5,600,429 Members 32,220 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

MTP on VZW Note 3 with Slackware Linux

Tip us?

Frank Westlake
Old
(Last edited by Frank Westlake; 25th December 2013 at 10:31 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 94
Default MTP on VZW Note 3 with Slackware Linux

Here's what I had to do to get MTP working on Slackware Linux.I'm providing the method as an update archive but it is a simple task if you wish to do it on your own, just read the internal script.

Instructions:
1. Place 'mtp.zip' on your device.
2. Reboot into Recovery.
3. Choose Install.
4. Find and select 'mtp.zip'.
5. Reboot.
6. Plug the device into Linux.
7. Wait until the Verizon CD Installer has unmounted.

You may need to install something on Linux to provide MTP . This is probably the simplest:

https://github.com/hanwen/go-mtpfs

The text at the bottom has a link to pre-compiled binaries.

Here is the script I use to mount/unmount MTP (usinf 64-bit binary):
------
#!/bin/bash
delay=0
if [ "$1" == "on" ]; then delay=1; go-mtpfs.x86_64 -allow-other=true -android=true /media/mtp&
elif [ "$1" == "off" ]; then fusermount -u /media/mtp
fi
sleep $delay
mount|grep "/media/mtp" >/dev/null && echo MTP is active. || echo MTP is disabled.
------
USAGE:
mtp on # Mounts the device at /media/mtp. The directory must exist.
mtp off # Un-mounts the device.
mtp # Reports the state.

Merry Christmas!
Frank

SGH-I717(AoCP6.4), SM-N900V/MI9(dlV), XDA Premium
Attached Files
File Type: zip mtp.zip - [Click for QR Code] (4.0 KB, 8 views)

christianpeso
Old
Thanks Meter 79
Not trying to be funny, but what is the point of this? My Note 3 already mounts as MTP after you chose to do so. Meaning plugging into PC, pull down notification, and chose MTP. Or Plug into PC, wait about 30seconds, and then phone will automatically change to MTP and you can see both internal storage and your SD card under explorer. Am I missing something here?

Now if you can bypass that Verizon CD Installer and go straight to MTP, than you would be on to something.

Frank Westlake
Old
(Last edited by Frank Westlake; 25th December 2013 at 09:44 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by christianpeso View Post
My Note 3 already mounts as MTP after you chose to do so. Meaning plugging into PC, pull down notification, and chose MTP. Or Plug into PC, wait about 30seconds, and then phone will automatically change to MTP and you can see both internal storage and your SD card under explorer.
Mine did not, nor did any when I bought it. Which version did you first have this ability with, MI9, MJ7, or MJE? Did you add any support applications on the PC which added this ability? I am still using MI9.

Quote:
Originally Posted by christianpeso View Post
Now if you can bypass that Verizon CD Installer and go straight to MTP....
Working on it.

Frank

christianpeso
Old
(Last edited by christianpeso; 25th December 2013 at 09:39 PM.)
Thanks Meter 79
All versions I believe. When I 1st got it, that's how I was transferring data to my phone. Also how I transferred the files needed to root my device onto my device.Used Stock, Hyperdrive and Beanstown ROM and they all varied from MJ7 to MJE and they all had MTP just fine. I believe all Samsung phones have MTP built in. How else would they expect us to plug the device into our PCs.

EDIT: I know I enable "Developer Options" on my phone by going into the "About" settings and tapping build number about 7 times or so. Then went into Developer Options and enabled "USB Debugging". That might be it.

Frank Westlake
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 94
Yes, you are correct. When I got the Note 3 I was on Windows and did not use MTP because I could not access the files with any program, only File Explorer used MTP. After I switched to Linux I was not able to use MTP until I applied the method here, so maybe this is only useful on Linux.

What I really want is UMS enabled.

Frank