[Q] troubleshooting activating Epic 4G on MetroPCS

Tip us?

HACKhalo2
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1

DONATE TO ME
Default [Q] troubleshooting activating Epic 4G on MetroPCS

So, I ordered some Epics on Amazon after I burnt the motherboard connections to the Digitizer on my Huawei Activa 4G (they were $39 a piece, great deals for phones that a crapton better then the Activa's). I followed this guide down to the "T", but I can't get the Epic to connect to MetroPCS. It keeps trying to connect to Verizon. I tried the 2xxx and 3xxx MetroPCS PRL's with no luck. Is there anything I missed, or is there anyone that can help with troubleshooting? I would like to surprise my fiancee with this phone (the other one I bought) as a Christmas present, and since we are grandfathered into the unlimited data plan on Metro, I would seriously like to stay with them.

Thanks!

Mr_You
Old
Thanks Meter 12
Quote:
First thins is first, you need to get the esn added to metropcs.
If you cant add the esn in the inventory it will not work.
Did you do this?

Also keep in mind that MetroPCS is migrating or being decommissioned to T-Mobiles GSM network.

HACKhalo2
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1

DONATE TO ME
Apparently adding a new serial number to MetroPCS will kick me off the unlimited data plan, which is stupid. And, each time I try to add the ESN to MetroPCS, they give me a different excuse as to why it can't be added (device not supported, esn not valid, etc). It's starting to sound easier to set up this phone (and keep my data) myself. I'm going to try and see if I keep climbing the ladder of MetroPCS supervisors and hopefully get someone that'll be happy to keep me in my promotional plan AND set up my new phones. Else, I'm not sure what other ways to go about this. I don't think I should lose my data because my POS phone died, and I sure as hell don't want to pay $60/mo per phone when I already pay $135 for 3.

Mr_You
Old
Thanks Meter 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by HACKhalo2 View Post
(device not supported, esn not valid, etc)
This type of response tells me that the reason it won't activate is because they will not allow a Sprint phone on their network. Period.

If you can activate T-Mobile phones under your unlimited plan then personally I would try to sell these phones (see Ting info below) for near what you paid and get a T-Mobile compatible S II or better on your plan. CM 10.1 works well on the Epic 4G but occasionally it can be a little pokey sometimes and memory is tight. Also you still need to boot into Samsung Gingerbread FC09 to activate, etc., see link below. It may be a selling point to flash these phones to CM 10.1 (definitely enable the ability to boot into FC09 as mentioned below).

Otherwise if you insist on using these this is probably your only option:

If you're lucky find a cheap Samsung Galaxy S (same as Epic 4G) that will run on Metro PCS and either use it, or if its broken, try to migrate its ESN/MSEID to the Sprint Epic 4G. I don't know how this is done, but I have read this is the way you can get competing carrier phones onto competing networks. This should allow you to activate the phone. How well it will work considering MetroPCS is ditching CDMA is just a guess.

I was going to suggest some options involving a MetroPCS hotspot, but then I thought that might not qualify under your unlimited plan?

Regarding selling them:

If you know anyone who has decent Sprint coverage and barely uses data, but still wants to use a smartphone over WiFi then convince them to buy your phone and sign-up with Ting (http://www.ting.com). Give them $25 credit with my link: https://z25ms41o9h2.ting.com/

Dual-boot from CM 10.1 into Samsung Gingerbread FC09 for PRL, Profile, Activation, Sensor Calibration:

http://epiccm.blogspot.com/2012/01/b...om-sdcard.html

Good luck!