5,605,766 Members 48,341 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Warning about cleaning the gap!

Tip us?

JohnnyGui
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Warning about cleaning the gap!

Hey all!

So I received my new black S4 a couple of days ago and had been enjoying it a lot. That is, until I tried to clean the gap between the bezel and the glass that is accumulating dust over time. As I searched the internet on how to do that, I found out that the corner of a piece of paper would do the trick since a lot of people do this.

So one evening I did as I read on the internet and indeed, a lot of dust came out and I was happy. However, the next morning when daylight shone on my precious S4 I realised that the piece of paper I had slid through the gap also caused it to scratch the very side of the glass!
I was quite surprised that a piece of paper was able to do such a thing but the thought of a papercut made it somewhat obvious.

Now, the whole left side of the glass has an extra white line (aka the scratch) running along the side of the glass (it looks as if it's just beneath the glass). It is only visible when light is shining in particular directions on the phone. Still, I'm quite pissed at myself right now for doing such a thing.

So does anyone else clean the gap with a piece of paper? Did you guys notice any scratch/line along the side of the glass afterwards?

(Sorry if I'm being too OCD about this, I guess I have to find a way to get over it :P)

saywhatt
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1410
well, you've got every right to be oc coz our s4 is a premium phone :P haha

I never did try using paper.. What i use is a scotch tape and push it carefully with something thin like a needle :P but thanks for the info my friend.. This has given me a heads up

And sorry bout the scratches tsk

Sent from my GT-I9505 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

JohnnyGui
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by saywhatt View Post
well, you've got every right to be oc coz our s4 is a premium phone :P haha

I never did try using paper.. What i use is a scotch tape and push it carefully with something thin like a needle :P but thanks for the info my friend.. This has given me a heads up

And sorry bout the scratches tsk

Sent from my GT-I9505 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Hmm, that could have been a better option now to think of it. The thing is I didn't feel any friction at all while I was sliding the paper through it so I thought no harm would be done.

Anyway below is shown what I ended up with.
It does look like dirt between the glass and the bezel. However, I just can't remove it so I automatically assumed it must be some damage to the side of the screen beneath. I wonder what's actually at the bottom of the gap.

Still not able to digest this ;P
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC09889.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	138.0 KB
ID:	2477641