XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Droid Ultra update questions

Tip us?

darthespa
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default [Q] Droid Ultra update questions

Okay, so I am on 4.2.2, rooted using the RockMyMoto method. I have not yet seen an OTA, but I see zips galore and confusing banter in the threads about the .zips. What I am wondering is what would my course of action be to upgrade to 4.4 and keep my WiFi tether?

Not an ADB, Fastboot, or RSD noob, just being super cautious so I don't rush things and get bricked.

Yachter99
Old
(Last edited by Yachter99; 25th December 2013 at 12:51 AM.)
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthespa View Post
Okay, so I am on 4.2.2, rooted using the RockMyMoto method. I have not yet seen an OTA, but I see zips galore and confusing banter in the threads about the .zips. What I am wondering is what would my course of action be to upgrade to 4.4 and keep my WiFi tether?

Not an ADB, Fastboot, or RSD noob, just being super cautious so I don't rush things and get bricked.
Wait until you get an OTA notification - many many people including me have been bricked by the .zip and are now without our phones for possibly weeks until the firmware is released, it is too risky to update using it as you must follow the posted directions to the letter, and even then something can go wrong, especially if you are rooted. I highly recommend waiting

Also if you are rooted when taking the OTA, ensure your stock recovery is working (boot while holding power and volume down, then select recovery) if you don't see the Android with an exclamation mark, and your device instead boots after selecting "Recovery", then you must first use the MotoWpNo tool to get permanent write-off protection. But once again taking the update while rooted in general has posed some problems (especially if you use this tool improperly) and if anything I personally from experience recommend taking the update while not rooted, and waiting for an official 4.4 root to be released, which shouldn't take too long anyways