[Q] Bricked - please help!

Tip us?

berichardson13
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Exclamation [Q] Bricked - please help!

Hey guys,

I managed to f*** up my phone and don't know exactly what went wrong. I'm worried it's a hard brick, but don't know for sure. It won't turn on though, which is freaking me out. I hope one of y'all can help.

So I was running CM10.1 for a long time and everything was great. I eventually installed an update through the built-in CM updater app, decided I didn't like it, and attempted to re-install through the .zip I still had on my sdcard. I'm still not sure why, but doing so put me in a boot-loop. I was pretty busy at the time so just flashed back to stock. Wasn't ideal, but worked fine.

So now I have some free time and decided I'd try to re-install CM. Prior to the install attempt, I was running 4.1.2 stock, rooted and with an unlocked bootloader. Here's what I did:

1: Flashed the VRALEC bootloader, as recommended by the CM wiki, through Odin.
-At this point, everything still worked OK. I think this next step is where I went wrong.

2: Flashed the VRALF2 kernel through Odin.
-This is what I think I did wrong. After I flashed it, instead of booting up the phone got past the Galaxy S3 graphic then the LED just slowly changed from blue to light blue and back. Either way, I still was able to do the following steps.

3: Flashed CWM 6.0.1.2 through Odin.

4: Installed CM10.2 and gapps from recovery.

5: Rebooted, stuck in a boot-loop showing the CM logo.

So hindsight being 20/20, this is where I should have stopped and asked for help. Instead, I decided that I'd try to fix it myself and tried to flash back to stock. When I tried to do so, Odin said it failed. I then reflashed the VRALEC bootloader, again through Odin. This was successful, but after it rebooted, it showed the Galaxy S3 graphic for a bit and then went blank. Since then, I can't get the phone to turn on or enter download or recovery modes.

Can anyone help? I'm really worried I hard-bricked my phone. What do I need to do / where can I go from here?

berichardson13
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Update - Maybe not hard-bricked!

Quote:
Originally Posted by berichardson13 View Post
Since then, I can't get the phone to turn on or enter download or recovery modes.
So I've managed to get the phone into recovery mode, which is the factory recovery (not CWM). And I can also get into download mode. But when I start up the phone, it stops at the "Samsung Galaxy S III" graphic and just stays there. From that screen, I can only get it to turn off by taking out the battery.

Hopefully this means I'm not hard-bricked. Does anyone know what I can do from here to get it functional again?

BattsNotIncld
Old
(Last edited by BattsNotIncld; 23rd December 2013 at 12:59 AM.)
Thanks Meter 97
Quote:
So I've managed to get the phone into recovery mode, which is the factory recovery (not CWM). And I can also get into download mode. But when I start up the phone, it stops at the "Samsung Galaxy S III" graphic and just stays there. From that screen, I can only get it to turn off by taking out the battery.

Hopefully this means I'm not hard-bricked. Does anyone know what I can do from here to get it functional again?
If you can get into recovery/download, you are definitely not hardbricked. Try to do a factory reset in recovery. If that doesn't work try to ODIN a full stock image.

*your internal storage will be wiped with a factory reset (obviously).

I'm pretty sure they recommend flashing the newer CM's from the MF1 base. I might be making that up though.
Current Phone: Samsung Galaxy S III
Current ROM: SlimKat

Previous Phone: Samsung Droid Charge (sold)
The Following User Says Thank You to BattsNotIncld For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

WillisD
Old
Thanks Meter 26

DONATE TO ME
Sounds like you forgot to flash something, check the thread you used again

Sent from my SCH-I535 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

---------- Post added at 08:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:28 PM ----------

If you have a blue led light after the Samsung galaxy s3 screen when it goes black then you don't have the proper drivers for your screen which would be in the file you didn't flash

Sent from my SCH-I535 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
GZR Team Member
Moto X
Validus 5.0 RC2
The Following User Says Thank You to WillisD For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

berichardson13
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by BattsNotIncld View Post
If you can get into recovery/download, you are definitely not hardbricked. Try to do a factory reset in recovery. If that doesn't work try to ODIN a full stock image.
Tried the factory reset, ended up in the same spot. So, next I'll try flashing back to stock.

I've done this before, but after the scare earlier I'm being overly paranoid - am I going to need to flash a different kernel? Or is it gonna be enough to just flash something like the VRBMF1 image?

Old
Thanks Meter 78
Flash back to stock 4.1.2, use Casual to root and unlock, and get a recovery.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=42791826

Sent from my Last Ever Samsung Device.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 0331 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

berichardson13
Old
(Last edited by berichardson13; 23rd December 2013 at 08:30 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0331 View Post
use Casual to root and unlock, and get a recovery.
So this is another dumb question. But having just downloaded the newest version of Java to my Windows 7 computer, I still can't get Casual to open. Instead, this command prompt dialogue box pops up for a little bit then disappears. Nothing else happens after that. I'm opening it with JRE 1.7 - should I be doing something differently?

Edit - I just opened it in terminal, got it going fine, but can't get Casual to recognize my phone. I'm about to update the drivers, see if that does the trick.

SlimSnoopOS
Old
Thanks Meter 1706
Quote:
So this is another dumb question. But having just downloaded the newest version of Java to my Windows 7 computer, I still can't get Casual to open. Instead, this command prompt dialogue box pops up for a little bit then disappears. Nothing else happens after that. I'm opening it with JRE 1.7 - should I be doing something differently?

Edit - I just opened it in terminal, got it going fine, but can't get Casual to recognize my phone. I'm about to update the drivers, see if that does the trick
If it still doesn't work, try the slightly older version of Casual: http://rootzwiki.com/topic/44201-%E2...otas%E2%98%85/

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4
[VZW] Samsung Galaxy SIII
[last device]
Droid Incroyable