5,595,000 Members 39,529 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Completely stock, S-on, 4.3 Sprint htc one. How do i flash/unlock?

Tip us?

Pika007
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 21
Default Completely stock, S-on, 4.3 Sprint htc one. How do i flash/unlock?

Hi
I have a sprint HTC One, 4.3, stock, not rooted, locked, everything as in the factory settings.
I need this thing sim unlocked. Went around only to see guides that assume you have your device half-ready for the procedure-
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2491840
"Don't flash it wet". What the hell does that mean?
I went around to search some more and see that to flash a rom, i need to be S-off.
Ironically, in another thread it said that to go S-off on 4.3........... i have to be on a custom rom.
My goal is very, very simple:
I just need to flash the rom in the link, that's all.
Can anyone please help and tell me what do i need to do and what goes where? i'm really at a loss, didn't touch any HTC device since the desire.
Always looking to buy GSM phones in good condition (any type of mid-end to premium phones), PM me if you have one.

tdhite
Old
Thanks Meter 1492

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pika007 View Post
Hi
I have a sprint HTC One, 4.3, stock, not rooted, locked, everything as in the factory settings.
I need this thing sim unlocked. Went around only to see guides that assume you have your device half-ready for the procedure-
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2491840
"Don't flash it wet". What the hell does that mean?
I went around to search some more and see that to flash a rom, i need to be S-off.
Ironically, in another thread it said that to go S-off on 4.3........... i have to be on a custom rom.
My goal is very, very simple:
I just need to flash the rom in the link, that's all.
Can anyone please help and tell me what do i need to do and what goes where? i'm really at a loss, didn't touch any HTC device since the desire.
I suspect "Don't flash it wet" was a mere typo and was intended as "Don't flash it yet."

With that said -- if you read the remainder of the instructions you probably should have figured that out. And to flash a ROM, you do *not* need to be S-OFF.

What all this tells me is you really, really need to read all of the q&a page @bigdaddy619 created for all HTC One users. Everything is in there -- it will point you to the correct threads to read / view (videos) to unlock, root, obtain S-OFF, whatever. But honestly, take the time to read -- you have a nice device and the threads here are littered with folks jumping the gun and ending up in misery.

Pika007
Old
(Last edited by Pika007; 24th December 2013 at 05:12 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 21
I actually read that thread entirely- Unfortunately it never reminds if you need to be S-off or not to flash a rom, nor does it say explicitly "you don't have to be s-off to flash a rom"
This thread was made for the sole purpose of not jumping the gun, and not ending with a disaster.

Now that i know that s-off is not relevant to the case, i can unlock my bootloader, flash a recovery and flash the rom with a clear mind and no fear my device would brick due to wrong procedures.
Thanks.

-That said, unfortunately, the guides don't update while software versions do. Most of the guides go up to 4.2.2, so i don't know what will or won't work on 4.3
Always looking to buy GSM phones in good condition (any type of mid-end to premium phones), PM me if you have one.

Pika007
Old
(Last edited by Pika007; 24th December 2013 at 05:08 PM.) Reason: double
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 21
-please delete. double.

tdhite
Old
Thanks Meter 1492

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pika007 View Post
That said, unfortunately, the guides don't update while software versions do. Most of the guides go up to 4.2.2, so i don't know what will or won't work on 4.3
Most of us flash 4.3, works fine. Beware of file system changes, obviously, between older (e.g., 4.1 based ROMs) and later versions. You'll end up with 'lost files' that you have to fixup otherwise -- most particularly nandroids.

If you use TWRP -- just make sure you turn off the screen timeout or you'll get screwed when it turns off -- all too often you can't get the screen back on with out a 'hold-forever power/vol-down until it reboots' operation. I use PhilZ recovery because it's solid, no screen issues, charges the battery, has proper OTG support, and supports both TWRP and CWM style nandroids.

Hope it goes well for you.