5,599,190 Members 36,118 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

current status of alternative OS for TF700?

Tip us?

geniv
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Default current status of alternative OS for TF700?

Just wondering I read that there are development on running unbuntu on the TF700 (dual boot I think?)

what is the status of that and how stable/reliable is it? It would be great if I can run linux on it and have a true desktop experience.

also any word on if anyone ported Windows 8 RT on this thing? there is an asus table+Dock that have similiar specs to the tf700 that runs Windows RT.

Andriod + Unbuntu + Windows RT triple boot would be a wet dream for me

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk HD

JoinTheRealms
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1006
Quote:
Originally Posted by geniv View Post
Just wondering I read that there are development on running unbuntu on the TF700 (dual boot I think?)

what is the status of that and how stable/reliable is it? It would be great if I can run linux on it and have a true desktop experience.

also any word on if anyone ported Windows 8 RT on this thing? there is an asus table+Dock that have similiar specs to the tf700 that runs Windows RT.

Andriod + Unbuntu + Windows RT triple boot would be a wet dream for me

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk HD
Linux runs great, other than a workaround needed for sleep, pretty much everything thing else works fine. Kexecboot allows for multiboot of pretty much anything, ubuntu, android and ubuntu touch (no reason it wouldn't work if the kernel is patched for kexec, but afaik it hasn't been tested). The only way we would ever be able to run windows rt is if Microsoft/ Asus released the tf600 firmware, bootloader etc (will never happen).
My Devices

---------------------SmartPhones-----------------------------------|
Nexus 5
*MultiRom: Omni,SlimKat and Ubuntu-Touch

LG Optimus x4 HD
*OmniRom
-----------------------Tablets------------------------------------------|
T100TA 64gb
*Windows 8.1 / Ubuntu 14.04

TF700 64gb
*Cromi 5 / Ubuntu 13.04 Dualboot

TF300T 32gb
*Xubuntu 14.04

TF101
*Lubuntu 12.04
-----------------------T.V Sticks--------------------------------------|
MK908(TV Stick)
*Ubuntu 12.04

geniv
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoinTheRealms View Post
Linux runs great, other than a workaround needed for sleep, pretty much everything thing else works fine. Kexecboot allows for multiboot of pretty much anything, ubuntu, android and ubuntu touch (no reason it wouldn't work if the kernel is patched for kexec, but afaik it hasn't been tested). The only way we would ever be able to run windows rt is if Microsoft/ Asus released the tf600 firmware, bootloader etc (will never happen).
from searching it seems like only Unbuntu linux can run on it. but the youtube videos I seen are like 8 months old and the development on thread on XDA seems to be closed for some reason.

In this state is Unbuntu fast/stable enough to be used as a daily driver?

can I get software from the software center app like how unbuntu is on my desktop or do the apps have to be designed specifically for the arm version of unbuntu? (I'm trying to get stuff like libre office, adacity and gimp running on it)

where is the latest info on dual booting to it? I got cromix 5.2.3 installed.

sorry if I seems to ask too much I'm still new to this
THANKS FOR THE HELP AND HAPPY HOLIDAY!

JoinTheRealms
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1006
Quote:
Originally Posted by geniv View Post
from searching it seems like only Unbuntu linux can run on it. but the youtube videos I seen are like 8 months old and the development on thread on XDA seems to be closed for some reason.

In this state is Unbuntu fast/stable enough to be used as a daily driver?

can I get software from the software center app like how unbuntu is on my desktop or do the apps have to be designed specifically for the arm version of unbuntu? (I'm trying to get stuff like libre office, adacity and gimp running on it)

where is the latest info on dual booting to it? I got cromix 5.2.3 installed.

sorry if I seems to ask too much I'm still new to this
THANKS FOR THE HELP AND HAPPY HOLIDAY!
Basically any armhf distro will run, debian, gentoo etc but it will require prepping the rootfs to work with our solution. For now ubuntu 13.04 and arch linux are supported, also its pretty easy to use debootstrap to setup up your own debian based rootfs.

ubuntu/ linux can be easily used as a daily driver, we have working 2d and 3d acceleration so it feels like your working on an ordinary notebook.

Packages need to be compiled for armhf, but pretty much everything is compatible(all your above examples work fine.)

For info, look in the threads started by @workdowg in the general section, we also have kexecboot, which is more flexible but does require some setting up
My Devices

---------------------SmartPhones-----------------------------------|
Nexus 5
*MultiRom: Omni,SlimKat and Ubuntu-Touch

LG Optimus x4 HD
*OmniRom
-----------------------Tablets------------------------------------------|
T100TA 64gb
*Windows 8.1 / Ubuntu 14.04

TF700 64gb
*Cromi 5 / Ubuntu 13.04 Dualboot

TF300T 32gb
*Xubuntu 14.04

TF101
*Lubuntu 12.04
-----------------------T.V Sticks--------------------------------------|
MK908(TV Stick)
*Ubuntu 12.04
The Following User Says Thank You to JoinTheRealms For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]