5,606,409 Members 33,619 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

For a 4.3 ROM, you need to install 4.3 bootloaders. Are there any drawbacks?

Tip us?

drdoombot
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
Default For a 4.3 ROM, you need to install 4.3 bootloaders. Are there any drawbacks?

I'm considering upgrading to a 4.3 rom from 4.1.2 and I've learned that a stock image of 4.3 must be flashed first (thorugh Odin?) to update the bootloader to 4.3.

Is there any drawback to upgrading? Will I still be able to flash 4.1.2 roms using the 4.3 bootloader? Will I be able to downgrade to the 4.1.2 bootloader (should the need arise)?

Side question: is Odin the only way to update the bootloader? Can it be flashed through TWRP?

Irwenzhao
Old
Thanks Meter 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by drdoombot View Post
I'm considering upgrading to a 4.3 rom from 4.1.2 and I've learned that a stock image of 4.3 must be flashed first (thorugh Odin?) to update the bootloader to 4.3.

Is there any drawback to upgrading? Will I still be able to flash 4.1.2 roms using the 4.3 bootloader? Will I be able to downgrade to the 4.1.2 bootloader (should the need arise)?

Side question: is Odin the only way to update the bootloader? Can it be flashed through TWRP?
You'll have Knox. (Stock) which locks u down cause u can't downgrade and by rooting, you're going for a un-reset-able Knox Warranty Void trigger. Downgrading bootloader is impossible as of now, but flashing ROMs should be possible. (Should, not damn sure)

Side Answer: don't think so. Just flash stock 4.3 through TWRP and u should be good to go.

Smack that thanks button If I helped!
Note 2 LTE powered by Illusion ROM and Plasma Kernel.
Sent from dat small country called Singapore.
P.S. Quote my post for replies ASAP.
Smash that Thanks button if I helped!
KitKat came in on my OmniRom, running on my fabulous Note 2.
Sent from a small country called Singapore.
P.S. Time for school, not much time for XDA.

Bruce lee roy
Old
(Last edited by Bruce lee roy; 26th December 2013 at 11:34 PM.)
Thanks Meter 121
Quote:

I'm running 4.3 JediMasterX2 with old bootloader and devil kernel and everything seems to be running fine. There was a very informative post made recently they gave a clean and simple explication of pros and cons to bootloader update. I'll try to locate and post a link but long story short, it's in your best interest not to update bootloader if you don't have to.

Edit:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=48817694
The Following User Says Thank You to Bruce lee roy For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

drdoombot
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce lee roy View Post
I'm running 4.3 JediMasterX2 with old bootloader and devil kernel and everything seems to be running fine. There was a very informative post made recently they gave a clean and simple explication of pros and cons to bootloader update. I'll try to locate and post a link but long story short, it's in your best interest not to update bootloader if you don't have to.

Edit:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=7694
Invalid link.

ciphercodes
Old
Thanks Meter 173
This may help.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=48817694

Sent from my SGH-T889 using xda app-developers app
The Following User Says Thank You to ciphercodes For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

0.o
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:

Please don't do the official update and get yourself locked down like many of us have. I have flashed many 4.3 roms and they worked fine. Got a new phone and did the official update and now I cannot send this device in for warranty because of the KNOX flash counter.

Bruce lee roy
Old
Thanks Meter 121
Quote:
Invalid link.
Sorry idk what happen but it's fixed. Cipher also posted link a few post up.