5,600,612 Members 33,928 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Can't seem to encrypt with any ROM, reboots instead. How can I troubleshoot this?

Tip us?

generalmx
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Unhappy [Q] Can't seem to encrypt with any ROM, reboots instead. How can I troubleshoot this?

I've been trying for a while now to get my TF101 re-encrypted since I went to Custom ROMs, with no success. I even went as far to go back to stock non-rooted ROM (applying the updates one-by-one like you're suppose to) and it's *still* either rebooting or doing nothing when I select "Encrypt Tablet". Specifically:

Stock 9.2.1.11 - Reboots immediately.
Stock 9.2.1.27 (Latest) - Reboots immediately.
Android HD Revolution - Reboots immediately.
CM10.1 Nightlies - Sits there with the little Android logo, doing nothing.
CM10.2 Nightlies - Same as above.
KatKiss (Latest) - Reboots immediately.

In all cases, the tablet is not successfully encrypted. I guess my next step would be to go back to an even older ROM, such as CM 9.x series. And if that doesn't work, I probably have some nandroids laying around (I always make a nandroid backup).

1-0-1
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by generalmx View Post
I've been trying for a while now to get my TF101 re-encrypted since I went to Custom ROMs, with no success. I even went as far to go back to stock non-rooted ROM (applying the updates one-by-one like you're suppose to) and it's *still* either rebooting or doing nothing when I select "Encrypt Tablet". Specifically:

Stock 9.2.1.11 - Reboots immediately.
Stock 9.2.1.27 (Latest) - Reboots immediately.
Android HD Revolution - Reboots immediately.
CM10.1 Nightlies - Sits there with the little Android logo, doing nothing.
CM10.2 Nightlies - Same as above.
KatKiss (Latest) - Reboots immediately.

In all cases, the tablet is not successfully encrypted. I guess my next step would be to go back to an even older ROM, such as CM 9.x series. And if that doesn't work, I probably have some nandroids laying around (I always make a nandroid backup).
I have logged this issue via bugreport (logcat) for OMNI as well as I experience the same on my Samsung S3 with CM and OMNI. I do not seem to get any answer except it should work. This is becoming a big issue for me personally as I am required to encrypt my phone if I store company e-mail.

I also noticed that with custom ROMs (e.g. OMNI) there is no multi user support although this is clearly a 4.3 and higher basic function. Security on the custom ROMs are reduced it seems ...