Media request: questions about Android 64-bit

Tip us?

mikeydangerous
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default Media request: questions about Android 64-bit

Hey everyone,

My name is Michael Heller. I'm a writer with PhoneArena.com and I'm working on an article about what Google has to do in order to move Android into the 64-bit world. The article is a work in progress, but I was hoping to get some insight from those of you who likely have more knowledge and understanding of the code than I do.

The article (still in the process of being written), can be found here.

As you can see, I have the basic framework sorted out, but there are some specifics that I need help with relating to the Dalvik VM and the Android runtime and how it will all work once Android is updated to 64-bit, but is still running 32-bit apps. From what I've learned so far, is that Android's multitasking will gonna cause issues on ARM64 due to its *mandatory* EL handling when switching between 32 and 64-bit mode. A single 32-bit app running on 64-bit Android will cause performance issues for the system, and drain the battery much faster.

I'm wondering if there is a way to avoid these issues with bytecode apps on a 64-bit machine, and I'm hoping some of you can help me out with basic fact-checking in my article.

Thanks!

MidnightDevil
Old
Thanks Meter 720
Well, if Google wanted to start building a 64 bit version of Android, I guess wouldn't be hard, seen as we already have 64bit linux distros for a while.
The only thing I can think of, is either a 64bit implementation is not required yet (available software for android still manages fine with 32bit limitations), and/or Google is keeping the face with the hardware manufacturers.
Eventually will happen, it's just a matter of needing. (Typical market demand).

Mobile: LG Optimus 4X HD

Be tolerant and use Good & Common Sense.

--- Interesting Reading ---
Android Terms / Slangs / Definitions and Guides Revised
Free RAM' Is NOT Wasted RAM
What exactly batterystats.bin does.

Get 15GB of Free Space!!!

Visit our IRC channel and participate irc.freenode.net #p880-dev

Don't reply or post just to increase your posts number, make sure you know what you're talking about before posting to reduce the amount of false information around.
MD

3DSammy
Old
(Last edited by 3DSammy; 24th December 2013 at 05:03 PM.)
Thanks Meter 279
From my point of view 64 bit will be manitory as 4GB devices will be needed with the super screen resolutions coming soon. I have a Nexus 10 with 2GB but due to the memory allotted to the screen there is not much left for apps. This last week Samsung announced even screen higher resolutions coming next year.
Google Nexus 5 & 10: [4.4.2] rooted Stock, Franco kernel (on N5, on N10), TWRP, Xposed, GravityBox, SuperSU Pro and ViPER4Android Audio Effects FX

Dri94
Old
Thanks Meter 543

DONATE TO ME
Good insights but he's looking for technical descriptions

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to Dri94 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]