Tip us?

ch3ss
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Q: Do I goto 4.3 ?

All:

I have my note II rooted, and its running 4.1.2
I received the OTA today, and I chose not to download it. Just curious on what folks are doing ?

I dont run any custom rom on my Note II, I just use it for rooting purposes....

if I do want to upgrade to 4.3 what is the suggested path of action ?

I thought I could use wugfresh I guess not though ?

Thanks

computerslayer
Old
Thanks Meter 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by ch3ss View Post
All:

I have my note II rooted, and its running 4.1.2
I received the OTA today, and I chose not to download it. Just curious on what folks are doing ?

I dont run any custom rom on my Note II, I just use it for rooting purposes....

if I do want to upgrade to 4.3 what is the suggested path of action ?

I thought I could use wugfresh I guess not though ?

Thanks
Once you upgrade to 4.3 OTA, your bootloader is locked and root is gone, along with the generally unwelcome addition of Samsung's KNOX technology. No bootloader exploit currently exists. If you upgrade by flashing one of the ROM's here on XDA or the non-OTA update to 4.3 (check the Android Development forum), you get the latest software and keep an unlocked bootloader & root.

Mejud
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by computerslayer View Post
Once you upgrade to 4.3 OTA, your bootloader is locked and root is gone, along with the generally unwelcome addition of Samsung's KNOX technology. No bootloader exploit currently exists. If you upgrade by flashing one of the ROM's here on XDA or the non-OTA update to 4.3 (check the Android Development forum), you get the latest software and keep an unlocked bootloader & root.
Wife gave me my Christmas present yesterday...(a Note 2 she bought used...lovely phone). It started an update when I fired it up, (has been so long since I rooted my Bionic, I completely forgot about OTA's) It now has 4.3, and the only sort of tethering I can mange with it is usb pdanet, which merely qualifies as 'better than nothing', as it often drops out. Might have to put the damn thing in a drawer and fire up the Bionic until the tech gods here work it out. Am downloading a zip from another thread mentioned by Tfly12 that purports to get around the entitlement check...will see

Nefariouss
Old
Thanks Meter 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mejud View Post
Wife gave me my Christmas present yesterday...(a Note 2 she bought used...lovely phone). It started an update when I fired it up, (has been so long since I rooted my Bionic, I completely forgot about OTA's) It now has 4.3, and the only sort of tethering I can mange with it is usb pdanet, which merely qualifies as 'better than nothing', as it often drops out. Might have to put the damn thing in a drawer and fire up the Bionic until the tech gods here work it out. Am downloading a zip from another thread mentioned by Tfly12 that purports to get around the entitlement check...will see
Can't flash that zip though can ya? Trust me. Loosing tethering is the biggest thing that ticks me off about 4.3.

Hate having to have an nonroot phone for work.

Mejud
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefariouss View Post
Can't flash that zip though can ya? Trust me. Loosing tethering is the biggest thing that ticks me off about 4.3.

Hate having to have an nonroot phone for work.
not sure yet, my last experience with this was the Bionic....and after I got it doing what I wanted it to do.....never bothered with it again. Now I'm trying to learn everything Samsung, (precious little of Motorola knowledge seems to apply here....I always thought Odin was a Viking god...) so I don't end up in one of those frantic "HELPME! MY PHONEWON'TEVENTURNONANYMOREIHATEYUPEOPLE" posts....

ch3ss
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by computerslayer View Post
Seems like I should wait then... It tried to download and install last night but it failed, so it just rebooted and i am good... probably because i have recovery on... not sure....

I prefer to honestly just go back to stock, and then maybe goto 4.3 once there is a good root out there....

BigggJack
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mejud View Post
not sure yet, my last experience with this was the Bionic....and after I got it doing what I wanted it to do.....never bothered with it again. Now I'm trying to learn everything Samsung, (precious little of Motorola knowledge seems to apply here....I always thought Odin was a Viking god...) so I don't end up in one of those frantic "HELPME! MY PHONEWON'TEVENTURNONANYMOREIHATEYUPEOPLE" posts....
I made the same move after my speaker started going on my BIONIC, fortunately for me I made the move to the N2 a few months ago. If you are lucky and someone is able to get the bootloader unlocked on 4.3, you should find this device much easier to work with then using Safestrap and all that other jazz. Odin is sort of like using HOB except I have only had to use it twice and not constantly. Once to unlock the bootloader initially and just recently to update the modem and wifi parameters when I made the move to 4.3

Hopefully someone can help you get set up to use the N2 the way you need it.