5,604,631 Members 40,062 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Can I still root with Wugfresh with new kitkat version?

Tip us?

BeeBiteBoy
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default [Q] Can I still root with Wugfresh with new kitkat version?

I used to root all of my phones but I stopped because I started using crappy phones. Haven't even seen a rooted phone in a couple of years, I fear I may be rusty. Can I still use this method the same way? Also, any ROM recommendations? How is Cyanogen on Nexus? Thanks for the help guys!
The Following User Says Thank You to BeeBiteBoy For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

droidshadow
Old
Thanks Meter 150
You can use WuGFresh's Nexus 7 root toolkit to root your Nexus 7 running 4.4 Kit Kat.

The app is amazing and very easy to use. First use the app to install the USB drivers so you can connect your tablet to your PC and allow them to communicate.

Second use the app to unlock the bootloader...this is a must!

Third use the root toolkit to root your N7 tablet and make sure you check the box that says install TWRP recovery manager before you start the root process. You don't have to install the recovery manager technically... But you definitely want an advanced recovery manager.

If you do a YouTube search you can see how to do this step by step...if you learn better visually.

As for ROMs...load up the google play store and download multi rom manager, this app will allow you to put extra ROMs on your tablet without damaging your stock N7 rom.

CyanogenMod is my favorite custom rom...

CyanogenMod has CM 11 available for the N7 in the "nightlies" section. Dpmt forget to flash Google apps the GApps zip after you install CM.

For how to install ROMs with multi rom do another YouTube search to get the exact steps. Doctor Android has some really great tutorial videos...

Hope it helps...

-droidshadow

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to droidshadow For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

BeeBiteBoy
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by droidshadow View Post
You can use WuGFresh's Nexus 7 root toolkit to root your Nexus 7 running 4.4 Kit Kat.

The app is amazing and very easy to use. First use the app to install the USB drivers so you can connect your tablet to your PC and allow them to communicate.

Second use the app to unlock the bootloader...this is a must!

Third use the root toolkit to root your N7 tablet and make sure you check the box that says install TWRP recovery manager before you start the root process. You don't have to install the recovery manager technically... But you definitely want an advanced recovery manager.

If you do a YouTube search you can see how to do this step by step...if you learn better visually.

As for ROMs...load up the google play store and download multi rom manager, this app will allow you to put extra ROMs on your tablet without damaging your stock N7 rom.

CyanogenMod is my favorite custom rom...

CyanogenMod has CM 11 available for the N7 in the "nightlies" section. Dpmt forget to flash Google apps the GApps zip after you install CM.

For how to install ROMs with multi rom do another YouTube search to get the exact steps. Doctor Android has some really great tutorial videos...

Hope it helps...

-droidshadow

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Can you help me. I used the method and set up the drivers, tested it and it said everything was good, got it unlocked and then went to root and now it says it can't find adb device. I also suspect that the drivers may be erased off of my tablet but i really don't know.

BeeBiteBoy
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Hey man I'm sorry I just now saw your reply. Did you get it working?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

LoVeRice
Old
Thanks Meter 96
That the problem with adb/usb drivers its really pain in the a$$ just keep trying and mixing up the usb storage options/usb debugging revoke on your phone lol sometimes i managed to make it work by booting the phone to fastboot and then connect it usb. Its really random