5,606,347 Members 32,928 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Baffled about my Tab 2

Tip us?

Speedy8311
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
well ....I have been doin a lot of research,maybe too much lol....but the only thing I can get outta all of it is that to flash a kernel or rom or both I need to go into recovery(power and up volume) and do a wipe of the cashe and install.....then it seems to trail off there with a ok now your done go enjoy....
I cant seem to find any kinda description of what happens in between the wiping of the cashe/devlick and the install...I keep ending up in the recovey section wheather I use rom manager rom toolbox or just me following directions. I will say this though.....I do not see the cwm logo in the recovery....I stiil have the android and he lays there dead then does a quick flash to an error message then I get the menu....but there is no "mount and storage" and "backup and restore" option for me to choose from I put the tab into recovery mode and took a picture....its in the previous post.

Speedy8311
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
I am still using the stock rom and kernel btw....Im not sure if I have mentioned that. I havnt been able to flash anything.

kt-Froggy
Old
Thanks Meter 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy8311 View Post
I am still using the stock rom and kernel btw....Im not sure if I have mentioned that. I havnt been able to flash anything.
Yeah, I got that. Sorry for the confusion! I updated my previous post, take a look. Stock recovery seems to be your problem here.
Optimus G F180S, tweaked E975 Stock 4.1.2
Xperia X10 Mini, rooted stock 2.1
MeMO Pad HD 7 ME173X, rooted stock 4.2.2

To whom it may concern: STOP nagging about pressing the freakin' Thanks button!!! It is rude, stupid, and annoys the hell out of people. I am not an idiot who needs a huge in-my-face reminder to press it, and I will press it when I feel thankful, not because you asked for it!

Speedy8311
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
No harm done lol I appreciate all the help.....I'm a bit new at this,but I learn quick. Ok....I may be putting CWM or pfilze wrong way on my tab I loaded it from the play store,along but when I rooted tab I'm 99% positive that I installed CWM also . when I plug it into the computer I can see a clockwork folder.do I neeed to use odin to install philz?

Speedy8311
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
is there a specific PhilZ Touch for the tab 2? or can I just download it to the computer and send it to my tab via odin?

kt-Froggy
Old
(Last edited by kt-Froggy; 24th December 2013 at 04:50 AM.)
Thanks Meter 518
Quote:
when I rooted tab I'm 99% positive that I installed CWM also . when I plug it into the computer I can see a clockwork folder.do I neeed to use odin to install philz?
Not sure exactly what and how you did previously, but the fact is that you've got a stock recovery now. You need a custom recovery - it doesn't have to be PhilZ, even though I strongly recommend it. You can install standard CWM, too, no problem with that. To install PhilZ, you either need CWM to be already installed, or you need to use Odin.

For details and install instructions on PhilZ CWM, look here:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2202667

Oh, BTW, as an alternative to Odin, look up the Mobile Odin by Chainfire on Play Store. It allows you to flash Odin packages from your device directly. Very useful tool! Free version will do, but the paid one has more features.

Quote:
is there a specific PhilZ Touch for the tab 2? or can I just download it to the computer and send it to my tab via odin?
Yes, there is. Look in the thread I linked above.

To whom it may concern: STOP nagging about pressing the freakin' Thanks button!!! It is rude, stupid, and annoys the hell out of people. I am not an idiot who needs a huge in-my-face reminder to press it, and I will press it when I feel thankful, not because you asked for it!

Speedy8311
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Yep.....i got it stuck in forever boot using mobile odin.... Uugggh....I'm gonna return everything to stock and re-root it.....what ever I did the first time rooting and installing cwm I must a missed a step or something. I'll repost my progress when I'm back to stock and rooted properly
MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!!!!

Speedy8311
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
YAY!!! Merry Christmas to me!!! I unrooted and repaired my tab 2 7.0 . I also re-rooted it and installed philztouch and everything is installed properly this time. Funny thing though.....after I got the tab working and before I re-rooted it...I tried to do the factory update to 4.2.2 ,since now I'm only on 4.1.1,it said that I had the latest updates available and my apps and phone list didn't auto load like when I first got my tab....hhhmmmm...anyways it works now and all root stuff and twrp is properly only one more question...now that TWRP is working....when I want to download a kernel or rom do I leave it in Zipped form when I put it on the tab and the tab unzips it and flashs it or do I unzip it? .....sorry for all the basic questions but ya cant learn unless you ask questions

Thanks for every ones help with my Tab 2!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Speedy8311 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

kt-Froggy
Old
Thanks Meter 518
Quote:
YAY!!! Merry Christmas to me!!! I unrooted and repaired my tab 2 7.0 .
Well, congrats, and merry Christmas! A bit confused - are you using PhilZ CWM, or TWRP?

As for zip files, leave them as they are, don't unzip - the recovery will install them. Just a suggestion - whenever possible, especially for large files like complete ROMs, verify the MD5 checksum to make sure your file is not corrupt during download.

Speedy8311
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
just went into recovery and it says Philz touch 6