5,597,198 Members 40,953 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Bricked after installing Safestrap, please help!

Tip us?

Nihilife
Old
(Last edited by Nihilife; 24th December 2013 at 06:51 AM.) Reason: spelling
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Bricked after installing Safestrap, please help!

Alright, so I literally just received a replacement phone after having my Galaxy s4 broken for about 3 months. So naturally the first thing I do it is try to root it so I can get CM on it, but the factory the updated my phone to the VRUEMJ7 build, which apparently you can't actually hard root... so whatever, I do the saferoot, and use Hashcode's Safestrap recovery. But, for some reason I always feel the need to test **** that I don't understand, so in his recovery I switched the active ROM to the stock rom, then tried to reset to factory default, deleting all the data and whatnot, thinking I would be able to get more space for my CM partition. Welp, now my phone is stuck at the Samsung/Custom lock spash screen, and I don't think I can boot into Odin (it's still volume rocker up + power button, right?)

So, is my phone now hard bricked, or it there anything I can do about it? I'm downloading the image from this thread as I type this, but I'm not sure I can use it considering when I try to boot into Odin the blue text flashes in the upper right corner like normal, but then the screen goes black while I continue holding the buttons, and doesn't do anything until I release them, which causes it to just go back to the bricked splash screen.

Halp!!!

ickray
Old
(Last edited by ickray; 24th December 2013 at 07:02 AM.)
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihilife View Post
Alright, so I literally just received a replacement phone after having my Galaxy s4 broken for about 3 months. So naturally the first thing I do it is try to root it so I can get CM on it, but the factory the updated my phone to the VRUEMJ7 build, which apparently you can't actually hard root... so whatever, I do the saferoot, and use Hashcode's Safestrap recovery. But, for some reason I always feel the need to test **** that I don't understand, so in his recovery I switched the active ROM to the stock rom, then tried to reset to factory default, deleting all the data and whatnot, thinking I would be able to get more space for my CM partition. Welp, now my phone is stuck at the Samsung/Custom lock spash screen, and I don't think I can boot into Odin (it's still volume rocker up + power button, right?)

So, is my phone now hard bricked, or it there anything I can do about it? I'm downloading the image from this thread as I type this, but I'm not sure I can use it considering when I try to boot into Odin the blue text flashes in the upper right corner like normal, but then the screen goes black while I continue holding the buttons, and doesn't do anything until I release them, which causes it to just go back to the bricked splash screen.

Halp!!!
You reset your stock rom My advice is to read up on what you can and can't flash, and if you have even the slightest doubt, ask someone on the forums for, help. That saved me loads of time and stress.

ODIN/Download Mode
Make sure your device is completely off
Key(s): Volume Down
While holding this key down simultaneously press the Power button until you see a disclaimer on the screen
Then let go of both buttons and press Volume Up to accept the disclaimer
Once the green robot is visible on the screen this indicates that handset is in now ODIN/Download mode

Recovery Mode

Make sure your device is completely off
Key(s): Volume Up
While holding this key down simultaneously press the Power button
As soon as the phone vibrates, let go of the Power button but keep holding Volume Up
When you see the "Samsung Galaxy S4" logo (not just the word "Samsung"), right after that, the next screen you should see is your recovery
Don't let go of Volume Up until you see your recovery

Nihilife
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by ickray View Post
You reset your stock rom My advice is to read up on what you can and can't flash, and if you have even the slightest doubt, ask someone on the forums for, help. That saved me loads of time and stress.
I know, I'm an idiot. :/

When I try to boot into Odin the android doesn't pop up though, the screen goes black while I have the buttons held, and just goes back to the boot screen after I let them go.

ickray
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:

Halp!!!
Quote:
I know, I'm an idiot. :/

When I try to boot into Odin the android doesn't pop up though, the screen goes black while I have the buttons held, and just goes back to the boot screen after I let them go.
If worse comes to worst, try this: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2507253

Nihilife
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by ickray View Post
Sorry, not to sound ungrateful for the help, but I feel like you're not reading what I'm saying :/. I would love to be able to do that, but as of right now I'm unable to get into Odin. Unless you can get into Odin using ADB or something of the sort that won't help me.

ickray
Old
(Last edited by ickray; 24th December 2013 at 07:58 AM.)
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Sorry, not to sound ungrateful for the help, but I feel like you're not reading what I'm saying :/. I would love to be able to do that, but as of right now I'm unable to get into Odin. Unless you can get into Odin using ADB or something of the sort that won't help me.
ah my fault
The Following User Says Thank You to ickray For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

richii0207
Old
(Last edited by richii0207; 24th December 2013 at 08:26 AM.)
Thanks Meter 395
You can always enter download/Odin mode. Hold the HOME button and the volume down button when powering on until the screen turns on.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using xda app-developers app

Phone: Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II
Rom: Unrooted / Stock

Surge1223
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2122

DONATE TO ME
Take the battery out and wait ten mins then put it back then try to boot in download mode. If you didnt flash over sbl 1-3 and aboot you should still be able to get into download mode. If not boot into recovery mode then clear cache and then try to boot to download mode. And what blue text in the upper right corner are you talking about? Download mode doesnt display that and recovery displays blue text in the upper left.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to Surge1223 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Nihilife
Old
(Last edited by Nihilife; 24th December 2013 at 02:40 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
I posted in the Safestrap thread asking for help too, and someone pointed out that you need to hold the buttons for Odin and release them when the phone vibrates, and I was keeping them help. Thanks so much for the help guys, I should be able to flash the recovery image and save my phone now.