[Q] 4.3 update notification on rooted SPH-L900

Tip us?

axg2011
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysenf View Post
Arun, you are in luck becuase I had the exact same issue as was able to resolve. I also had a rooted sph-l900 on 4.1.2 that would not successfully install 4.3. So, in order to get to 4.3, which is worth it (trim support, gui enhancements, better menus, and just so you can say to accomplished it), follow these steps.

- flash the original stock rom. The file is called KIES_HOME_L900VPALJ1_L900SPTALJ1_265523_REV04_user _low_ship.tar.md5
I used the note 2 toolkit by skipsoft /w odin to do this. I attempted to download this file from hotfile, but that site got shut down. Find a reliable copy of this file, then use odin to flash this when doing a "flash stock rom" operation.

- at one point, my phone kept rebooting to the samsung logo, and did not get into the operating system, so I thought I was bricked, but your still ok. I had to remove the battery, then re-insert, then force it into download mode with power+down volumme+home button. Then, it magically continued the process at the "upgrading android 1 of x" screen. Then, it will boot up to "factory".

- Now, it it truly factory and ready to accept all sprint provided updates, and yes, all the way to 4.3.

Let me know how it goes.
Actually I have given up trying to get an update because of all the gyrations involved. I have too many apps for any backup program to backup/restore reliably.

I found a thread where someone had posted a method to get rid of the constant upgrade notification. Now I do not get update notifications. I will stay on 4.1.2 till I upgrade the phone or a better rooting method is found.

I did consider flashing the phone with CM10 but even their stable builds have problems as indicated by users on their forums. Now that CM has got new funding, hopefully, they will release more stable builds.

cknicker
Old
Thanks Meter 0

DONATE TO ME
Default stop 4.3 OTA notifications for Sprint Note 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by axg2011 View Post
I found a thread where someone had posted a method to get rid of the constant upgrade notification. Now I do not get update notifications. I will stay on 4.1.2 till I upgrade the phone or a better rooting method is found
can you post a link to the thread showing how to stop the 4.3 notifications? I'm having trouble finding it.

axg2011
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by cknicker View Post
can you post a link to the thread showing how to stop the 4.3 notifications? I'm having trouble finding it.
Aaah...Can't find the exact post. It was here on XDA forums. Here is what I had essentially done:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1581614

It was renaming the otacerts.zip file. But the post I had actually followed was more detailed. It explained in detail how to use the ES File Explorer to modify the directory permissions etc.

m5james
Old
Thanks Meter 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by axg2011 View Post
I have Sprint Galaxy Note 2 SPH-L900. I had rooted the phone using Chainfire CF-Auto-Root. I did not flash any custom ROM, did not install any custom recovery. So I just have root access and stock ROM 4.1.2.

Last couple of days, I have been getting notification very frequently that "System update available". This is the 4.3 update. I have been putting off the update by selecting "Install Later".

I have done hours of research and found varying answers. Some are saying that it is possible to use Samsung Kies to get this update on a rooted phone, however, I will lose root. Some are saying that if this update is applied in any manner to a rooted phone, it will get stuck in a boot loop. Some are saying that a rooted phone will never get notification of this update. Some are saying that the phone must be un-rooted, update applied and then re-rooted. I don't even know which of these observations is correct.

I can live without 4.3 but how to make the constant harassment notification go away?
Is it possible to get 4.3 update and not lose root?
Is it possible to get 4.3 and re-root?

Arun Gupta
I'm having the same issue...constant reminders, but when I allow it to run, the phone remains 4.1.2. The ONLY reason I ran the same root you did is so that I could run Trev Mod WiFi tethering and nothing more. I've had no desire to overclock or anything like I did on previous phone, but I wish I could do certain things like removing stock apps...so I'm not going down the path of running a custom ROM.

---------- Post added at 10:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:40 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjm96 View Post
Rerouted and found out that 4.3 loses the WiFi tethering. So make your choices wisely.
I'm waiting for a fix or maybe one of these gracious people on the forum will point me in the right direction.
Are you referring to the stock Hotspot app? I used Trev Mod WiFi and it worked great.

Tungsten c
Old
Thanks Meter 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by m5james View Post
I'm having the same issue...constant reminders, but when I allow it to run, the phone remains 4.1.2. The ONLY reason I ran the same root you did is so that I could run Trev Mod WiFi tethering and nothing more. I've had no desire to overclock or anything like I did on previous phone, but I wish I could do certain things like removing stock apps...so I'm not going down the path of running a custom ROM.

---------- Post added at 10:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:40 PM ----------

Are you referring to the stock Hotspot app? I used Trev Mod WiFi and it worked great.
Which trev mod WiFi are you using on your note 2 (4. 3) stock rooted

Can you provide a link thanks

Sent from my SPH-L900 using xda app-developers app

m5james
Old
Thanks Meter 11
You quoted me saying I'm only running 4.1.2, so I have no idea of it'll run on 4.3. Go do it now and report back.