5,601,062 Members 47,284 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Should I Buy an 8.9?

Tip us?

bigbrown
Old
Thanks Meter 6
I was this close to buying one, but after using the Nexus 5 and seeing how life is so much easier with unlocked bootloader, I'm never going back to a device that is not a Nexus or GPE. If I'm going be someone's b****, it better come with more benefits than Amazon Prime.

HoOnZ
Old
Thanks Meter 24

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by darksoul21 View Post
Amazon has no one to blame but themselves if they fail (again) with this device.
I'm not sure Amazon failed in the past with their Kindle Fires. Failed in the eyes of Devs maybe but not to normal consumers.

Engreeks1
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default Which apps are compatible with rooted Kindle fire HDX 8.9

Hi there!

I'm thinking about getting the kindle 8.9 for its awesome hardware, but I'm concerned about what apps are available? Assuming I root the device, can I side load ANY android app? Or only the handful that I see threads about on this forum? (e.g., google apps).

If I'm limited to a handful of apps that's probably a deal breaker.

Thanks in advance!

darksoul21
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoOnZ View Post
I'm not sure Amazon failed in the past with their Kindle Fires. Failed in the eyes of Devs maybe but not to normal consumers.
Normal? So your saying that people here are not? They are strange?

---------- Post added at 07:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:08 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engreeks1 View Post
Hi there!

I'm thinking about getting the kindle 8.9 for its awesome hardware, but I'm concerned about what apps are available? Assuming I root the device, can I side load ANY android app? Or only the handful that I see threads about on this forum? (e.g., google apps).

If I'm limited to a handful of apps that's probably a deal breaker.

Thanks in advance!
You can sideload. Some apps (like ones on Fdroid) need Root. The troublesome part is finding apks (Android version of installer file for app). You can use a back up tool on another device or search the net for apks (that are not Trojan/Virus modded).

---------- Post added at 07:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:11 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbrown View Post
I was this close to buying one, but after using the Nexus 5 and seeing how life is so much easier with unlocked bootloader, I'm never going back to a device that is not a Nexus or GPE. If I'm going be someone's b****, it better come with more benefits than Amazon Prime.
I have Prime, so may hold it for a bit. If the Gtab 10.1 2014 drops in price (by at least $100) I'll get rid of this.

Spec-Chum
Old
Thanks Meter 82
Quote:
At this point no. Most Dev's want to go after the easier targets that do not have locked bootloaders. Amazon has no one to blame but themselves if they fail (again) with this device.
I kinda disagree on this.

I agree on the Devs hitting the easier targets, but going by the specs and the price I think it's fairly clear (happy to be proved wrong lol) that Amazon are selling the HDX's at minimal profit and are relying on revenue from sales of their wares through pushing it massively through the Kindle OS.

Amazon obviously know that an unlocked bootloader == user removing Amazon specific features == lost revenue for them.

If it does fail it won't be due to the locked bootloader, IMHO. Although, I do feel they blew 1 toe off by not at least giving you the option of using Google Services on it, many apps require this and they could still bombard us with Amazon goodies.

Maybe, on the logic above, they could have released an unlocked version for a premium, but I for one would not have considered the Kindle HDX, regardless of the specs, if the price was more than a Nexus 7 2013.
Google Nexus 4 - KitKat

godsburden
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by CZ Eddie View Post
If you want real custom ROM's like CyanogenMOD or SlimRom's, then keep looking elsewhere. Because Kindle isn't getting them ANYTIME soon.
Why not? Literally every single kindle fire has a custom firmware or port to it. It seems like you're pulling this "kindles aren't getting custom roms" out of your ass.Hell, i've got kit-kat 4.4 running on the original kindle fire.

bigbrown
Old
Thanks Meter 6
I think the company that makes the kindle Foxcon/Asus/LG or whoever should have released a cosemetically altered version and sell it as a GPE. I would gladly pay $50 more for a unsubsidized version that isn't locked down. From what I read, the HW meets or exceeds Apple products.

darksoul21
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spec-Chum View Post
I kinda disagree on this.

I agree on the Devs hitting the easier targets, but going by the specs and the price I think it's fairly clear (happy to be proved wrong lol) that Amazon are selling the HDX's at minimal profit and are relying on revenue from sales of their wares through pushing it massively through the Kindle OS.

Amazon obviously know that an unlocked bootloader == user removing Amazon specific features == lost revenue for them.

If it does fail it won't be due to the locked bootloader, IMHO. Although, I do feel they blew 1 toe off by not at least giving you the option of using Google Services on it, many apps require this and they could still bombard us with Amazon goodies.

Maybe, on the logic above, they could have released an unlocked version for a premium, but I for one would not have considered the Kindle HDX, regardless of the specs, if the price was more than a Nexus 7 2013.
Little to no profit on the base models but they are getting more on the higher storage models. The real problem is that such powerful hardware is gimped by the OS locked to the device. Truly a waste. And it can fail by word of mouth as well. Folks ask the "techie" in the family what to get and this can easily be shot down as an option thanks to the lack of options. Everyone I know has a custom Rom or at least rooted on their hardware. Especially since they had me do it.

Spec-Chum
Old
Thanks Meter 82
Quote:
Little to no profit on the base models but they are getting more on the higher storage models. The real problem is that such powerful hardware is gimped by the OS locked to the device. Truly a waste. And it can fail by word of mouth as well. Folks ask the "techie" in the family what to get and this can easily be shot down as an option thanks to the lack of options. Everyone I know has a custom Rom or at least rooted on their hardware. Especially since they had me do it.
I couldn't decide to be fair, so I took the choice out of my hands and just gave the GF a choice of what to get me between the HDX and a Nexus 7.

She obviously chose the HDX for me and I can't say I'm disappointed.

I do have a Nexus 4 though so I can mod that to my hearts content. Her logic was why would I need 2 devices to do the same thing?

Fair call...
Google Nexus 4 - KitKat