5,603,646 Members 37,200 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] How to transfer clockwork recovery backup to new phone?

Tip us?

Kaczman
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 22
Default [Q] How to transfer clockwork recovery backup to new phone?

Hello all,

First off merry christmas. Secondly, I got a new phone to replace my waterlogged S4 (dont buy OBEX case.) The great news is that it has MDL on it, not MK2.

I can still access and use my old phone. It just has no menu or back button.

Is there a way to take a backup or image from clockwork recovery and put it on my new S4? What would be the best process and steps to follow?

Thanks in advance for anyone that can help!

Android_Monsters
Old
Thanks Meter 759
Should be pretty straight forward. Make a cwm backup of your old phone. Put it on your SD card.
Root the new phone and and install cwm. Put the SD card with the backup on it in the new phone and restore.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

HampTheToker
Old
Thanks Meter 173

DONATE TO ME
Why not just clean install to avoid potential issues?
The Following User Says Thank You to HampTheToker For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

bobolinko
Old
(Last edited by bobolinko; 26th December 2013 at 09:47 PM.) Reason: sp
Thanks Meter 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaczman View Post
Hello all,

First off merry christmas. Secondly, I got a new phone to replace my waterlogged S4 (dont buy OBEX case.) The great news is that it has MDL on it, not MK2.

I can still access and use my old phone. It just has no menu or back button.

Is there a way to take a backup or image from clockwork recovery and put it on my new S4? What would be the best process and steps to follow?

Thanks in advance for anyone that can help!
If the phones are the same MODEL and from the same Provider (T-Mobile) you should be easily able to do it.
First requirement tho is that the new phone should be Rooted like the old one. (I presume it is as you have had CWM backups on the old phone)

Install CWM on the new one, and make a backup and name the backup as "original" or something that you will know it's of the new phone.

Connect the OLD phone to your computer and look in the folder where your OLD CWM Backup was done.
Copy the entire Blockworkmod/backup folder to a folder on your computer's hard drive (anywhere that is easy for you to find later)

Then disconnect the old phone and connect the new one.

Copy the clockworkmod\backup folders CONTENTS to the new phone's Clockworkmod/Backup folder.

You should then be able to get into recovery mode and do a CWM Restore from the file(s) you copied to it.

the old phone (if you didn't backup to an external SDCard) would have the backups stored in
Data/Media/clockworckmod

if you cannot see it using your computer, you can try using ADB to get the file and put on your computer and then later copy it to the new phone.
an External SDCard would be much easier (I'm not sure if you know how to use ADB tho.)

if you didn't have an External SDCard, your backup is located in Data/Media/clockworckmod

Hope this helps you....
Aloha and Good Luck!