mrzone64
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Question [Q] Just a few questions ;)

What i have done in the last 24 hours:
1. Updated to 4.3 on stock ROM
2. Unlocked bootloader on my Z1
3. Flashed "PhilZ Touch 6" dual bootloader (idk what "dual means" :S) (Dec 3 2013 version)
4. Used the built in root tool in "PhilZ" to root my phone and installed the corresponding app "SuperSU"

Questions:
Does bootloaders come with a custom kernel?
My bootloaders "About" says its made for the "Z" (not Z1). Did i **** up or is this incorrect?
If i flash kernel (for my device) via CWM will i break something?
Does roms require a certain kernel?
Can i flash .img files via CWM or is it required that the file is .zip?
I see kernels on the forum that advertise being 4 kitkat, do i need to flash that kernel WITH a kitkat rom to use that kernel?
Why shuld i flash a kernel?
As CM is not officially supported on the Z1 yet is there a cool alternative rom i can use?

Thats all the Q's i came up with, hope you can help me answer my ridiculous questions and wish me luck on my first android phone!

mrzone64
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
bump

Zerousen
Old
Thanks Meter 22
I won't get my device until tomorrow, but there a few things I could explain:

Some ROMs need to have a specific kernel. You cannot use Stock kernel with Cyanogenmod, or vice versa. Custom kernels are often a good idea to flash if you want some extra optimizations, you can get extra performance and save battery life with an enhanced kernel.

As for an alternative ROM, why don't you just check out the dev forums? There are Cyanogenmod ROMs, they're just unofficial.

Also, did you back up your TA? Otherwise, you'll be in for some real big trouble.
The Following User Says Thank You to Zerousen For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

mrzone64
Old
(Last edited by mrzone64; 26th December 2013 at 03:23 AM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by kusanou View Post
I won't get my device until tomorrow, but there a few things I could explain:

Some ROMs need to have a specific kernel. You cannot use Stock kernel with Cyanogenmod, or vice versa. Custom kernels are often a good idea to flash if you want some extra optimizations, you can get extra performance and save battery life with an enhanced kernel.

As for an alternative ROM, why don't you just check out the dev forums? There are Cyanogenmod ROMs, they're just unofficial.

Also, did you back up your TA? Otherwise, you'll be in for some real big trouble.
****, i did not backup my TA. What does that mean for me?

I read in some threads that TA only gives you the option to revert back to absolute factory defaults. As i am having no problems i dont see why i would do that.

Edit: Thats wierd, my TrackID still works after unlocking bootloader, flashing recovery and rooting. Am i super lucky?

Zerousen
Old
Thanks Meter 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrzone64 View Post
****, i did not backup my TA. What does that mean for me?

I read in some threads that TA only gives you the option to revert back to absolute factory defaults. As i am having no problems i dont see why i would do that.

Edit: Thats wierd, my TrackID still works after unlocking bootloader, flashing recovery and rooting. Am i super lucky?
It's mostly needed for Bravia engine stuff, as well as the BIONZ image processor. I guess if you don't care too much about that, and you don't have any reason to have to go back to absolute factory settings in the case of a warranty return, then it should be fine.