5,606,201 Members 32,720 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Bottom half of alarm app screen not pure black?

Tip us?

s2kdriver80
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Question Bottom half of alarm app screen not pure black?

In all other cases where pure black is present, the color really is black thanks to the amoled screen. However, I noticed that in the stock alarm app, if you look at the bottom half below the list of alarms, the black that's there is like a hazy LCD-like black. I noticed this when I was half asleep at night setting my alarm in a dark room. Most noticeable when you look at the screen with the lights shut off in the room. Contrast that to the deep blacks found when pulling down the notification shade. Can anyone else confirm? Thanks.

brildenlanch
Old
Thanks Meter 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by s2kdriver80 View Post
In all other cases where pure black is present, the color really is black thanks to the amoled screen. However, I noticed that in the stock alarm app, if you look at the bottom half below the list of alarms, the black that's there is like a hazy LCD-like black. I noticed this when I was half asleep at night setting my alarm in a dark room. Most noticeable when you look at the screen with the lights shut off in the room. Contrast that to the deep blacks found when pulling down the notification shade. Can anyone else confirm? Thanks.
I was thinking that maybe since it's totally dark in your room, you're seeing glare/reflection from the menu and back button LED's... but then I guess they wouldn't be lit unless you have them set to always on. I just watched Insidious 2 so I am not going to try the dark room test :3 maybe someone else will lol

s2kdriver80
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by brildenlanch View Post
I was thinking that maybe since it's totally dark in your room, you're seeing glare/reflection from the menu and back button LED's... but then I guess they wouldn't be lit unless you have them set to always on. I just watched Insidious 2 so I am not going to try the dark room test :3 maybe someone else will lol
Yea it's pretty obvious once you look at it. If you compare something you know is real black (like the bottom half of the notification shade, assuming you don't have much notifications at the time) to the empty bottom part of the alarm app (LCD-like hazy "black"). I'm pretty sure it's just the alarm app doing something funky by design, but just want to make sure heh. Pretty sure I have an authentic amoled panel anyway as I do see deep blacks in other situations.

brildenlanch
Old
Thanks Meter 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by s2kdriver80 View Post
Yea it's pretty obvious once you look at it. If you compare something you know is real black (like the bottom half of the notification shade, assuming you don't have much notifications at the time) to the empty bottom part of the alarm app (LCD-like hazy "black"). I'm pretty sure it's just the alarm app doing something funky by design, but just want to make sure heh. Pretty sure I have an authentic amoled panel anyway as I do see deep blacks in other situations.
I couldn't resist giving you some peace of mind so I just tried it out in the bathroom. The alarm screen does have a weird black'blue hue thing going on. Especially when you compare it to the notification pull down.
The Following User Says Thank You to brildenlanch For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

s2kdriver80
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by brildenlanch View Post
I couldn't resist giving you some peace of mind so I just tried it out in the bathroom. The alarm screen does have a weird black'blue hue thing going on. Especially when you compare it to the notification pull down.
Lol thanks... yea looks like uneven LCD-ish off-black.