5,599,337 Members 37,965 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Help ,How too get ota safely noob here.

Tip us?

xan3x
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default [Q] Help ,How too get ota safely noob here.

Hello and Happy holidays to all , I am currently on 4.2.1 stock rooted . Do I fxz back to stock and get ota then root , or is there some other steps I have to take. I am reading and hearing that My boot loader will get locked or I wont receive update phone will say it has been modified.

tfly212
Old
Thanks Meter 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by xan3x View Post
Hello and Happy holidays to all , I am currently on 4.2.1 stock rooted . Do I fxz back to stock and get ota then root , or is there some other steps I have to take. I am reading and hearing that My boot loader will get locked or I wont receive update phone will say it has been modified.
If you take the official OTA you will definitely get a locked bootloader, and lose root. Root may be possible down the road but there are no guarantees. If you want to ensure root and an unlocked bootloader you need to follow the directions in this thread http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2578458
AllianceROM 24
Devices previously Rooted and Rommed: Charge, Captivate, Nook Color, Lenovo IdeaPad A1, DINC, Razr Maxx

kkemp31
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Is there going to be a zip I can flash in twrp to up date with out having to be on a rom just on the 4.3.1 I don't have access to a computer and never used odin some help would be nice this my first Samsung all I my other phones were moto and we're different doing the updates

Sent from my SCH-I605 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Foots
Old
Thanks Meter 1
My question is I think I want to jump to 4.3, but I'm not sure how. I am stock rooted with locked bootloader. I'm still on 4.1.1 with VRALJB. I was always satisfied with the stock rom so never saw the point in unlocking the bootloader. What is the easiest way for me to update since I'm really not interested in root access anymore?

geekcop
Old
Thanks Meter 5
My question is why would you want to go the VZW 4.3 OTA? As previously mentioned, you'll lose root access, end up with a locked bootloader,and likely get a bunch of bloatware. There's plenty of 4.3 custom ROMs out there that will do much more for your device.
" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready
in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. "

George Orwell

kkemp31
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I dont want that. I'm new to the note 2. I've been on moto phones with locked bootloaders. So I've not had to worry bout locking down my bootloader until now. Ive rooted my note 2 and installed roms on it. Im just trying to find a update that I can use with out installing a rom in order to get to 4.3 1.
I've never used odin and don't have access to a computer right now. In starting to think that i can't get to 4.3.1 with out a computer. Was just hoping I could use twrp to flash a mod version of the update to get there

tfly212
Old
Thanks Meter 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkemp31 View Post
I dont want that. I'm new to the note 2. I've been on moto phones with locked bootloaders. So I've not had to worry bout locking down my bootloader until now. Ive rooted my note 2 and installed roms on it. Im just trying to find a update that I can use with out installing a rom in order to get to 4.3 1.
I've never used odin and don't have access to a computer right now. In starting to think that i can't get to 4.3.1 with out a computer. Was just hoping I could use twrp to flash a mod version of the update to get there

So far I have not seen any reference to a recovery flashable firmware file...odin only. That said, with a computer, odin is really easy to use so when you get to a PC you can do it in about 3 minutes.
AllianceROM 24
Devices previously Rooted and Rommed: Charge, Captivate, Nook Color, Lenovo IdeaPad A1, DINC, Razr Maxx

kkemp31
Old
Thanks Meter 0
So can I just do the mod update and not have to install the rom or it a package deal ? Just asking cuz with the razor all I had to do was the update .