5,595,000 Members 38,716 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Ativ S - battery draining quickly

Tip us?

firegarden
Old
(Last edited by firegarden; 24th December 2013 at 06:32 AM.) Reason: Clarification
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Ativ S - battery draining quickly

Hello,
I have an Ativ S and about a week ago the battery started to drain very quickly - about 15 to 20 per cent an hour.
I do not have wifi, bluetooth or gps on and usually the battery lasted 2 -3 days but now I need to recharge twice a day.

I thought that this was maybe caused by a program so I reset my phone and reinstalled only a few programs, but that did not work.

1) Is there any way that I can see if an app is draining my battery quickly?
2) Could this be a hardware problem? If so, how can i tell if it is the battery or the phone? I think that my warranty has expired, so returning it is not an option.

PS It is on GDR2, no interop unlock or any other tweak whatsoever.

Thanks

GoodDayToDie
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 2466
I'm not going to say it's flat-out impossible for an app to drain your battery that fast in the background, but it's not far off. If you want to be really sure, though, enable Battery Saver mode immediately after unplugging the phone (at full charge) and don't use it. Battery Saver prevents all background app activity, so there won't be any apps running and therefore they *cannot* be affecting the battery.

I'm pretty sure that, given the rate of drain and the fact that it persisted through a hard reset, you have a hardware problem. The good news is that it might just be a bad battery - that is a thing which happens, and it's even fairly common on batteries a couple years old - in which case it's a good thing you have a phone with a user-replaceable battery! The way I'd test that is to swap your battery into somebody else's ATIV S and see if the problem persists. If so, it's the battery; if not, it's your phone. Alternatively, you could just buy a second battery and see if that helps.

One other thing to check: if the battery really is still working and the phone is draining it that fast, it'll be dissipating a lot of energy as heat. Does the phone stay abnormally warm while the battery drains like that? That would be a sign of a problem with the phone or the OS, as opposed to the battery itself.

Oh, and I'm pretty sure there are some battery diagnostics and charging statistics located in the Diagnosis app (##634# in the dialer). I forget the code for them but I have all of the codes written somewhere; alternatively, you could do some searching. You could compare the reported battery capacity there with the expected (design) capacity.
Win8/Windows RT projects:
List of desktop apps for hacked RT devices

WP8 projects:
Native Access WebServer and Libraries
WP8 Interop Unlocks
Storage Cleanup tool

WP7 projects:
XapHandler, Root Webserver, OEM Marketplace XAPs, Bookmarklets collection (Find On Page), Interop-unlock hacks.

Do not private message me with questions that should have been posted on the forum! Not only are you wasting your time - I'm not going to bother writing an answer to such a question for only one person - but I will probably block you from PMing me in the future as well.
The Following User Says Thank You to GoodDayToDie For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

firegarden
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
I reset my phone again, installed only Viber and till so far, the battery drain seems to have disappeared (or at least improved).
Some users on wpcentral reported that they had major issues with battery drain caused by Whatsapp.
I used Whatsapp for quite some time but never had any problems( till now).
Maybe the last update caused this, i dunno...
Anyway, thanks for your answer.

I will see how it goes and I will let you know.