5,604,219 Members 49,593 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Wallet (secure element broken)FIX!!

Tip us?

moose1313
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 198
Default Wallet (secure element broken)FIX!!

Ok so this may be old but I was probably one of the few that decided not to turn in my newly bought note 2 for a refurbished one just because my google wallet app wasn't working right. But I'm here to say there is a fix! Now I am no dev,and have no way to figure out exactly what fixed it but I can give you the steps I took. I actually was just upgrading to kitKat and accidently fixed it. So I deleted google wallet app and it's backup (in titanium backup)had my wallet account reset.(which google has to do, this alone did not fix the problem. Email them)I Waited two days, was flashing 4.3 roms while I waited. Coming from dirty unicorns3.8 I flashed the smrf tool and put Mk4 on my phone. Then used PA gapps 121513 4.4.2, cm11 121913, and plasma kernel for KitKat. Wiped everything besides external. EVERYTHING. Flashed the goods and did not restore any app data *.got dev tools enabled and changed run time to ART. wallet was installed with the gapps. I was about to delete it (like I always do)but I decided to our open it. And viola it is now up and working again. And just to recap I did have the secure element broken message for almost 5 months now. And without swapping my phone it now works. Hope this helps others like me who hung on to their notes when this happened to them.

digida
Old
Thanks Meter 6
I observed the exact same thing, but I do not believe any of the steps you outlined corrected the secure element issue. Kit kat now uses a different method that is software based to securely store Wallet information so the secure element is not needed/used. I decided to test that theory when I realized Wallet was working on CM11 by going back to stock rooted being careful to reset Wallet prior to the flashes. Sure enough on the stock rom, the secure element was still fried. Looks like for those of us wanting Wallet on a device with a non functioning secure element we will have to run a kit kat rom.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to digida For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

moose1313
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by digida View Post
I observed the exact same thing, but I do not believe any of the steps you outlined corrected the secure element issue. Kit kat now uses a different method that is software based to securely store Wallet information so the secure element is not needed/used. I decided to test that theory when I realized Wallet was working on CM11 by going back to stock rooted being careful to reset Wallet prior to the flashes. Sure enough on the stock rom, the secure element was still fried. Looks like for those of us wanting Wallet on a device with a non functioning secure element we will have to run a kit kat rom.
Good to know. I was under the assumption the secure element was directly tied to Google and that was tied directly to your device. I didn't think a different version of android would fix it. I have tried reverting back to 4.1,4.2,and 4.3 and saw no difference but when trying 4.4 it did work but that was after trying everything I described.