 23rd December 2013 at 05:10 PM.)
Thanks Meter 6

DONATE TO ME
Sounds like great news! Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Hashcode
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 19643

DONATE TO ME
Its not that the N3 kernel has disabled inserting modules.

There literally are no modules. The entire kernel module subsystem is disabled (CONFIG_MODULE).

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hashcode For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Finisher1214
Old
(Last edited by Finisher1214; 23rd December 2013 at 05:49 PM.)
Thanks Meter 6

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hashcode View Post
Its not that the N3 kernel has disabled inserting modules.

There literally are no modules. The entire kernel module subsystem is disabled (CONFIG_MODULE).

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
@Hashcode With this being said do we have any hope or do we have none at all?

Walter.White
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 428
Thanks @Hashcode for clearing that up. FML Hopefully by next Christmas someone figures something out. Till then Safestrap FTW.