5,605,120 Members 37,757 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Problems loading stock radio and recovery

Tip us?

resplin
Old
(Last edited by resplin; 20th December 2013 at 11:00 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Unhappy [Q] Problems loading stock radio and recovery

I got myself into trouble and I hope that someone who knows more than me can answer two questions.

Background:

I bought a new Nexus 7 2013 WIFI (razor / flo). I loaded TWRP recovery, and rooted the device. I decided to encrypt the drive, but TWRP doesn't appear able to do that (when the device reboots to start encryption, it just boots normally into Android). However it does appear that TWRP can mount an encrypted drive, so I decided to flash stock recovery to do the encryption and then reflash with TWRP.

Problem 1:

I accidentally flashed with the wrong stock image. I used the image for the Nexus 7 2013 Mobile (razorg / deb). The flash-all.sh script includes a step for flashing the radio (fastboot flash radio radio-deb-deb-g00_2.37.0_1024.img). It executed the command without error, but I don't think there is a radio partition on this device. Does anyone know if there is a radio partition to control the GPS, WIFI, and/or NFC? Should I do something to undo this problem? I cannot find a radio firmware for this device, and the WIFI and GPS appear to work fine so perhaps I should just move on.

Problem 2:

Even when I use the stock recovery image for the correct device, it does not appear to load correctly. fastboot runs without errors, but when I boot into recovery I get the unconscious android with the red exclamation in his tummy. I have done a full wipe of all partitions, and a full restore. Based on my search in the forums, this appears to be a common problem but the suggested solutions don't seem to apply to my device. Any suggestions?

I should note that re-installing TRWP works fine, and I was able to restore my data from a backup. But I can't encrypt the device or install future updates until I can roll back to the stock restore image.

Thank you in advance for your help.

wantabe
Old
(Last edited by wantabe; 24th December 2013 at 11:35 AM.)
Thanks Meter 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by resplin View Post
I got myself into trouble and I hope that someone who knows more than me can answer two questions.

Background:

I bought a new Nexus 7 2013 WIFI (razor / flo). I loaded TWRP recovery, and rooted the device. I decided to encrypt the drive, but TWRP doesn't appear able to do that (when the device reboots to start encryption, it just boots normally into Android). However it does appear that TWRP can mount an encrypted drive, so I decided to flash stock recovery to do the encryption and then reflash with TWRP.

Problem 1:

I accidentally flashed with the wrong stock image. I used the image for the Nexus 7 2013 Mobile (razorg / deb). The flash-all.sh script includes a step for flashing the radio (fastboot flash radio radio-deb-deb-g00_2.37.0_1024.img). It executed the command without error, but I don't think there is a radio partition on this device. Does anyone know if there is a radio partition to control the GPS, WIFI, and/or NFC? Should I do something to undo this problem? I cannot find a radio firmware for this device, and the WIFI and GPS appear to work fine so perhaps I should just move on.

Problem 2:

Even when I use the stock recovery image for the correct device, it does not appear to load correctly. fastboot runs without errors, but when I boot into recovery I get the unconscious android with the red exclamation in his tummy. I have done a full wipe of all partitions, and a full restore. Based on my search in the forums, this appears to be a common problem but the suggested solutions don't seem to apply to my device. Any suggestions?

I should note that re-installing TRWP works fine, and I was able to restore my data from a backup. But I can't encrypt the device or install future updates until I can roll back to the stock restore image.

Thank you in advance for your help.
Flash the wifi factory image. I assume you're talking about flashing in adb. Once you flash the correct image it should all be good. I've never even tried to encrypt the drive so can't offer any help there. If you use flash-all you will need to reflash TWRP afterwards then SuperSu.
"Don't confuse me with facts, I've already made up my mind!"

AT&T HTC One X - 4.2.2 CleanROM-odexed/Xposed/ElementalX
Nexus 5 32GB
Nexus 7 32GB (2013)
Nexus 4 8GB-Moved to Better Home!
Nexus 7 16GB-Moved to Better Home!.
Nexus 7 32GB-Moved to Better Home!

resplin
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Still no stock recovery

Quote:
Originally Posted by wantabe View Post
Flash the wifi factory image. I assume you're talking about flashing in adb. Once you flash the correct image it should all be good. I've never even tried to encrypt the drive so can't offer any help there. If you use flash-all you will need to reflash TWRP afterwards then SuperSu.
Thank you for trying to point me in the right direction, but I had already tried your suggestions.

The link you shared is for the official distribution of twrp. I tried it, and though it flashes fine, it did not help me return to the stock recovery.

I have been flashing the stock recovery from developers.google.com/android/nexus/images. It flashes without error, but when I try to boot to recovery I get the sick android (red exclamation mark). This happens whether I flash just the recovery image, or do a flashall, or an update.

I have been using fastboot instead of adb to flash the images.

Any ideas on why after flashing the stock recovery I cannot boot into it?

wantabe
Old
Thanks Meter 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by resplin View Post
Thank you for trying to point me in the right direction, but I had already tried your suggestions.

The link you shared is for the official distribution of twrp. I tried it, and though it flashes fine, it did not help me return to the stock recovery.

I have been flashing the stock recovery from developers.google.com/android/nexus/images. It flashes without error, but when I try to boot to recovery I get the sick android (red exclamation mark). This happens whether I flash just the recovery image, or do a flashall, or an update.

I have been using fastboot instead of adb to flash the images.

Any ideas on why after flashing the stock recovery I cannot boot into it?
I'm sorry about the link, not that it does any good now but the link is corrected. Using fastboot to flash the images is correct, I too often use adb as a generic term for both. When you boot into the stock recovery you will see the android with the exclamation mark and that is normal. Finally got the new 2012 N7 I bought as a gift and was updating it. Been a while since I've booted into a stock recovery. So... Boot into stock recovery, when the Android with the red exclamation mark appears, hold down power first, followed quickly by volume up. You should now see the recovery menu. Whoop, Whoop!
"Don't confuse me with facts, I've already made up my mind!"

AT&T HTC One X - 4.2.2 CleanROM-odexed/Xposed/ElementalX
Nexus 5 32GB
Nexus 7 32GB (2013)
Nexus 4 8GB-Moved to Better Home!
Nexus 7 16GB-Moved to Better Home!.
Nexus 7 32GB-Moved to Better Home!

resplin
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Talking It works!

Thank you very much for your patient explanation. That helps a lot.

I hadn't realized that there was an additional step after the display of the warning android in order to enter stock recovery. All that time I spent trying to fix something that wasn't broken! <sigh>

I was unable to get the device to display the stock recovery menu, because it appears to require a very precise timing (I just keep rebooting it back to the system by accident). However, encryption did work fine. My confusion with the encryption was compounded by the fact that encryption of the Nexus 7 in 4.4 doesn't always work the first time (see this thread at android central: forums.androidcentral.com/google-nexus-7-tablet-2013/337078-experiencing-difficulty-encrypting-my-2013-n7-after-4-4-build-krt16s-upgrade.html). After trying 4 times in a row, the device encrypted. I was then able to put Team Win Recovery back on the device, and everything works perfectly.

Thank you again for your help. I don't see how to mark the thread as solved, but I am glad that everything appears to work now.