XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Surface

Tip us?

nmbbf
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 14
Default Surface

Ok so I just bought in X-mas a Surface RT for my younger brother, but I'm having some trouble dealing with it... Is there any way to make a windows 8 program work on it? And install apps outside the store ?
Owned devices

A lovely LG Optimus 4x HD (rooted and unlocked bootloader) modified stock v20c

Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 (rooted)

Samsung Galaxy Gio , which introduced me to the Android world, Cm 7.0 rooted

A stupid iPod touch 4th gen, jailbroken and tweaked

SixSixSevenSeven
Old
Thanks Meter 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmbbf View Post
Ok so I just bought in X-mas a Surface RT for my younger brother, but I'm having some trouble dealing with it... Is there any way to make a windows 8 program work on it? And install apps outside the store ?
The Surface RT uses an ARM processor. Windows 8 uses an x86 processor. Simply not compatible with one another so applications in order to run on RT need porting to ARM (and for most software this isn't possible due to lack of source code for software and RT compatible development tools).
To top that off, microsoft insisted on locking windows RT so that it will not run desktop software unless it has a special signature attached and microsoft are the only people who can do that. For windows RT 8.0 there is a jailbreak which bypasses this restriction and allows specially ported software to run on the device, microsoft patched part of the exploit in the RT 8.1 update though so you cannot jailbreak yet. Assuming it is the Surface RT and not the surface 2, it may still have RT 8.0 on it as the default OS and if not you can get an 8.0 recovery image, stick it on USB and then downgrade the tablet to 8.0 yourself (as newer ones tend to come with 8.1 preinstalled). If it is actually a surface 2, they cannot be downgraded to 8.0.

The jailbreak is here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2092158
A list of software available is here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2092348

Otherwise, if you bought it specifically to run windows 8 software, you bought the wrong device.

Sideloading modern apps is possible. (Powershell is preinstalled on the device, search for it from the start screen, then press and hold/right click and select run as admin).
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodDayToDie View Post
Powershell (as Admin): Show-WindowsDeveloperLicenseRegistration (you can type "show-w" and then hit Tab and it will auto-complete).
Hit Enter and follow the instructions. You can use any Microsoft account, even a throw-away created for the purpose, to do the registration.
To install an app package (.APPX file), you can do it manually via Powershell but it's a *lot* easier to run the .PS1 script that should come with the .APPX. That script will take care of all the steps for you, in order, easily.
However there isn't really any market in 3rd party .APPX files. We do not condone piracy here and as far as I am aware no-one has managed to rip commercial apps to APPX anyway. Otherwise nobody distributes them publically. I think the same guy I quoted above referenced 1 app existing, but you certainly arent going to find a giant repository like cydia for iOS with a huge listing of appx files you can download and sideload. End result is that to anyone but a developer, sideloading isn't so useful.
The Following User Says Thank You to SixSixSevenSeven For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]