[HOWTO] Flash a custom ROM/zip and keep Knox cool

Search This thread
Update: Mobile Odin Pro 4.0+ is fully working with KitKat too! So you can upgrade your 4.3 to 4.4.2 with no problem and flash custom KK ROMS too! Don't forget to upgrade your bootloader though, and be careful, after upgrading you'll have a secure bootloader that will trip Knox if you ever lose root and want to root back again.

Installing from a rooted 4.3 with knox 0x0 the stock 4.4.2 rooted with Mobile Odin Pro + installing the BL through Odin PC + installing X-Note 8 through Mobile Odin Pro WITHOUT INSTALLING ANY KERNEL OR BOOTLOADER = X-Note 8 with knox 0x0 !

Thanks for the usefull tip ! :)

How to do the same:

Tested on European phone, not tested on US branded:
Download N9005XXUENA6_N9005OXXENA5_N9005XXUENA2_HOME.tar.md5, N9005XXUENA6_BL-Only.tar.md5 and Odin 3.09. Place the first file in your phone's memory. Do some backups and when you're ready, fire up MOP, load the HOME.tar.md5 in it, enable EverRoot, choose After flashing and select Download mode. Start flashing. When in download mode, hook your phone to the computer, run Odin 3.09, load he BL-Only.tar.md5 in the BL section, check Phone Bootloader Update, uncheck Auto Reset and Start. When Odin says RESET!, turn off your phone, and then press VOL UP+HOME+POWER to run recovery. Wait... and here you go!

Hello guys,

I'm posting a new thread as this is an extension of both using Mobile Odin Pro 3.85+ to flash stock firmwares and installing a custom ROM without flashing a custom recovery (preventing tripping knox).

This guide will show you how to flash a custom ROM and keeping Knox at 0x0 (it will NOT revert a 0x1 though, still not possible).

MAKE SURE THE ZIP FILE YOU PLAN TO INSTALL WILL NOT FLASH ANY RECOVERY OR ANY NON-STOCK KERNEL !!!

For your information, I tripped my Knox by flashing a ROM with its "Stock Kernel", which in fact wasn't. So, just to be on the safe side, do NOT flash kernels unless you're 100% sure this is an official and signed kernel. If unsure, just skip kernel installation, and you should be fine!

sorry the stock kernel was modified in ramdisk to enable init.d .... it will trip knox...

Some Aroma installers let you choose before installing, but others just do it without a warning. If you flash a wrong recovery or wrong kernel, you'll be screwed! So be aware of that. If you can, just check what the installer script is doing and remove the offending flashing parts, or ask the ROM's OP.

Also some ROMs (like AOSP) rely on some kernel's functionnalities that are not present in the stock kernel, or use a different version of the kernel. You would need to flash their custom kernel, which will trip Knox. There's nothing you can do about that for now. Same thing if you want to use modified kernel like SElinux permissive or more UC/UV/governor options. Those need a custom kernel, and will trip knox too.

Update ZIPs
Support for this means you can flash complete custom ROMs, or simple updates (like SuperSU's distribution ZIP file). This doesn't automatically mean all Update ZIPs are compatible. The environment in Mobile ODIN's temporary recovery is slightly different from CWM or TWRP, this can cause problems in some cases.

I'm of course not responsible for what you do. I'm trying to make it clear enough for you to understand, but if you don't fully understand that flashing a wrong recovery/kernel will trip your Knox, then you'd better keep stock.

Also, all this process can be totally reverted simply by flashing a stock ROM, either with MOP or with Odin on your computer (but it will not revert Kn0x of course...).

Anyway, here is the thing...

You need to turn Reactivation Lock off for the whole rooting/flashing part (just to be on the safe side).

First you have to safely root your device, for example with Root De La Vega. There is enough tutorials and how-tos out there, just look by yourself :)

Then, purchase and install Mobile Odin Pro.

Let's say you want to install a ROM based on firmware version ML2, I recommend (but it's not mandatory) to flash the corresponding stock firmware first (after you've flashed the custom ROM, I think you won't have to do that again, you can always update modem with standalone zip updates). Personally, as no stock ML2 was out at the time of doing this, I just installed MK2 then X-Note ML2 (with stock ML2 kernel), and that was it :)

Download the ROM from sammobile (choose the right one for your country, if you mix CSC you can trip Knox), load it on the phone's memory or the sdcard, and set up MOP like this (don't pay attention to the warning saying that you will trip Knox by using MOP, it does not if you follow these instructions carefully) :

4149xbn.png

Load the .tar.md5 with the "Open file..." option, check EverRoot, SuperSU, MobileOdin and wipe dalvik cache, and start flashing.

After rebooting, download the custom ROM you wish (for example X-Note), load the zip into the phone's memory or the sdcard, run MOP and set it up like this:

W6bKNb7.png

Load the .zip file with "OTA / Update ZIP" this time, uncheck EverRoot (your ROM should be already rooted), uncheck wipe dalvik cache (already done by the ROM installer) and start flashing.

If the Zip is an Aroma installer or similar, you'll be presented to your ROM's installation menu. Here is the most important part, so listen carefully: When asked, choose not to install any recovery, and don't install any custom kernel either (you can still flash stock kernel). Finish the installation, let it reboot, and enjoy your ROM with Knox 0x0 :)

Note: You can also flash any zip mods you want with that method (you just have to put the .zip into "OTA / Update ZIP", uncheck EverRoot and start flashing). Of course, I'll repeat once more, but you still cannot flash any custom recovery nor non-stock kernel (well you can, but then you'll trip Knox).

I'd be glad if we could also do nandroid backup/restores with MOP, that way we wouldn't have to flash a recovery at all :)

Hit Thanks if this helped you, and of course let us know how it went for you.

uvirXip.jpg

Yann

Last edited:

megatooth

Jun 29, 2012
Craiova
"First you have to safely root your device, for example with Root De La Vega. There is enough tutorials and how-tos out there, just look by yourself "
I am on MJ7 no root. If i use RDLV Knox will become 0x1. What about Chainfire?

ram3n

Nov 16, 2010
"First you have to safely root your device, for example with Root De La Vega. There is enough tutorials and how-tos out there, just look by yourself "
I am on MJ7 no root. If i use RDLV Knox will become 0x1. What about Chainfire?

Good question.

AFAIK, Chainfire's auto root on MJ7 and MK2 turns your Knox into 0x1....

So take it easy. Cheers

?

Sent from my NOTE 3 monster

Reactions: megatooth

piats

Jul 29, 2013
Latest firmware for my country is:
PDA: N9005XXUDMK2
CSC: N9005NEEDML2
MODEM: N9005XXUDMJ7
I want to install X-Note ML2 rom.
How should I do it? First install ML2 firmware without CSC and modem? Or is it even possible to flash only PDA with MOP?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Latest firmware for my country is:
PDA: N9005XXUDMK2
CSC: N9005NEEDML2
MODEM: N9005XXUDMJ7
I want to install X-Note ML2 rom.
How should I do it? First install ML2 firmware without CSC and modem? Or is it even possible to flash only PDA with MOP?

You can flash PDA only with MOP, but it will be totally erased when you'll install X-Note, so it's useless. You can upgrade Modem only (if needed) and then flash X-Note directly if you want. I told to flash latest firmware first to get latest official upgrades before going to custom ROM, but that's not mandatory, it depends on what you already flashed.

piats

Jul 29, 2013
You can flash PDA only with MOP, but it will be totally erased when you'll install X-Note, so it's useless. You can upgrade Modem only (if needed) and then flash X-Note directly if you want. I told to flash latest firmware first to get latest official upgrades before going to custom ROM, but that's not mandatory, it depends on what you already flashed.

My point was that I want to install latest X-Note rom and keep my country csc and modem. So can I first flash X-Note ROM and after that flash csc and modem via MOP?
Thanks for your patience

My point was that I want to install latest X-Note rom and keep my country csc and modem. So can I first flash X-Note ROM and after that flash csc and modem via MOP?
Thanks for your patience

X-Note doesn't update Modem anyway. If you want to reflash CSC you can, but I'm quite sure it doesn't change anything either. Not 100% sure but shouldn't be a problem to reflash CSC, nor not reflashing it at all too :p

Reactions: piats

piats

Jul 29, 2013
Thanks a lot for your information! I was not sure what would change after flashing ROM which is different than your country's latest firmwares. Nor I wasn't sure what MOP could flash. I will test and report back soon when I have enough time :)

scarecrow2012

Nov 28, 2006
Sydney
Just downloaded Singapore firmware and flashed on Australian Note 3, I cleared the Cache section on MOP and flashed it.It didn't trip Knox.

piats

Jul 29, 2013
Installed X-Note and had to choose BTU CSC in aroma installer. Now I have wrong CSC for my region. I'm just wondering would it be possible to flash correct csc for my country via odin?

Last edited:
I hope to God it's genuine lol I got it from best buy through Rogers.. Yes rooted and odin does have privileges. Thx

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

How did you guys get Mobile Odin to work? When I try to run it, it says device not supported.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Not sure it will work on SM-N900W8 or SM-N900T though, I only tested this on my SM-N9005. Check the compatibility between your device and MOP.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Update: Mobile Odin Pro 4.0+ is fully working with KitKat too! So you can upgrade your 4.3 to 4.4.2 with no problem and flash custom KK ROMS too! Don't forget to upgrade your bootloader though, and be careful, after upgrading you'll have a secure bootloader that will trip Knox if you ever lose root and want to root back again.

Installing from a rooted 4.3 with knox 0x0 the stock 4.4.2 rooted with Mobile Odin Pro + installing the BL through Odin PC + installing X-Note 8 through Mobile Odin Pro WITHOUT INSTALLING ANY KERNEL OR BOOTLOADER = X-Note 8 with knox 0x0 !

Thanks for the usefull tip ! :)

How to do the same:

Tested on European phone, not tested on US branded:
    Download N9005XXUENA6_N9005OXXENA5_N9005XXUENA2_HOME.tar.md5, N9005XXUENA6_BL-Only.tar.md5 and Odin 3.09. Place the first file in your phone's memory. Do some backups and when you're ready, fire up MOP, load the HOME.tar.md5 in it, enable EverRoot, choose After flashing and select Download mode. Start flashing. When in download mode, hook your phone to the computer, run Odin 3.09, load he BL-Only.tar.md5 in the BL section, check Phone Bootloader Update, uncheck Auto Reset and Start. When Odin says RESET!, turn off your phone, and then press VOL UP+HOME+POWER to run recovery. Wait... and here you go!

Hello guys,

I'm posting a new thread as this is an extension of both using Mobile Odin Pro 3.85+ to flash stock firmwares and installing a custom ROM without flashing a custom recovery (preventing tripping knox).

This guide will show you how to flash a custom ROM and keeping Knox at 0x0 (it will NOT revert a 0x1 though, still not possible).

MAKE SURE THE ZIP FILE YOU PLAN TO INSTALL WILL NOT FLASH ANY RECOVERY OR ANY NON-STOCK KERNEL !!!

For your information, I tripped my Knox by flashing a ROM with its "Stock Kernel", which in fact wasn't. So, just to be on the safe side, do NOT flash kernels unless you're 100% sure this is an official and signed kernel. If unsure, just skip kernel installation, and you should be fine!

sorry the stock kernel was modified in ramdisk to enable init.d .... it will trip knox...

Some Aroma installers let you choose before installing, but others just do it without a warning. If you flash a wrong recovery or wrong kernel, you'll be screwed! So be aware of that. If you can, just check what the installer script is doing and remove the offending flashing parts, or ask the ROM's OP.

Also some ROMs (like AOSP) rely on some kernel's functionnalities that are not present in the stock kernel, or use a different version of the kernel. You would need to flash their custom kernel, which will trip Knox. There's nothing you can do about that for now. Same thing if you want to use modified kernel like SElinux permissive or more UC/UV/governor options. Those need a custom kernel, and will trip knox too.

Update ZIPs
    Support for this means you can flash complete custom ROMs, or simple updates (like SuperSU's distribution ZIP file). This doesn't automatically mean all Update ZIPs are compatible. The environment in Mobile ODIN's temporary recovery is slightly different from CWM or TWRP, this can cause problems in some cases.

I'm of course not responsible for what you do. I'm trying to make it clear enough for you to understand, but if you don't fully understand that flashing a wrong recovery/kernel will trip your Knox, then you'd better keep stock.

Also, all this process can be totally reverted simply by flashing a stock ROM, either with MOP or with Odin on your computer (but it will not revert Kn0x of course...).

Anyway, here is the thing...

You need to turn Reactivation Lock off for the whole rooting/flashing part (just to be on the safe side).

First you have to safely root your device, for example with Root De La Vega. There is enough tutorials and how-tos out there, just look by yourself :)

Then, purchase and install Mobile Odin Pro.

Let's say you want to install a ROM based on firmware version ML2, I recommend (but it's not mandatory) to flash the corresponding stock firmware first (after you've flashed the custom ROM, I think you won't have to do that again, you can always update modem with standalone zip updates). Personally, as no stock ML2 was out at the time of doing this, I just installed MK2 then X-Note ML2 (with stock ML2 kernel), and that was it :)

Download the ROM from sammobile (choose the right one for your country, if you mix CSC you can trip Knox), load it on the phone's memory or the sdcard, and set up MOP like this (don't pay attention to the warning saying that you will trip Knox by using MOP, it does not if you follow these instructions carefully) :

4149xbn.png

Load the .tar.md5 with the "Open file..." option, check EverRoot, SuperSU, MobileOdin and wipe dalvik cache, and start flashing.

After rebooting, download the custom ROM you wish (for example X-Note), load the zip into the phone's memory or the sdcard, run MOP and set it up like this:

W6bKNb7.png

Load the .zip file with "OTA / Update ZIP" this time, uncheck EverRoot (your ROM should be already rooted), uncheck wipe dalvik cache (already done by the ROM installer) and start flashing.

If the Zip is an Aroma installer or similar, you'll be presented to your ROM's installation menu. Here is the most important part, so listen carefully: When asked, choose not to install any recovery, and don't install any custom kernel either (you can still flash stock kernel). Finish the installation, let it reboot, and enjoy your ROM with Knox 0x0 :)

Note: You can also flash any zip mods you want with that method (you just have to put the .zip into "OTA / Update ZIP", uncheck EverRoot and start flashing). Of course, I'll repeat once more, but you still cannot flash any custom recovery nor non-stock kernel (well you can, but then you'll trip Knox).

I'd be glad if we could also do nandroid backup/restores with MOP, that way we wouldn't have to flash a recovery at all :)

Hit Thanks if this helped you, and of course let us know how it went for you.

uvirXip.jpg

Yann
    Great, you have made a thread. Thank you!

Time to udpate your signature I guess ;) (and mine too btw).
    Yes you totally can, read the first quote in OP. You can install X-note 8 without flashing the modified stock kernel, keeping your Knox safe. You just have to flash from a working 4.4.2 stock firmware obviously (to keep the real stock kernel in place).

X-Note 9.0 also works with this method. I was already on na6 kitkat 4.4.2 so chose not to flash any kernel via aroma installer just in case, but the stock untouched na7 kernel *should* hopefully be just that and shouldn't trip knox, but can't say for sure.

All working fine, still knox 0x0 for now :p

Anyone tried this method with the KitKat bootloader, keeping KNOX 0x0? :D

I tried using MOP with KitKat (using an update zip file doing nothing), and my Knox is still happy, so I guess you can. Keep stock kernel/recovery still.
    Tried but still can't get Odin to load up. Cdn note3

You change build.prop to SM-N9005 and reboot and it will open. I read it works but have tried to flash anything