5,593,293 Members 33,757 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Need root without computer, bootloader unlocked...

Tip us?

Aaron061992
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Storage Need root without computer, bootloader unlocked...

I have checked at least hundred threads now, but my problem seems unique! (First time this happened to me )
When I connect my N7 (WiFi, 32 GB) to my laptop (Win 8.1), it says "USB device not recognized - The last USB device you connected to this computer malfunctioned, and Windows does not recognize it." In Device Manager, it is like the image attached, no other recognition for the device. Upon selecting Properties, It says "Code 43" in status, also says "A request for the device descriptor failed". That happened with 2 computers; I used 2 cables (both worked previously). So it means N7's USB port is somehow malfunctioning. But it gets charged as well as ever!!

This started after I tried an OTA update of 4.4 earlier (the download had not completed, but a prior small update (1-3 MB) was installed).

Now, I have Android SDK (latest version) and installed those google USB driver and platform-tools. I have NRT 1.7.9 (which worked for me previously). But I cant get my N7 to answer to ADB requests. Upon connecting USB, it says "Charging (USB)" but no option regarding PTP or MTP appears. I have developer tools installed. I followed the instructions given in NRT about ADB installation to the letter but still no progress. I have tried a factory reset too.

BTW, I dont have a custom recovery flashed. It vanished along with the precious root privilage.

Now the N7 is in Android 4.3 (JWR66Y), bootloader is unlocked, SuperSU is Installed (but do not work due to having no root access and I cant even Uninstall it for the same reasons!!!). Now the OTA update also do not work mysteriously (it downloaded the 4.4.2 update and went on to install it, but as the bar started filling, it only said "error" and stopped!!! no explanations whatsoever!!!!). I will be very happy any of the followings:
1. root without computer (wireless ADB is also welcome),
2. working OTA, or anyhow the 4.4.2 update
3. working ADB connection with my laptop.

Any help will be very helpful... Thank you in advance...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Devic Manager Basic Dialouge.JPG
Views:	255
Size:	28.7 KB
ID:	2470782  
Creed's v3.5 with deepakjoshi's transparent ICS theme on a supercharged and linked SGY
Thats all for now...

bftb0
Old
Thanks Meter 774
If you can not communicate via USB hardware, then using fastboot is not an option (obviously). And so therefore the lock state of your bootloader is quite irrelevant, too.

Even if you were to get adb over tcp (WiFi) working, that doesn't get you much, as an adb login shell on a stock ROM is just an unprivileged user; it's not much different from using a terminal emulator app (from a privilege escalation point of view).

The only other thing left is an exploit (privilege escalation) method that runs under the stock ROM. Something similar to that Motochopper exploit from some time ago. I suppose that particular hole was plugged; whether or not a new exploit exists, I can't tell you.

You could always just send the tablet back for repair. Seems like not having a working USB port is pretty crippling to someone who wants to root, flash ROMs, copy backups off the tablet, etc.
"I'm gonna start coding placebo apps. That way I will be sure that the complaints are real and the praises hollow."

Aaron061992
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Thank you for the replying...
Actually I lack warranty as I bought this from eBay weeks before it was officially available in India. Therefore I kept that repair thing as a last resort. I am now trying it through Linux. And being a noob there, its going too slow. However I have got the ADB working and detecting the device, so its not a port issue (I dont know why the hell windows was so adamant on that point!)... But I am yet to figure out how to flash the image... thank you for the tip over wi-fi, i was actually hoping to wait for it...
Creed's v3.5 with deepakjoshi's transparent ICS theme on a supercharged and linked SGY
Thats all for now...

bftb0
Old
Thanks Meter 774
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron061992 View Post
Thank you for the replying...
Actually I lack warranty as I bought this from eBay weeks before it was officially available in India. Therefore I kept that repair thing as a last resort. I am now trying it through Linux. And being a noob there, its going too slow. However I have got the ADB working and detecting the device, so its not a port issue (I dont know why the hell windows was so adamant on that point!)... But I am yet to figure out how to flash the image... thank you for the tip over wi-fi, i was actually hoping to wait for it...
Well that is very different than having a broken USB port.

You probably noticed in your search that this forum is littered with thousands of reports from users complaining about their Windows drivers. It gets pretty old, frankly. (No drivers are needed at all for Linux or Mac OS/X).

Here is a suggestion that I made in another thread just a few days ago about using fastboot under Linux - in your case, you will be on your way after installing a recovery, e.g.

Code:
fastboot flash recovery openrecovery-twrp-2.6.3.1-grouper.img
I even attached the most recent version of the (Android SDK Linux) fastboot to that post.

Note that you don't even need a dual-boot PC or PC with a semi-permanent Linux install; you can do the whole thing with one of those "Live CD" boots and a USB stick.

good luck
"I'm gonna start coding placebo apps. That way I will be sure that the complaints are real and the praises hollow."
Tags
adb not working, ota not working, root without pc