XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Soldering Micro USB Port

Tip us?

dilzo
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 35
Default Soldering Micro USB Port

Is there anyway I can just solder a generic micro usb port onto the board (This one: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-ASUS-G...item20dc879607), reason being is that everything works fine except for the micro usb board (a pin broke when I was trying to fix it) how easy would it be to do it and can it be done?

LinearEquation
Old
Thanks Meter 324

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by dilzo View Post
Is there anyway I can just solder a generic micro usb port onto the board (This one: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-ASUS-G...item20dc879607), reason being is that everything works fine except for the micro usb board (a pin broke when I was trying to fix it) how easy would it be to do it and can it be done?
You're just wanting to pull the port off the new board and soldier it on the old board? I don't see why it won't work so long as the joints match up and the legs are not to long. The pin out should be the same. I think you should be fine.

Edit: I guess I should have looked better. I don't know if the first gen has the same layout as the 2nd gen. I can't say if that whole piece will fit right.
[ROOT]
2013 KFHD7 KFSOWI with firmware 11.x.x.x KFSOWI (no camera/no HDMI output) http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2544736 Post 10 at the link has instructions to block Amazon OTA updates on KFHD 7 KFSOWI
Remove Ads from Lockscreen KFHD7 2013 KFSOWI http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=48623841

dilzo
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by LinearEquation View Post
You're just wanting to pull the port off the new board and soldier it on the old board? I don't see why it won't work so long as the joints match up and the legs are not to long. The pin out should be the same. I think you should be fine.

Edit: I guess I should have looked better. I don't know if the first gen has the same layout as the 2nd gen. I can't say if that whole piece will fit right.
I'm saying If I get some generic port off eBay for a couple quid will I be able to solder it onto the old board that looks like the one in the picture? I stupidly posted this in the nexus 2013 forum however this is indeed for first gen. Thanks.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

LinearEquation
Old
Thanks Meter 324

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
I'm saying If I get some generic port off eBay for a couple quid will I be able to solder it onto the old board that looks like the one in the picture? I stupidly posted this in the nexus 2013 forum however this is indeed for first gen. Thanks.

Gotcha, you should be fine.
[ROOT]
2013 KFHD7 KFSOWI with firmware 11.x.x.x KFSOWI (no camera/no HDMI output) http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2544736 Post 10 at the link has instructions to block Amazon OTA updates on KFHD 7 KFSOWI
Remove Ads from Lockscreen KFHD7 2013 KFSOWI http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=48623841

bftb0
Old
Thanks Meter 774
Quote:

The only thing which is standardized about the connector shell is the mechanical details of the mating portion of the connector. How the rest of it mates mechanically and electrically to a supporting PCB/PWB does not need to be standardized at all. So, if you happen to end up with the exact same connector, then great. Just any connector? Not so much.

You might be fine attempting it, but there are risk of damaging the PCB (cracking vias barrels from their land pads (too much heat), accidentally tearing surface copper pads off during component removal, etc.

A good electronics technician will have a number of tricks & techniques for rework/repair operations (e.g. using an excess solder flood during component removal), but chief among these is being able to carefully control the amount of heat being applied (tip choice and a variable temperature controller for the iron).

I bring this up because the cost of everything you need to perform the job well exceeds the part cost for that whole headphone jack/USB port flex cable assembly (US $50) unless you have those good tools already. (I have to suppose you don't; otherwise you could have answered your own question)

If you can find the right connector shell and are determined to do the job with a cheap soldering iron, do yourself a favor and at least buy some paste flux (Kester?) and some fine copper "solder wick" braid along with the solder you buy. And it is probably also a good idea to disassemble the N7 so you are not trying to perform the repair "in place").

good luck
"I'm gonna start coding placebo apps. That way I will be sure that the complaints are real and the praises hollow."

dilzo
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by LinearEquation View Post
Gotcha, you should be fine.
Yeah seems like too much of a hassle, I think I'd just buy the whole board thanks.

peterk-1
Old
Thanks Meter 37
Quote:
Yeah seems like too much of a hassle, I think I'd just buy the whole board thanks.

If you haven't ordered it and you are UK based (from the ebay.co.uk) then PM me with your address and I'll send you a used one FOC.