XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Brightness changing automatically on GPE

Tip us?

SCWells72
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 79
Question [Q] Brightness changing automatically on GPE

I got my GPE yesterday and while setting it up, I noticed that the brightness would change on its own intermittently from the same bright white that I have on the LGE I picked up last weekend to something like what folks are describing as the more yellow-tinted display on other threads. Note that I do *not* have auto-brightness enabled! This is happening when I have the brightness cranked all the way up to 100% without auto-brightness.

If the screen were yellow-tinted all the time, I'd think it's the same issue others are reporting, but since it does vary between the two randomly, I'm thinking/hoping that it's software and not a hardware issue. Does this sound familiar to anyone else? If so, does anyone know of a way to lock it in on the brighter/whiter setting?

havoc999
Old
Thanks Meter 1
My GPE is doing the same. Brightness will either dim or brighten on its own. It's a very subtle change, but definitely noticeable. Also its very intermittent and I've only noticed it in chrome, Google now. I also have auto brightness disabled and brightness at or near 100%.

Sent from my LG-V510 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

SCWells72
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by havoc999 View Post
My GPE is doing the same. Brightness will either dim or brighten on its own. It's a very subtle change, but definitely noticeable. Also its very intermittent and I've only noticed it in chrome, Google now. I also have auto brightness disabled and brightness at or near 100%.

Sent from my LG-V510 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
I contacted Google support and they're sending me a replacement. I'll post here as to whether that solves the problem or not.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SCWells72 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

jeff327
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Just got my replacement for the exact same issue. Unfortunately the new tablet does the exact same thing. I originally had the LG version and never had this problem. Only in the GPE edition.

SCWells72
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff327 View Post
Just got my replacement for the exact same issue. Unfortunately the new tablet does the exact same thing. I originally had the LG version and never had this problem. Only in the GPE edition.
Exact same experience here. My Galaxy S4 does something similar. I found one thread the other day saying that Android lowers the brightness automatically when the device temperature hits a certain level (95F, maybe?). I've never seen this on my other Android devices, but I'm kind of resigned to this being the case. It's really my only nit with an otherwise outstanding device, so I guess I'll live with it.