5,600,335 Members 35,095 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

I can't boot into custom recovery (TWRP)

Tip us?

Brushstroke
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 48
Default I can't boot into custom recovery (TWRP)

I'm having a problem flashing a custom recovery on my Nexus 7. I'm trying to install the TWRP recovery for the "flo" version and it doesn't seem to install. I mean, it says it does in fastboot mode but when I reboot to recovery it goes to the stock recovery instead (the green android with the red triangle) and just stays on that screen for minutes. What gives?
Phone
HTC One S
S-OFF
HBoot 2.15
CyanogenMod 11 Official Nightlies
Android 4.4.2 KitKat

Tablet
Google Nexus 7 (2013)
Android 4.4.2 KitKat (Stock)
Rooted

meekrawb
Old
Thanks Meter 712
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brushstroke View Post
I'm having a problem flashing a custom recovery on my Nexus 7. I'm trying to install the TWRP recovery for the "flo" version and it doesn't seem to install. I mean, it says it does in fastboot mode but when I reboot to recovery it goes to the stock recovery instead (the green android with the red triangle) and just stays on that screen for minutes. What gives?
You used
fastboot flash recovery twrp.img?

Brushstroke
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by meekrawb View Post
You used
fastboot flash recovery twrp.img?
Yep. Solved it though. Apparently in 4.4 they've made it so that the device will replace TWRP with the stock recovery immediately after rebooting if you don't boot into TWRP immediately after installing it using:

fastboot boot name-of-recovery.img

Then you have to change the name of a file while in TWRP. In TWRP go to Mount and select System. Then go back to the main screen and press Advanced > File Manager. Browse to /system and select a file named recovery-from-boot.p and rename it to recovery-from-boot.bak. And you should be able to go into TWRP like normal.
Phone
HTC One S
S-OFF
HBoot 2.15
CyanogenMod 11 Official Nightlies
Android 4.4.2 KitKat

Tablet
Google Nexus 7 (2013)
Android 4.4.2 KitKat (Stock)
Rooted
The Following User Says Thank You to Brushstroke For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]