5,606,201 Members 33,690 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Can I update rooted phone with system apps removed via Titanium Backup?

Tip us?

permafrost91
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Can I update rooted phone with system apps removed via Titanium Backup?

On MJ7 but it keeps pestering me about the MK2 "upgrade." I've removed most of the bloatware via TB (not frozen: everything is backed-up and un-installed) so my question is whether I need to reinstall all these apps before running the "upgrade" or whether I can run the "upgrade" with my current state of affairs?

The last post I found with a similar question is from 2011:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1186450

Thanks!

ericmtnbkr
Old
Thanks Meter 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by permafrost91 View Post
On MJ7 but it keeps pestering me about the MK2 "upgrade." I've removed most of the bloatware via TB (not frozen: everything is backed-up and un-installed) so my question is whether I need to reinstall all these apps before running the "upgrade" or whether I can run the "upgrade" with my current state of affairs?

Thanks!
It seems there are some people having problems and some people who do not. I was lucky and took the OTA with no problems, but I did have Survival Mode turned on in Super SU. I have never seen a list of what apps successful people have removed vs what apps unsuccessful people have removed. I've removed a few of the Verizon apps and frozen a few apps as well.

Not a great answer but it's all I got. Good luck.

decaturbob
Old
Thanks Meter 429
Quote:

Thanks!
It's my understanding to take OTA...The stock needs to be pretty much stock. Mk2 not any thing big. Have you thought just freezing the programs that are giving you the notification?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
S4 powered by hashcode 3.71 safestrap HYPERDRIVE 15 by Sbreen94

permafrost91
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by decaturbob View Post
Have you thought just freezing the programs that are giving you the notification?
What do you mean by that? No apps have notified me of anything yet. I was just wondering how stock stock needed to be for the OTA.

As far as my progress is concerned, I have restored all my backups via Titanium Backup, even unrooted via SuperSU but the OTA still fails with error code 402. Interestingly, the bootloader still shows the "custom" logo with the unlocked lock symbol so I think it has something to do with that although at this point I'm not sure what is "custom" about my phone ...

Mightycaptain
Old
Thanks Meter 286
Quote:

Thanks!
You need to flash the no wipe stock tar for mj7. There is a post in android dev for it. That will get rid of the custom screen and allow the ota to Take.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app