5,605,685 Members 48,351 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Viiwok Deva HMD - Mobile Gaming

Tip us?
 
Attreyu
Old
(Last edited by KennyG123; 26th December 2013 at 02:48 PM.)
#11  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Posts: 20
Join Date: Jun 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryocoon View Post
I can certainly say this won't be "the first" HMD using a mobile device. I know VRase has demoed units at various conventions/conferences and has some (supposed) VR industry connections. It had a successful kickstarter, but now we are waiting on the actual commercial units. They are promising they will look better than their 3D printed prototypes (which weren't that bad).
Still, more competition in this market is good. The problem is getting content to render in SbS format (Side by Side). Especially for pre-existing mobile games, less difficult for streamed desktop stuff (easy to tell GPU how to do special render cases through injection or driver manipulation).
I wouldn't call Vrase a HMD, they're in a totally different ballpark. Vrase is just an adapter for smartphones. They aren't intended for VR and gaming, the smartphones have screens too small for the needed FOV, and they don't have integrated sensors, meaning you must use FreePie or other 3rd party 6DOF solution. You could use Vrase for basic SBS movie watching and AR (to some extent).
I know because they're spanish, like us. They're our colleagues but they aren't aiming in the same direction. They're more orrientated towards the casual user (movies, leisure), we're going for the gaming part.
Which leads me to your second preocupations, SBS mobile gaming. AFAIK there aren't many mobile shooters worth their salt at the moment, because the cappabilities are not here. Mobile GPUs are weak still, and untill this summer when Logan makes its appearance, we're going to stick to PC streaming.
Things will change, and will change fast in this VR/mobile gaming sector, and our belief is that our product is prepared to help you fill the gap.
 
ryocoon
Old
#12  
ryocoon's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 18
Posts: 191
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: San Jose
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attreyu View Post
I wouldn't call Vrase a HMD, they're in a totally different ballpark. Vrase is just an adapter for smartphones. They aren't intended for VR and gaming, the smartphones have screens too small for the needed FOV, and they don't have integrated sensors, meaning you must use FreePie or other 3rd party 6DOF solution. You could use Vrase for basic SBS movie watching and AR (to some extent).
I know because they're spanish, like us. They're our colleagues but they aren't aiming in the same direction. They're more orrientated towards the casual user (movies, leisure), we're going for the gaming part.
Which leads me to your second preocupations, SBS mobile gaming. AFAIK there aren't many mobile shooters worth their salt at the moment, because the cappabilities are not here. Mobile GPUs are weak still, and untill this summer when Logan makes its appearance, we're going to stick to PC streaming.
Things will change, and will change fast in this VR/mobile gaming sector, and our belief is that our product is prepared to help you fill the gap.
Okay... wait. You say that this is an HMD, but VRase isn't due to the fact you need to use a phone screen. When clearly the difference for yours appears to be (at first glance) that you use a 7" tablet. I get that you have some integrated high-precision sensors, which obviously you wouldn't have if you were using VRase. Even using a simple solution like VRase you can do similar things with that. Yes, you can watch SBS formatted movies. You could also use software to request a GPU to render 3D in SBS and then connect using Splashtop, Kainy, LimeLight, etc. You would be correct in that it wouldn't have head-tracking though (at least not without extra 3rd party sensors or using some software to forward the laggy/innaccurate sensors from the phone/tablet gyros or accelerometers). Still, both end up being Head Mounted Displays, whether they have frills or not.

I truly do wish for you to prove me wrong. If information is available for public consumption, what differentiates your product from others existing in the market? Is it basically just similar to Occulus Rift, but with a wirelessly connected screen powered by a 7 inch tablet (and thereby... upgradeable)? Do you plan to push for public availability prior to commercial release of the Rift?

I get you and agree that mobile gaming horsepower really isn't quite there yet, and the content _REALLY_ isn't there. There are maybe six or so competent shooters out there that were originally programmed for mobile (IE: not counting Quake recodes). As an aside, I do wonder if there a way to runtime modify OpenGL ES calls to force SBS rendering in such apps. I know ChainFire managed to have a Root-required piece of software that allowed for platform specific (Tegra-only, Adreno-only, etc) optimized games to run pretty well on other chipsets. However, that is neither here nor there.
 
Attreyu
Old
#13  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Posts: 20
Join Date: Jun 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryocoon View Post
Okay... wait. You say that this is an HMD, but VRase isn't due to the fact you need to use a phone screen. When clearly the difference for yours appears to be (at first glance) that you use a 7" tablet. I get that you have some integrated high-precision sensors, which obviously you wouldn't have if you were using VRase. Even using a simple solution like VRase you can do similar things with that. Yes, you can watch SBS formatted movies. You could also use software to request a GPU to render 3D in SBS and then connect using Splashtop, Kainy, LimeLight, etc. You would be correct in that it wouldn't have head-tracking though (at least not without extra 3rd party sensors or using some software to forward the laggy/innaccurate sensors from the phone/tablet gyros or accelerometers). Still, both end up being Head Mounted Displays, whether they have frills or not.
Hey, I'm not trying to enter an argumente here with you man If you consider the two similar enough, fair play. They are, in more ways than one. The differences are subtle enough for the average user - size, scope, sensors, etc. As I said before, Vrase is for the casual user, our product would be more towards gaiming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryocoon View Post
I truly do wish for you to prove me wrong. If information is available for public consumption, what differentiates your product from others existing in the market? Is it basically just similar to Occulus Rift, but with a wirelessly connected screen powered by a 7 inch tablet (and thereby... upgradeable)? Do you plan to push for public availability prior to commercial release of the Rift?
You have to take into consideration that the "market" for these products is very much in its infancy. You have the Oculus Rift and then you have the others (Vrase, Durovis Dive, InfiniteEye, Viiwok Deva) which are adapters by all means. Our goal is to achieve full mobility, without that tangled mess. So there are about 4-5 products, out of which only the Rift is out (even though there isn't a commercial version yet) and the Vrase just finished its Kickstarter a couple of months ago. So there isn't much of a competetion between ourselfes. We're all just trying to push VR out in the open.
Yes, we are going to start a crowdfunding campaign this weekend, with delivery starting in April.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ryocoon View Post
I get you and agree that mobile gaming horsepower really isn't quite there yet, and the content _REALLY_ isn't there. There are maybe six or so competent shooters out there that were originally programmed for mobile (IE: not counting Quake recodes). As an aside, I do wonder if there a way to runtime modify OpenGL ES calls to force SBS rendering in such apps. I know ChainFire managed to have a Root-required piece of software that allowed for platform specific (Tegra-only, Adreno-only, etc) optimized games to run pretty well on other chipsets. However, that is neither here nor there.
I totally agree. Mobile SBS gaming isn't here now, and one can only hope for things to change this year. Maybe products like ours will help push things in that direction. Android exclusive content is made of movies and a number of tech-demos here and there (most from Durovis, using Unity engine). So we're focusing to PC titles for the moment, going the streaming way.
 
Attreyu
Old
#14  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Posts: 20
Join Date: Jun 2013




 
Attreyu
Old
#15  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Posts: 20
Join Date: Jun 2013




 
KennyG123
Old
(Last edited by KennyG123; 26th December 2013 at 03:02 PM.)
#16  
KennyG123's Avatar
RC-RT Committee / Senior Moderator / Spider-Mod
Thanks Meter 23925
Posts: 26,504
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Right behind you!

 
DONATE TO ME
If you want to discuss your project, that is fine. But links to funding projects are not allowed.
Thank you for your cooperation
Friendly Neighborhood Senior Moderator

And as this section is for the Nvidia shield it does not belong here.
Best fit will probably be Accessories
Thread moved

Moderator Directory - - - FORUM RULES - - - Support Autism Awareness here
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


TRENDING IN THEMER...