5,600,483 Members 32,929 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Phone unbearably slow, Play Store not installing apps (not enough storage, not true)

Tip us?

MarkMRL
Old
(Last edited by MarkMRL; 24th December 2013 at 06:46 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 63
Default Phone unbearably slow, Play Store not installing apps (not enough storage, not true)

My father is complaining a lot lately that the phone is even slower than usual and that apps are not installing. I checked it out myself and while I find stock ICS on these devices literally unusable even after a fresh install, this time it's worse than anything I've ever seen, apps take several seconds to open and the phone chugs along at a snail's pace. On top of that, I can't install **** even though I have over 100Mb free internal memory, yet the Play Store keeps complaining about not enough storage available.

I have no idea how the phone became this slow, like I said before, ICS is a clunky sluggish mess on 2011 xperias, but now it's even worse, and my father other than the stock apps only installed Whatsapp.

So yeah, how do I make this piece of crap usable and how do you fix the storage issue? Google gives me a billion different solutions and not a single one works.

Phone is rooted on stock ICS latest, model is ARC S.

Formatting the phone is not a solution, so I can't install another rom (unless you can keep the data partition).

georgeiulian89
Old
Thanks Meter 632
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkMRL View Post
My father is complaining a lot lately that the phone is even slower than usual and that apps are not installing. I checked it out myself and while I find stock ICS on these devices literally unusable even after a fresh install, this time it's worse than anything I've ever seen, apps take several seconds to open and the phone chugs along at a snail's pace. On top of that, I can't install **** even though I have over 100Mb free internal memory, yet the Play Store keeps complaining about not enough storage available.

I have no idea how the phone became this slow, like I said before, ICS is a clunky sluggish mess on 2011 xperias, but now it's even worse, and my father other than the stock apps only installed Whatsapp.

So yeah, how do I make this piece of crap usable and how do you fix the storage issue? Google gives me a billion different solutions and not a single one works.

Phone is rooted on stock ICS latest, model is ARC S.

Formatting the phone is not a solution, so I can't install another rom (unless you can keep the data partition).
Go back to GB. In the end, this phone was made to run smootly on GB, not on ICS.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2261389
^
II
XPERIA NEO Z ROM BY GEORGEIULIAN89

Someguyfromhell
Old
(Last edited by Someguyfromhell; 25th December 2013 at 09:51 PM.)
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1898

DONATE TO ME
Stock ICS is just a huge fail. Custom ROMs make it a little better, but GB works the best.
EDIT: Just a note, for Play Store issue, try clearing data for the Play Store app.

Sent from my LT18i
The Following User Says Thank You to Someguyfromhell For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

xdlol123321
Old
Thanks Meter 8
You can try flashing a new ROM without wiping Data...
Nevertheless, IMO, the best solution is to save all the data on the SD Card and reflash the stock Arc S TFT through FlashTool. This will normally solve lots of bugs.
Hope I helped.
Cheers.
_ _ _ _ _ __________________________________________________ _ _ _ _ _
~ The only limit is the one you set yourself ~
_ _ _ _ _ __________________________________________________ _ _ _ _ _

pren22
Old
(Last edited by pren22; 25th December 2013 at 10:53 PM.)
Thanks Meter 82
Quote:
My father is complaining a lot lately that the phone is even slower than usual and that apps are not installing.
Stock ICS sucks on arc,custom ROM is a little better than stock but still it's pretty slow.I recommended you to use the ROM that i use it's custom,everything works perfect and it's fast.It's based on GB.Gin2KitKat 3.0.0 the ROM is themed to look like kitkat but it's GB and it runs perfectly on this phone,that ROM you can install without wiping data,just follow the steps(Gin2KitKat is the ROM that that works for me,there are different people's with different need's but this is the ROM i always come back to).But almost every ROM you can flash without wiping data,but ROM's works better when the phone is clean.But just in case make a nandroid backup with CWM and backup data with an app,if you can't install from market google for it...I think titanium backup would be perfect for this job i think the free version can do the job.Good luck!

Sent from my LT15i using xda premium

MarkMRL
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 63
Thanks guys, I think I'll just flash an GB based rom. He wanted to avoid having to reset the phone (even with the backup it takes some time to restore everything as it was before) but there doesn't seem to be any other solution. I remember that when I had the Xperia Ray I used a rom that was the same as Gingerbread on Xperia S and had no bugs whatsoever, is there something similar for Arc? And can I flash Arc roms on the Arc S no problem?

Someguyfromhell
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1898

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Thanks guys, I think I'll just flash an GB based rom. He wanted to avoid having to reset the phone (even with the backup it takes some time to restore everything as it was before) but there doesn't seem to be any other solution. I remember that when I had the Xperia Ray I used a rom that was the same as Gingerbread on Xperia S and had no bugs whatsoever, is there something similar for Arc? And can I flash Arc roms on the Arc S no problem?
Most (if not all) ROMs are built for Arc and Arc S both, they will work on both as well.
There are some GB ROMs available, most known now is probably Gin2KitKat (using it myself), but look in the Development section to find more.