5,605,120 Members 37,580 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

how is storage configured on Nook HD's ?

Tip us?

carkev
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
Default how is storage configured on Nook HD's ?

as my title says, I am interested in how B&N have configured the storage on Nook HD's - especially compared to my older tablet
I have a 7" 16 gig Nook Tablet (model BNTV250) and have now converted it into a rather good Android Tablet.

as you may know, as a stock device, B&N had the internal storage configured so that only 1 gig was available to users,and the rest being there only for B&N downloads.
(which is useless for UK users like me as they wont' sell anything outside the USA!) that setup effectively made both the 8 gig and 16 gig to be 1 gig only,
for US users, they did relent, and would re-partition to 5/8gig (for free) in their stores.

thanks to all the great help here at XDA, I was fortunate enough to root mine, install a CM 10 rom and CWmod, and repartition it to 11/1 gig in my favour,
and now have a great tablet as I said. elsewise it would be pretty useless to a UK owner.

I know the HD's have Google play on them, but don't know if they are full Android also.
does one have to go through re-partitioning them to make them of any real use over here? ....can UK owners buy from B&N with them?.

if any UK owners of HD's could advise me, I would be very grateful

leapinlar
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3406

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by carkev View Post
as my title says, I am interested in how B&N have configured the storage on Nook HD's - especially compared to my older tablet
I have a 7" 16 gig Nook Tablet (model BNTV250) and have now converted it into a rather good Android Tablet.

as you may know, as a stock device, B&N had the internal storage configured so that only 1 gig was available to users,and the rest being there only for B&N downloads.
(which is useless for UK users like me as they wont' sell anything outside the USA!) that setup effectively made both the 8 gig and 16 gig to be 1 gig only,
for US users, they did relent, and would re-partition to 5/8gig (for free) in their stores.

thanks to all the great help here at XDA, I was fortunate enough to root mine, install a CM 10 rom and CWmod, and repartition it to 11/1 gig in my favour,
and now have a great tablet as I said. elsewise it would be pretty useless to a UK owner.

I know the HD's have Google play on them, but don't know if they are full Android also.
does one have to go through re-partitioning them to make them of any real use over here? ....can UK owners buy from B&N with them?.

if any UK owners of HD's could advise me, I would be very grateful
The HD/HD+ configures the media storage much differently than the Tablets. Go to my HD/HD+ Tips thread linked in my signature and read the 'data structures' section.

Sent from my BN NookHD+ using XDA Premium HD app
See my Nook Color Tips Thread here,
and my Nook Color EMMC Partition Repair Thread here,
and my Nook Color Updated CM SD Installation Instructions here,
and my Nook HD/HD+ stock tips thread here
and my Nook HD/HD+ CWM Root Tools thread here
e.mote's Nook HD/HD+ Dummies Guide for installing CM10.1/CM10.2 here
The Following User Says Thank You to leapinlar For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

carkev
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by leapinlar View Post
The HD/HD+ configures the media storage much differently than the Tablets. Go to my HD/HD+ Tips thread linked in my signature and read the 'data structures' section.
Sent from my BN NookHD+ using XDA Premium HD app
many thanks Leapinlar, that was very helpful indeed - I did search before my OP, but never thought of using 'data structures'
I am very pleased with my current Nook, but was a bit concerned that if I upgraded to a HD model, that I would have to repartition etc.

the post you mentioned was very thorough and I now have it 'bookmarked'
it is obvious that you have a great deal of knowledge, and it is this sharing that makes XDA such a great community.
all the best for the New Year.
Kevin