XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Anyone replaced the screen on Z1

Tip us?

Geoffxx
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 35
Default Anyone replaced the screen on Z1

any experience separating the alloy frame from the screen frame body, do I need to remove all the buttons etc and ribbon circuits or can it be lifted out still intact so I don't have to re-seal all the buttons, I bought a screen with the plastic frame, I have all the main adhesive strips

any help please

Geoffxx
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 35
can't believe I'm going to be the first person to replace a Z1 screen

will report back once it's completed, I'm sure I'd be able to help others needing to do it also

Avantiel
Old
Thanks Meter 24
im guessing it wont be waterproof anymore after an lcd replacement

kadett-k2
Old
Thanks Meter 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avantiel View Post
im guessing it wont be waterproof anymore after an lcd replacement
Why it shouldnt be waterproof? You just have to do it properly. Buy new back cover with glue like this one on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121213627408...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

and here is dissassembly guide

http://www.xperiablog.net/2013/09/15...ssembly-guide/

wezzel98765
Old
Thanks Meter 15
I have done two screen replacements on the LCD and 1 on the Z. It's actually very easy. I'm surprised these phones are waterproof to be honest!

Geoffxx
Old
(Last edited by Geoffxx; 22nd December 2013 at 09:00 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by wezzel98765 View Post
I have done two screen replacements on the LCD and 1 on the Z. It's actually very easy. I'm surprised these phones are waterproof to be honest!
may I inquire as to why you haven't answered my above question then or rather this one as I've more or less sussed out the whole procedure but here's what I'm a little unclear about

1. How the ribbon circuit connects to the magnetic charging port as I don't want to remove it from the Alloy frame

2. Can the Alloy frame be removed with the headphone socket still inserted into it.

3. Is the speaker grill and ear speaker sealed with some sort of film or cover inside the alloy frame and inner frame

Yes I have the full set of 5x Adhesive gaskets which are all required to maintain the waterproof shell - the only thing I'm not clear about are the above three questions

Also the guide on Xperiablog does not go to the full disassembly required for screen replacement, the Xperia Z1 has 5x layers there are only 3x shown (the easy ones) on the guide - the last two are the most difficult

I fully intend to maintain the waterproof shell when I have completed the job - partly why I am doing it myself

and the ebay link above is not what is required - you need a little more than that but you do not need a new back panel just the adhesive gasket

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Back-Panne...item3a875a0249

wezzel98765
Old
Thanks Meter 15
Sorry - I didn't actually read the full post that you made - I will have a read tomorrow when I'm at work and get a minute to sit down and type a response

Geoffxx
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 35
Quote:
Sorry - I didn't actually read the full post that you made - I will have a read tomorrow when I'm at work and get a minute to sit down and type a response
still waiting - you won't find it on the net, so if you know the answer please share or just say you don't know

wezzel98765
Old
Thanks Meter 15
The magnetic charging port is attached in to the side of the midframe which then has two contact points which touch 2 contact points on the main board

THe headphone jack slots in to the frame if I can remember rightly, it just lifts out from the slot

I don't know the answer to number 3 as I didn't notice this...

Geoffxx
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 35
Quote:
The magnetic charging port is attached in to the side of the midframe which then has two contact points which touch 2 contact points on the main board

THe headphone jack slots in to the frame if I can remember rightly, it just lifts out from the slot

I don't know the answer to number 3 as I didn't notice this...
thanks for that - so both the items can remain in the Alloy frame when it is being removed so I don't have to seal them again