5,595,645 Members 45,477 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Loving CM11 - Cleaning Up Internal Storage Freeing Memory?

Tip us?

jazee
Old
(Last edited by jazee; 25th December 2013 at 09:34 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
Default Loving CM11 - Cleaning Up Internal Storage Freeing Memory?

Merry Christmas everyone!

For Christmas I gave myself a new ROM (4.4.2 KitKat ala CM11 Nightlies.) I've been a weekend tweaker/hacker for some time but the last two or three years, due to 'playing/fixing' sucking too much time, I decided to stay stock (just rooted.) However, too many questions/uncertainties surrounding the 4.3 OTA, I decided to say bye bye Samsung & AT&T with your control freak measures and your bloat. So far, first 24 hours, I am SO happy. My phone is SO much faster on CM11, love the KitKat features, huge improvement in battery life (may be because I selectively restored only a portion of my apps.), etc. I thought it would be hell going with a custom ROM due to battling the bugs but so far it's been smooth sailing (knock on would). And I LOVE that my interface is now consistent with my Nexus 7. I think I'll be a CM user for life unless I go to a Nexus phone in the future.

When I installed CM11, I did a Factory Wipe/Reset of Data and Cache (via CWM.) I could swear I had like 9GB of the internal storage free. Since installing CM11 and latest GAPPS I now have only 4GB on free internal storage. And I only restored about 60% of the apps of previously had (restored via Titanium Backup). Considering CM11 has less bloat, I'm wondering what happened to my free internal storage. Could there be a lot of files leftover that were not erased? Where should I look or what tool should I use. Already tried using Clean Master - no significant improvement.

After further thought... where is the 'Nandroid' backup I made with CWM stored? I don't see it on the external SD card so I'm guessing that's the culprit and I need to move it off the internal SD on preferably onto my PC. Just need to locate it. The begs the question, if I did a Nandroid backup, then a wipe, obviously the wipe doesn't delete the Nandroid backup - so where does CWM hide it?

Happy Holidays!

UnknownTroll1
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazee View Post
Merry Christmas everyone!

For Christmas I gave myself a new ROM (4.4.2 KitKat ala CM11 Nightlies.) I've been a weekend tweaker/hacker for some time but the last two or three years, due to 'playing/fixing' sucking too much time, I decided to stay stock (just rooted.) However, too many questions/uncertainties surrounding the 4.3 OTA, I decided to say bye bye Samsung & AT&T with your control freak measures and your bloat. So far, first 24 hours, I am SO happy. My phone is SO much faster on CM11, love the KitKat features, huge improvement in battery life (may be because I selectively restored only a portion of my apps.), etc. I thought it would be hell going with a custom ROM due to battling the bugs but so far it's been smooth sailing (knock on would). And I LOVE that my interface is now consistent with my Nexus 7. I think I'll be a CM user for life unless I go to a Nexus phone in the future.

When I installed CM11, I did a Factory Wipe/Reset of Data and Cache (via CWM.) I could swear I had like 9GB of the internal storage free. Since installing CM11 and latest GAPPS I now have only 4GB on free internal storage. And I only restored about 60% of the apps of previously had (restored via Titanium Backup). Considering CM11 has less bloat, I'm wondering what happened to my free internal storage. Could there be a lot of files leftover that were not erased? Where should I look or what tool should I use. Already tried using Clean Master - no significant improvement.

After further thought... where is the 'Nandroid' backup I made with CWM stored? I don't see it on the external SD card so I'm guessing that's the culprit and I need to move it off the internal SD on preferably onto my PC. Just need to locate it. The begs the question, if I did a Nandroid backup, then a wipe, obviously the wipe doesn't delete the Nandroid backup - so where does CWM hide it?

Happy Holidays!

Yea same thing happened with me, usually the cwm backups are located in an emulated storage. Happy Holidays to you too!!!!
Device: AT&T S3
ROM: Quantum ROM w/ Quantum Kernel
Hit the button if I helped you out!

jazee
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownTroll1 View Post
Yea same thing happened with me, usually the cwm backups are located in an emulated storage. Happy Holidays to you too!!!!
Bingo. As expected. Had to startup ES File Explorer, enable root explorer, do some more digging, and found it in Data/Media/clockworckmod

Moved to SD card then to PC. 3.6GB freed.

I was a little distraught though to see in the data directory, lots of folders for old apps that are no longer on the phone. The CWM Wipe functions don't get rid of this stuff. So essentially is the only option to browse all the folders and make your own decision on what can go? Possibly a lot of work for little return though unless you do a folder list by total filesize?

UnknownTroll1
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Bingo. As expected. Had to startup ES File Explorer, enable root explorer, do some more digging, and found it in Data/Media/clockworckmod

Moved to SD card then to PC. 3.6GB freed.

I was a little distraught though to see in the data directory, lots of folders for old apps that are no longer on the phone. The CWM Wipe functions don't get rid of this stuff. So essentially is the only option to browse all the folders and make your own decision on what can go? Possibly a lot of work for little return though unless you do a folder list by total filesize?
Yea some of the crap in there, not really sure why its just thrown into random folders.
Device: AT&T S3
ROM: Quantum ROM w/ Quantum Kernel
Hit the button if I helped you out!

drx895
Old
Thanks Meter 86
When on CM 11, /data/media/ is the directory for the original sdcard (what you saw when on Touchwiz) and the 0 is the emulated storage for CM 11. If you backup to the internal, your backups can be in
/data/media/0/ or /data/media/. As said before, all the other folders and files are left over from before putting CM 11 on.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Current Phone
Rooted AT&T Samsung Galaxy S III
Latest Quantum 4.4 KitKat with QuantumKernel
Project Butter at its finest

jazee
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by drx895 View Post
When on CM 11, /data/media/ is the directory for the original sdcard (what you saw when on Touchwiz) and the 0 is the emulated storage for CM 11. If you backup to the internal, your backups can be in
/data/media/0/ or /data/media/. As said before, all the other folders and files are left over from before putting CM 11 on.

Are you saying anything not in the /data/media hierarchy can be deleted?

drx895
Old
(Last edited by drx895; 26th December 2013 at 05:11 PM.)
Thanks Meter 86
Quote:
Are you saying anything not in the /data/media hierarchy can be deleted?
Edit: The best answer is no. The other partitions like /system/ are crucial for your system even being able to boot.

Current Phone
Rooted AT&T Samsung Galaxy S III
Latest Quantum 4.4 KitKat with QuantumKernel
Project Butter at its finest