XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] google search hotword differences

Tip us?

xCal1bur
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] google search hotword differences

So I have a HTC One, and my girlfriend has a HTC One X. Our google search hotwords are different. Mine says "Say Okay Google" and hers says "Say Google". On top of that, mine allows for continuous searching (ie. say "okay google", search something, and repeat), whereas hers only can search once (ie. say "google", search something, then you have to press the voice button to search again. Is there supposed to be a difference ? Do certain devices contain different versions of Google Search ? If possible, can the continuous searching be activated somehow ?

alray
Old
Thanks Meter 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by xCal1bur View Post
So I have a HTC One, and my girlfriend has a HTC One X. Our google search hotwords are different. Mine says "Say Okay Google" and hers says "Say Google". On top of that, mine allows for continuous searching (ie. say "okay google", search something, and repeat), whereas hers only can search once (ie. say "google", search something, then you have to press the voice button to search again. Is there supposed to be a difference ? Do certain devices contain different versions of Google Search ? If possible, can the continuous searching be activated somehow ?
That Google Now feature ''Ok Google'' is new in android 4.4 (on your HTC One). The HTC one X is still on android 4.3 and doesn't support this feature yet.
If I helped you, please hit the ''tanks'' button
If you want me to reply, QUOTE me or mention me using @alray, otherwise don't expect any reply

Useful links for HTC One:
nkk71's SuperGUIDE to returning 100% back to stock
Return to stock for Canadian HTC One Users by SaHiLzZ (BELL, TELUS, ROGERS)
Flashing requirements chart by nkk71
HTC1Guru.com by crushalot

xCal1bur
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by alray View Post
That Google Now feature ''Ok Google'' is new in android 4.4 (on your HTC One). The HTC one X is still on android 4.3 and doesn't support this feature yet.
Are you sure ? I'm more talking about in the actual google search app. Not the homescreen stuff. Also, my One is running 4.3 with sense 5.5, and the One X is running 4.2.2 with sense 5. Both running stock roms. no modding at all.

alray
Old
Thanks Meter 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by xCal1bur View Post
Are you sure ? I'm more talking about in the actual google search app. Not the homescreen stuff. Also, my One is running 4.3 with sense 5.5, and the One X is running 4.2.2 with sense 5. Both running stock roms. no modding at all.
Android 4.3 under Google Search tab: ''Google''
http://www.android.com/about/jelly-bean/
  • You can say "Google" to activate Voice Search from within Google Search.

Android 4.4 ''Ok Google''
http://www.android.com/versions/kit-kat-4-4/
  • Just say “Ok Google”
    You don’t need to touch the screen to get things done. When on your home screen* or in Google Now, just say “Ok Google” to launch voice search, send a text, get directions or even play a song.
Don't forget your region/language must be set to US to activate ''OK Google''.
If I helped you, please hit the ''tanks'' button
If you want me to reply, QUOTE me or mention me using @alray, otherwise don't expect any reply

Useful links for HTC One:
nkk71's SuperGUIDE to returning 100% back to stock
Return to stock for Canadian HTC One Users by SaHiLzZ (BELL, TELUS, ROGERS)
Flashing requirements chart by nkk71
HTC1Guru.com by crushalot

xCal1bur
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by alray View Post
Android 4.3 under Google Search tab: ''Google''
http://www.android.com/about/jelly-bean/
  • You can say "Google" to activate Voice Search from within Google Search.

Android 4.4 ''Ok Google''
http://www.android.com/versions/kit-kat-4-4/
  • Just say “Ok Google”
    You don’t need to touch the screen to get things done. When on your home screen* or in Google Now, just say “Ok Google” to launch voice search, send a text, get directions or even play a song.
Don't forget your region/language must be set to US to activate ''OK Google''.
yes, i know that. but i'm running 4.3 on my One and i can say ok google to activate it.

so..
HTC One: Android 4.3 + Sense 5.5, able to say OK Google to activate, able to continue searching after each search
HTC One X: Android 4.2.2 + Sense 5, only able to say google to activate, cant say OK Google, only able to do once, not after a search

also..
Transformer Infinity: CM 10.2 (Android 4.3.1), only able to say google to activate, cant say OK Google, only able to do once, not after a search

so with the range of devices i have access to, i'm only able to use OK Google hotword for one of the devices. And with that device, i'm able to use the hotword again to search again while in the results of another search. the other two devices can only use the hotword from the initial google search screen.

what i really want to know is why i cant do continuous searches like i can from my HTC One.

xcrazydx
Old
Thanks Meter 2192

DONATE TO ME
Because they don't support it...yet

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk