5,604,219 Members 48,959 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

CC as a Cheap Xmas Present/Stocking Stuffer

Tip us?

wideasleep1
Old
(Last edited by wideasleep1; 24th December 2013 at 09:49 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 362
Default CC as a Cheap Xmas Present/Stocking Stuffer

Lots of offices have 'secret santa' arrangements, or maybe you're the kind of person who just loves to give out interesting, and hopefully cheap, widgets for Xmas gifts to friends/co-workers like I do. This year, I decided Chromecasts were the way to go: introduce tech to folks stuck in an i-everything world, not need much after-gift support, etc. etc. So I walk into Bestbuy, head to the TV section and easily locate Roku, WDTV, Sony streamers. I look and look. No Chromecasts. I ask a blueshirt...he knows what it is, but doesn't know where it is. He asks another blueshirt..he doesn't know what it is. He asks another blueshirt, who 'knows' what it is (but doesn't really) and says it's over in comuters ' because it's actually a flashdrive". 'Oh..okay' I said, trying my best to hide my rolling eyes and avoiding the nagging pressure to set him straight..I occasionally have focus. I walked to computer and still could fine them. Asked another blueshirt, 'oh they're in front of the back service desk' as she points. I walk over and continue to search. FINALLY, I find a Google display, that looks like a faux wood locked cabinet, see-through glass with Chromecasts hanging inside a few inches off the floor. Pathetic. I wait another 12 minutes while someone finds a key to unlock the cabinet. Ultimately, someone never seen screaches over the walkie-talkie to my anxious blueshirt that no keys can be found. I sigh aloud. A blueshirt overhears the 'commotion' while checking out someone's new laptop at the service desk beside us, and pipes up...'you know, I think there may be a few hanging near the Chromebooks...low and behold, I find 4 Chromecasts hanging in small locked plastic cases right next to the HP 14 Chromebook. The service desk can sell them to me, but I must have them unlocked at the front, while the laptop buyer can walk right out the door. Unbelievable. Took a half hour, in a Bestbuy that literally had a dozen customers, at least 2:1 blueshirt to customer ratio, to buy a cheap device hidden and locked down tighter than Fort Knox. Lesson: Xmas shopping sucks...unless you go Amazon. Cheers, and Merry Xmas!
B/W Sidekick/Color Sidekick2/TMO MDA/TMO Dash/G1/Nexus 1/Sensation/SGS3/Nexus 4/Nexus 5
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wideasleep1 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

bhiga
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 563

DONATE TO ME
Be sure to put that in your customer feedback. That store is majorly slacking. I'm pretty sure Google puts good money into having those displays there. Also, Chromecasts should be in both the Computer and the TV/Audio/Home Theater departments.
Sad.
-- Brandon // Google Chromecast threads: FAQ - READ THIS FIRST! || Rootable Serial Numbers
Mini-FAQ: What's the big deal with root? || Mini-FAQ: Rooting with FlashCast || Assemble a powered OTG cable
WiFi Bandwidth and Router considerations || Not all 1080p/720p is created equal
Follow the rules / Use 'Search' before posting / Post in the correct sections / Do not spam the board / Press thanks, don't post 'Thanks'

Asphyx
Old
Thanks Meter 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhiga View Post
Be sure to put that in your customer feedback. That store is majorly slacking. I'm pretty sure Google puts good money into having those displays there. Also, Chromecasts should be in both the Computer and the TV/Audio/Home Theater departments.
Sad.
The Packaging is so small that I suppose they were flying off the shelf but not being paid for! LOL
Hence the Lockbox!

MarkOden
Old
Thanks Meter 12
I bought 3 from Amazon at $29.99 each as Christmas presents to give loved ones.

Sent from my SCH-I605

wptski
Old
Thanks Meter 155
Quote:
Sad.
The last BestBuy that I found a huge amount of them at they were on a free standing shelve display in the middle of a large open floor area in no real department. It was a new store and very big.
Nexus 10 32GB Buttered Manta AOKP 4.3 ROM with KTManta kernel
Dell Streak 7 WiFi Unofficial CM 10.1

bhiga
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 563

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by wptski View Post
The last BestBuy that I found a huge amount of them at they were on a free standing shelve display in the middle of a large open floor area in no real department. It was a new store and very big.
Yeah, I visited one that had all the new stuff - Microsoft wall-o-stuff, Samsung Experience, a Google wood theme endcap near the front of the store and a Google wood theme mini-pavilion in the computer area. The overall store design seems to be moving toward more islands rather than aisles.
-- Brandon // Google Chromecast threads: FAQ - READ THIS FIRST! || Rootable Serial Numbers
Mini-FAQ: What's the big deal with root? || Mini-FAQ: Rooting with FlashCast || Assemble a powered OTG cable
WiFi Bandwidth and Router considerations || Not all 1080p/720p is created equal
Follow the rules / Use 'Search' before posting / Post in the correct sections / Do not spam the board / Press thanks, don't post 'Thanks'

wptski
Old
Thanks Meter 155
Quote:
Yeah, I visited one that had all the new stuff - Microsoft wall-o-stuff, Samsung Experience, a Google wood theme endcap near the front of the store and a Google wood theme mini-pavilion in the computer area. The overall store design seems to be moving toward more islands rather than aisles.
This particular store also had two cash registers right in the computer department.
Nexus 10 32GB Buttered Manta AOKP 4.3 ROM with KTManta kernel
Dell Streak 7 WiFi Unofficial CM 10.1