5,595,645 Members 44,541 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Need some help! Trying to Root my HTC One, but think I messed up.

Tip us?

silverphoenix98
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Need some help! Trying to Root my HTC One, but think I messed up.

I have been trying to gain root access on my phone all day and have tried a few different things. I hope I didn't screw things up too badly. Here is what I did.
Initially I tried to use the directions at HTCOneRoot.com only to find when I got to step 17 that I could not unlock my bootloader through HTC's website.
I then did another search on here and downloaded Rumrunner to unlock the bootloader and turn S-off. I downloaded the version for my ROM (1.10.605.15) and ran the program. It ran and actually unlocked the bootloader and turned s-off. I rebooted my device and could not find SU anywhere so I downloaded it from the market. When I try opening it I get the message that the SU binaries are not installed.
I then went back to HTCOneRoot.com and tried to pick up where I left off with a newly unlocked bootloader at their step 22. I got as far as loading their recovery but when I try to boot into recovery mode, the phone boots up as normal. What do I do?

projektorboy
Old
Thanks Meter 88
Did you happen to use this page in particular? - http://htconeroot.com/htc-one-root/h...ndowsmaclinux/

If that was the page you use, it seems like you skipped over an important part at the top of the page:

Quote:
This root method will work on all of the following HTC One smartphones:

HTC One M7 – AT&T/T-Mobile/International/Unlocked/Developer

HTC One M7WLS – Sprint

Also will work on Android 4.2.2 and Android 4.3.
You'll notice that our variant, the M7VZW is missing from this tutorial. That site is not the way to unlock your bootloader, get S-OFF, or get root.

Go to the Development forum and grab the Rumrunner S-OFF tool for 1.10.605.15. That'll fix your phone up.

BladeRunner
Old
Thanks Meter 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverphoenix98 View Post
I have been trying to gain root access on my phone all day and have tried a few different things. I hope I didn't screw things up too badly. Here is what I did.
Initially I tried to use the directions at HTCOneRoot.com only to find when I got to step 17 that I could not unlock my bootloader through HTC's website.
I then did another search on here and downloaded Rumrunner to unlock the bootloader and turn S-off. I downloaded the version for my ROM (1.10.605.15) and ran the program. It ran and actually unlocked the bootloader and turned s-off. I rebooted my device and could not find SU anywhere so I downloaded it from the market. When I try opening it I get the message that the SU binaries are not installed.
I then went back to HTCOneRoot.com and tried to pick up where I left off with a newly unlocked bootloader at their step 22. I got as far as loading their recovery but when I try to boot into recovery mode, the phone boots up as normal. What do I do?
the Rummrunner package for .15 does indeed NOT give you root. You'll need to flash a custom recovery with fastboot, put the superuser.zip on your internal sd card and flash in recovery.

---------- Post added at 05:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:48 AM ----------

Quote:
everything you need is here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2416431
The Following User Says Thank You to BladeRunner For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

projektorboy
Old
Thanks Meter 88
So why does the ZIP package for 1.10.605.15 have superuser.apk and su binary in it if it's not intended to be installed as part of the S-OFF process?

BladeRunner
Old
Thanks Meter 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by projektorboy View Post
So why does the ZIP package for 1.10.605.15 have superuser.apk and su binary in it if it's not intended to be installed as part of the S-OFF process?
Apparently there's an issue with the package. You just have to do it manually. I ran into the same thing. Ran rummrunner like 3 times and couldn't figure out why I didn't have root.

---------- Post added at 06:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:07 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by projektorboy View Post
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...73644&page=108 check post #1073 from beaups, I think he knows what he's talking about....
The Following User Says Thank You to BladeRunner For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

santod040
Old
Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 5123

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
You just need to grab a Recovery for the Verizon HTC One from the Verizon HTC One Original Dev Section here in the forums.
Then after that, stay away from most anything that refers to the HTC One unless it says the Verizon HTC One.
Current Devices: HTC Thunderbolt | HTC Droid DNA | HTC One

Follow me on Twitter
ULTIMATE WALLS WVGA Wallpaper Collection
Donations always appreciated! Never required!

silverphoenix98
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Thumbs up Thanks!

Thank you so much for the help guys! I followed your links and flashed TWRP. Then was able to install SU and now have full root access!