XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Trouble updating to 4.3

Tip us?

cvail71
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default Trouble updating to 4.3

I'll apologize in advance for not trading the entire 41 page thread about the update. I started to read through it and saw discussion about a lot of stuff not pertinent to the upgrade.

I just gave my daughter an S4 for Xmas and trying to update from 4.2.2 to 4.3 (AT&T) before she starts customizing (I will factory reset after the update). I've kicked off the update a few times - message has popped each time about phone being up to date in the middle of the download, but download would continue. Then it would eventually freeze.

The really weird part is that the update says it's a 728MB update, but twice I've gone beyond that size (last time was almost 900MB/125% before it died).

What the heck is going on???

I read there was an update after the original 4.3 update and thought maybe it was actually downloading 2 updates. But I also wonder if I'm downloading the 728MB update twice somehow.

Anyone have any tips/pointers/suggestions?

Thanks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

ted77usa
Old
(Last edited by ted77usa; 26th December 2013 at 12:16 AM.)
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2118

DONATE TO ME
Check your Baseband number if end with MF3......follow my thread ATT-MK2-Update.zip to upgrade to Android 4.3 MK2 Firmware or there is another thread 4.3 Att official Upgrade http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2498897 .....To check your Baseband number go to Menu>Settings>More>About Device .....let me know if u need more help and if i help u anyhow.....hit that thanks button......

Swyped from BlueICESense_JBE

cvail71
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
I'm MF3

The official thread hurts my eyes, trying to sift through 1,200 posts for pertinent information to my situation.

This might be the part where I get in trouble - asking/saying things I might not supposed to on a dev site. But when you start talking about rooting, sideloading - while those are things I could probably do if I put the effort in (I have rooted and put a ROM on one of my tablets), I'm not going to at this time as I think it's ridiculous that I'm unable to update a brand new never been used phone via either OTA or Kies. I'll return the phone unused before I have to do something to it that should be available without a workaround

I'd really appreciate it if someone can comment on how/why I seem to be downloading more than the stated file size.

Thanks

LZLandingZone
Old
Thanks Meter 18
Just downloaded Kies to your computer, plug it in, and update it through there.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using xda app-developers app

cvail71
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by LZLandingZone View Post
Just downloaded Kies to your computer, plug it in, and update it through there.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using xda app-developers app
Tried Kies - told me that the phone version is updatable (or something like that) via Kies.

Just tried OTA updating for about the 8th time - popped up around 500MB that there's an update available and closed the window I was watching the update download on. Hit update and it acted like the download was still in process - picked up saying it was already at 500MBish. Then download went past 728MB AGAIN, and a short time after told me the phone was up to date (no forced restart to install the update). Now it just popped up that it's downloading an update again - shows 754MB/103%, and it's not increasing.

Getting pissed that I've spent about 5 hours on this thing so far today. Giving up and downloading the file Ted posted and figuring out how to flash the update, since that sounds like I won't technically be rooting or flashing a custom ROM.

cvail71
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
I just keep getting more and more frustrated with this thing.

I went through the effort to download the Android SDK on two different machines (it wouldn't launch the SDK Manager on the first one), than had to mess with installing the Java SDK on the 2nd computer because the SDK wouldn't install without that. I finally got the SDK loaded, made sure ADB is installed and running, downloaded the update.zip from Ted's thread, and...

the freakin' phone won't let me boot into Recovery Mode?!?!?!?!?!

I *think* ADB is installed correctly and recognized the phone - I ran 'adb devices' from the command line and it listed the phone. I have tried entering the bootloader myself, and also with the ADB reboot bootloader command. The phone appears to go into the bootloader, but I don't have the ability to do anything - trying to attach a picture of the screen. At the top is just says 'Odin mode' or something.

And help/direction on how to fully get into the mode I need to in order to flash the update?

Thanks

ted77usa
Old
(Last edited by ted77usa; 26th December 2013 at 12:17 AM.)
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2118

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvail71 View Post
I just keep getting more and more frustrated with this thing.

I went through the effort to download the Android SDK on two different machines (it wouldn't launch the SDK Manager on the first one), than had to mess with installing the Java SDK on the 2nd computer because the SDK wouldn't install without that. I finally got the SDK loaded, made sure ADB is installed and running, downloaded the update.zip from Ted's thread, and...

the freakin' phone won't let me boot into Recovery Mode?!?!?!?!?!

I *think* ADB is installed correctly and recognized the phone - I ran 'adb devices' from the command line and it listed the phone. I have tried entering the bootloader myself, and also with the ADB reboot bootloader command. The phone appears to go into the bootloader, but I don't have the ability to do anything - trying to attach a picture of the screen. At the top is just says 'Odin mode' or something.

And help/direction on how to fully get into the mode I need to in order to flash the update?

Thanks

Hold your power button for about 10 second till vibrate.....that would take u to recovery mode ...if not pull your battery off and put it back....and use combo button to go to recovery mode [hold VolumeUp+Home key+Power button] together and when it vibrate let go only power button while still holding volume up and home key.....and when u see samsung galaxy s4 splash screen and also on top left u would see small tiny blue text reboot recovery..... and let go both volume up and home key....that would take u to recovery so u can flash the update .zip files or use ADB sideload......BTW U SHOULD ENTER ADB REBOOT RECOVERY ........and u should have downloaded file inside your sd card already before u do anything.....and hit THANK button if people help u ......
The Following User Says Thank You to ted77usa For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

cvail71
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ted77usa View Post
Hold your power button for about 10 second till vibrate.....that would take u to recovery mode ...if not pull your battery off and put it back....and use combo button to go to recovery mode [hold VolumeUp+Home key+Power button] together and when it vibrate let go only power button while still holding volume up and home key.....and when u see samsung galaxy s4 splash screen and also on top left u would see small tiny blue text reboot recovery..... and let go both volume up and home key....that would take u to recovery so u can flash the update .zip files or use ADB sideload......BTW U SHOULD ENTER ADB REBOOT RECOVERY ........and u should have downloaded file inside your sd card already before u do anything.....and hit THANK button if people help u ......
Finally - after about 10 hours working on the update on xmas day, I got it to update and my daughter was able to start playing with her phone.

Thanks, Ted.

The Following User Says Thank You to cvail71 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]