5,595,196 Members 46,998 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Straight Talk (Tracfone) Sprint Galaxy S3 SCH-S960L flashed wrong modem

Tip us?

SirBenjamin
Old
(Last edited by SirBenjamin; 24th December 2013 at 07:12 PM.) Reason: Changed name
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Question [Q] Straight Talk (Tracfone) Sprint Galaxy S3 SCH-S960L flashed wrong modem

I use the Sprint SlimBean ROM and I had no issues with it on my SCH-S960L. I had no issues with my mobile connection except for the fact that it it took some time to connect to mobile data services or even required a restart or Airplane mode toggled. This along with it sometimes did not switch between 3G and LTE when it should. Because of this I attempted to flash a newer Sprint Galaxy S3 modem. This completely disestablished any connection to services. It has 0 bars and cannot make calls, send texts, or use data. I have tried to reflash the ROM but of course, it did not help at all.

Now in the light of hope, I made a backup of the efs and firmware folders before flashing. I'm not sure how I can fix my issue with this but it was suggested to do so before flashing.

My baseband version was S960LWYAMD6. While I could reflash the old modem, (with help) I would prefer a better modem. (if there are any)

Any help is appreciated.

With best regards,
SirBenjamin

prboy1969
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 6204
Well this just may be your day. Apparently chxnugs just posted the Modem for your particular device HERE. I would update PRL / Profile first just to see if that will help. Also have you tried ##72786# ?

SirBenjamin
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by prboy1969 View Post
Well this just may be your day. Apparently chxnugs just posted the Modem for your particular device HERE. I would update PRL / Profile first just to see if that will help. Also have you tried ##72786# ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by chxnugs View Post
i know this is sprint galaxy s3 section, but the straight talk s3 is basically the same phone and there is no section for it.
if you own this particular model, then you would know that its pure hell trying to find ANY files. this is the stock MD6 modem.bin ripped from my phone. ive seen people ask for this modem because they flashed the MD4 modem in hopes of getting their MSL and/or for the benefits of being able to use the 16-digit password. (which reminds me.. i have read of ways to port the 16-digit password from a .dll file in the phone? i have done loads of searching, but the password is NO WHERE to be found) and needed the stock modem. so for anyone that needs it here it is.

hopefully us ST S3 users will eventually gather up all the odin files to completely restore our phones when needed
I tried to flash the file chxnugs provided. I used both Mobile Odin and replaced the modem file in another flashable ZIP. Neither of them worked and I still get 0 bars/unknown baseband.

Honestly I have no idea what to do to fix this but it needs to work.

Again I say, all help is appreciated.

chxnugs
Old
Thanks Meter 3
ok i extracted a fresh modem.bin straight from my phone. let me know if it works
Attached Files
File Type: zip modem.bin[1].zip - [Click for QR Code] (96.0 KB, 66 views)

chxnugs
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Oh and just asking.. have you extracted the .bin file from the zip and tried it

Sent from my SCH-S960L using Tapatalk

SirBenjamin
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Oh and just asking.. have you extracted the .bin file from the zip and tried it

Quote:
ok i extracted a fresh modem.bin straight from my phone. let me know if it works

I got the same results. I extracted the .bin but renamed it to NON-HLOS.bin since Mobile Odin would not accept it as modem.bin. Am I flashing this wrong?

prboy1969
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 6204
Did you try any of my other suggestions form post #2 ?

chxnugs
Old
Thanks Meter 3
im sure your trying to flash it under phone section.. i managed to try to make a flashable CWM version. maybe you can try that and let me know if it works
Attached Files
File Type: zip CWM_flash[1].zip - [Click for QR Code] (296.0 KB, 36 views)

SirBenjamin
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by prboy19648801865
Did you try any of my other suggestions form post #2 ?
Quote:
im sure your trying to flash it under phone section.. i managed to try to make a flashable CWM version. maybe you can try that and let me know if it works
Proby, I tried to do the other things you suggested. I can't update the PRL/Profile since I'm on a custom ROM. That is unless there is another way. I did not understand what you meant with the number you mentioned. If you wanted me to call that it did nothing.
As for chx, unfortunately it still did not fix it. This quick little modem update is turning into a nightmare. Not only that, but no sound plays, the microphone does not work, and DSP Manager crashes whenever I try to play media.

I really appreciate both of your support though.

SirBenjamin
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Yay! I used Mobile Odin Pro and flashed a file from another thread. It may have been the file or using Mobile Odin Pro since it downloaded the correct driver. I appreciate all of your help, though.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk