XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Switching to T-Mobile or ATT

Tip us?

Shibby87
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 49
Default Switching to T-Mobile or ATT

New data stats for 2014 are out and it looks like ATT is giving VZW a run for their money with T-Mobile trailing as a close third. ATT data plans are a little cheaper than T-Mobile, but they do not have an unlimited tier, T-Mobile does however and they finance the Nexus 5. From my understanding, ATT supports the Nexus 5, but don't offer financing, so buying it retail from Google or second hand is the only option, which I plan on doing in a few months.

I'm thinking about switching after the holidays and was wondering if the GS3 for VZW is compatible with either carrier's data bands. Has anyone successfully switched to ATT or T-Mobile using the GS3 subsidised by VZW?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

elrichmeister
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Can't, Vzw is cdma. Att and T-Mobile are gsm

Sent from my SCH-I535 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Droid 1 Cyanogen Mod 6.1.2 or Sapphire (Retired)
HTC Thunderbolt Rooted Liquidsmooth (Retired)
VZW Samsung Galaxy S3

Restola
Old
Thanks Meter 489
Just sell the gs3 for $225 on swappa add $125 of your money and buy a n5.

Shibby87
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by elrichmeister View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restola View Post
Just sell the gs3 for $225 on swappa add $125 of your money and buy a n5.

Well that sucks, VZW is like communist Russia or something lol.. I would just sell it however its like a year old with some wear.. Doubt I'd be able to get more than $150 for it. I don't mind paying retail, figure switch to a cheaper carrier, keep the GS3 for 4-5 months and save the monthly difference for a new N5.. Guess that's not possible since they use different bands.

bobloblaw1
Old
(Last edited by bobloblaw1; 24th December 2013 at 06:48 PM.)
Thanks Meter 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by elrichmeister View Post

Not quite true. You can, but you be stuck on Edge (no HSPA+ or LTE AFAIK). But as previous posters have stated, your best off selling the verizon device and picking up a Tmo one (Most Tmo devices work on ATT and Tmo, Many ATT devices are locked to ATT).

And I would compare Verizon to totalitarian Russia, but message received. =)

donnyp1
Old
Thanks Meter 472
None of this matters for those who need all over cell service. I travel all over the midwest, att, tmobile, and sprint all suck for coverage area. If they are good in your area and you dont travel, go for it. You will have little to no rural coverage which also means no data in those areas.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using xda app-developers app

Shibby87
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by donnyp1 View Post
None of this matters for those who need all over cell service. I travel all over the midwest, att, tmobile, and sprint all suck for coverage area. If they are good in your area and you dont travel, go for it. You will have little to no rural coverage which also means no data in those areas.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using xda app-developers app
I'd stick with VZW if they still supported nexus devices and weren't trying to lock down everything else, guess there's no incentive for them to do so. ATT has a little over half the amount of towers VZW has with faster data transfer, T-Mobile has about a third and Sprint's LTE is still in infancy.

Old
Thanks Meter 78
From what I've read, you sacrifice 4g by using this phone on T-Mobile. That's all.

Sent from my Last Ever Samsung Device.

caain
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shibby87 View Post
I'd stick with VZW if they still supported nexus devices and weren't trying to lock down everything else, guess there's no incentive for them to do so. ATT has a little over half the amount of towers VZW has with faster data transfer, T-Mobile has about a third and Sprint's LTE is still in infancy.

No incentive indeed. Big red is losing points with me fast.. especially since losing my unlimited data. Sprint's LTE is an absolute joke at this point, but it seems the silver lining is T-mobile's expanding network. If they support your area and you don't need to travel much, an unlocked Nexus 5 on their $30/mo plan is looking very tempting. The 100 minutes a month thing sucks, but there's always voip alternatives.

Naddict
Old
Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 13092
Probably best here. http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1886399
Every time you don't use search, a kitten, bunny, baby turtle, and fuzzy Harp Seal are killed.

Read the Rules! -- Search Before You Post! -- Learn about XDA -- Need A Moderators Help? -- Get the Most out of XDA! -- Curious about GPL?

THREAD CLOSED
Subscribe